Stores up; still no MBP updates.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Did we really expect it from Steve today? Should we expect it in the next week?

I'm sure a lot of people are getting very angry. Like the new nanos, though.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I don't think it was really expected for today. I'd expect it within the next couple weeks instead.
  • Reply 2 of 80
    Me too! But I had this pipe-dream of getting an updated MBP and a free updated iPod Nano. I really want both, but I can't wait any longer. I'll order my 17" MBP and free "old" iPod Nano tonight.
  • Reply 3 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SquireM

Me too! But I had this pipe-dream of getting an updated MBP and a free updated iPod Nano. I really want both, but I can't wait any longer. I'll order my 17" MBP and free "old" iPod Nano tonight.

You wouldn't have gotten a free nano anyway... the Mac Pro and new iMac aren't eligible for the free ipod program.

I was really hoping, but the more I thought about it, MBP just doesn't fit in with the whole "It's Showtime" theme. I really hope against hope that NEXT tuesday comes with a silent MBP update...
  • Reply 4 of 80
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I feel a bit let down. I have saved and saved for an MBP and once I heard rumor of the Merom I decide to wait. Now I have a hole burning in my pocket, yet I will wait for the release. I figure that it will come with other updates to make it all that much better and what's another week or two anyway. Consider that I'm going to finally depart from my Pismo that I've had since 2000, I want to get as much for my money as possible. Hmmmm, did someone say quad....?
  • Reply 5 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony1

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I feel a bit let down. I have saved and saved for an MBP and once I heard rumor of the Merom I decide to wait. Now I have a hole burning in my pocket, yet I will wait for the release. I figure that it will come with other updates to make it all that much better and what's another week or two anyway. Consider that I'm going to finally depart from my Pismo that I've had since 2000, I want to get as much for my money as possible. Hmmmm, did someone say quad....?

Tony I'm like you, waiting for a Merom notebook. I'll wait till the end of the month, if nothing happens I'll buy a core duo refurb. No way I'll pay full price for a model close to a major change.
  • Reply 6 of 80
    I have been waiting for so long now..even Dell is ready to ship them on Sept 14 so hope apple also releases it. If you go to dell website, it is giving estimated shipping date of sept. 14th. I was so sure that apple will release mbp with merom chips before any other vendor. Lets hope it comes soon.
  • Reply 7 of 80
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

Tony I'm like you, waiting for a Merom notebook. I'll wait till the end of the month, if nothing happens I'll buy a core duo refurb. No way I'll pay full price for a model close to a major change.

Me either, but the big things that I am waiting for is FW800 on the 15" and the new 160gb hard drive. I don't really care about the little processor difference between a 2 ghz core duo and a 2.33 ghz core 2 duo.
  • Reply 8 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978

Me either, but the big things that I am waiting for is FW800 on the 15" and the new 160gb hard drive. I don't really care about the little processor difference between a 2 ghz core duo and a 2.33 ghz core 2 duo.

Yeah the bigger hard drive would be nice. I'm hoping that with the new Merom MBPs the starter $1900 model will come with a 100 gb hard drive and 1 gb of ram( 1 dimm, not 2 512 dimms).
  • Reply 9 of 80
    Doesn't being 64bit push you guys want to wait a bit longer?

If the hdd isn't upgraded would it be so long that one's available aftermarket? I mean for what Apple would want for that option would be nuts anyway. As long as there's a 7200 available (like present) I'll be happy at 100gb for now. Now 4gb of RAM? That's another story, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.
  • Reply 10 of 80
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony1

Doesn't being 64bit push you guys want to wait a bit longer?

Why? For most people the 64 bitness of Merom is of no use at all. The only tangible benefit for the most part is a bit more speed over Yonah. Very little if any software demands a 64 bit processor and they are certainly nothing new to be honest.
  • Reply 11 of 80
    Well either way I'll be incredibly happy with a new portable, considering I can't process anything on this old dinosaur.

The only thing that bugs me is that I won't be able to get online through my Sprint account since they haven't caught up to the ExpressCard/34 technology yet.
  • Reply 12 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhetWurm

You wouldn't have gotten a free nano anyway... the Mac Pro and new iMac aren't eligible for the free ipod program.

I was really hoping, but the more I thought about it, MBP just doesn't fit in with the whole "It's Showtime" theme. I really hope against hope that NEXT tuesday comes with a silent MBP update...

I too have a whole burning in my pocket waiting for the Merom MBP. I have studied marketing and communications and I cannot understand Apple at the best of times. Sometimes it seems like they don't want to "compete" with the other manufacturers and just play clever boy in the corner. A lot of people are desperate to spend money on an Apple MacBook Pro with the chip that every tom, dick and harry is now starting to ship in their laptops. As for silent update, that's just insane!!! How are they EVER gonna do good business doing things like that quietly?

I can understand why they put the merom in the compact casing of the iMac but holding everyone in suspense about the update for the "professional" high-end laptop is stupidity, especially in the now even more volitile marketplace in which comparrisons can be made all to easily (thanks to Apple going Intel and the abilty to boot Windows on Mac).
  • Reply 13 of 80
    The whole Win on Mac thing has bugged me from the get go. That along with the ""professional" high-end" machines being put on the back burner shows me one thing, marketability. Apple isn't as it once was for Artists and designers. They're obviously only after the family consumer market and who can blame them I guess, that is where the money is, not in the lower amount of sales (I'm only guessing here) of the higher end machines. Maybe little by little their plan is to discontinue that higher end line altogether. Simply ask, what is more marketable? I'm most likely wrong here, but it's just something I feel I'm seeing. iPod, iMac, entertainment this way and that way. Hmmmm see a trend?
  • Reply 14 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tartansparkle

I too have a whole burning in my pocket waiting for the Merom MBP. I have studied marketing and communications and I cannot understand Apple at the best of times. Sometimes it seems like they don't want to "compete" with the other manufacturers and just play clever boy in the corner. A lot of people are desperate to spend money on an Apple MacBook Pro with the chip that every tom, dick and harry is now starting to ship in their laptops. As for silent update, that's just insane!!! How are they EVER gonna do good business doing things like that quietly?

I can understand why they put the merom in the compact casing of the iMac but holding everyone in suspense about the update for the "professional" high-end laptop is stupidity, especially in the now even more volitile marketplace in which comparrisons can be made all to easily (thanks to Apple going Intel and the abilty to boot Windows on Mac).

I agree completely, when other players are ready to ship the new laptops, apple should ship it too since there are so many people already waiting..Apple is anyway not planning to change the mbp enclosure or anything so why is there such a long delay in shipping same mbp just with the new chip.
  • Reply 15 of 80
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I am extremely disappointed in the lack of update. I'll cave and buy the current macbook pro this thurs or fri to get the free nano. I can't wait anymore.

If it comes out in the next week or two I'll pay the restocking fee.
  • Reply 16 of 80
    I think that this situation, especially if it drags on into October (or, god help us, even later than October) will have set the tone for the Mactel era. I'm sure the end result will be great -- new MBP! Yet it seems like Mac-heads like us have experienced "rising unmet expectations" about certain things. Time was, we were basically resigned to the fact that with IBM, Apple updates were few and far between. In less than a year with Intel, the common consensus seems to be that Apple should change its traditional update schedule to reflect the constantly evolving roadmap of Intel hardware.

The basic problem of this era is, to what extent should we now hold Apple to the standard of the rest of the computer industry?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tartansparkle

• Reply 17 of 80
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryanx27

I think that this situation, especially if it drags on into October (or, god help us, even later than October) will have set the tone for the Mactel era. I'm sure the end result will be great -- new MBP! Yet it seems like Mac-heads like us have experienced "rising unmet expectations" about certain things. Time was, we were basically resigned to the fact that with IBM, Apple updates were few and far between. In less than a year with Intel, the common consensus seems to be that Apple should change its traditional update schedule to reflect the constantly evolving roadmap of Intel hardware.

The basic problem of this era is, to what extent should we now hold Apple to the standard of the rest of the computer industry?

Well it's not like people want updates like every 3-4 months but the mbp was introed in jan, everything else has changed since then with the exception of the macbook so it becomes hard to buy what can be an almost year old 3000 notebook when everyone else is getting newer stuff.
  • Reply 18 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryanx27

A very question.
  • Reply 19 of 80
    Hi

as many of you I was waiting a MBP revision for today.

I hope Apple release it for this month I can't wait anymore

any probably date?
  • Reply 20 of 80
    Quote:

any probably date?

Yea, "probably" the near future. (:

Seriously, there's no way to tell. There have been guesses on numerous Tuesdays, Keynotes, Silent updates, etc. etc. It can't be very much longer in my opinion, just be patient. I feel it in my bones that it'll be worth the wait when it does arrive.