Student discount on iPods

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I can't help noticing that neither the new nano nor the standard iPod get a student discount in the education store. Is this standard practice for Apple or just because they're newly released - should I expect this to change in the next few days? I've never really taken the time to notice this before.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Ditto. No discount for education faculty and/or staff. The margins must be getting tighter.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sCreeD

Ditto. No discount for education faculty and/or staff. The margins must be getting tighter.

No discount in the UK - however, the 80GB iPod is cheaper than the old 60GB version with the educational discount! (unless there had been a recentish price cut?)
  • Reply 3 of 9
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sCreeD

The margins must be getting tighter.

Which one could construe to mean that Apple's setting up the pricing scheme for the upcoming true "video iPod" or similar device. There's a mighty big gap between the $299 iTV and $599 low end mini....
  • Reply 4 of 9
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Apple first did this with the new wireless mighty mouse. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple eliminates the education discount for everything except Mac hardware and software.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    It really dosen't make business sense for Apple to continue offering a student discount on all things iPod -- they are in such constant demand from college students. The iPod has held its dominance in the mp3 player market remarkably well, and for the vast majority of college students (nay, consumers) the iPod is their #1 choice. Students will surely continue to buy iPods in huge quantities, regardless of any potential discount. Offering a student discount on iPods is nice of Apple (I'm a student, and appreciate it), but it is essentially throwing a chunk of the profit margin in the toilet.

However, when it comes to Apple computers, I think the reverse is true: finding itself in the minority in computer sales (including perennial student favorites -- laptops), Apple's gotta compete. Here, the student discount makes sense, since it might make the difference between a student going with a Dell Inspiron or a MacBook. Students quick to note the difference between the iPod (now one of the key cultural icons of our time) and its competitor's mp3 players may not be so quick to note the differences between Apple laptops and competitor's laptops, aside from obvious aesthetic appeal. Those that will note the difference are the savvy types such as those that frequent these forums. In markets like laptops, where Apple clearly does not dominate in sales, a student discount could be a worthy and smart sacrifice of profit margin. Yet in the realm of the mp3 player -- a term, might I add, that has become synonomous with "iPod" in popular culture -- Apple's dominance can really give no reason from the business perspective to offer a student discount.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Dave K and ryanx27,

You're right on the money. Dead on. I do not think there will be any educational discounts on anything but computers and software. Margins are tight, and the iPod doesn't need any help to increase sales.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    I find that it usually takes a day or two for new hardware to show a discounted price on the educational store. Wait a while and I think it will appear.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K.

Apple first did this with the new wireless mighty mouse. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple eliminates the education discount for everything except Mac hardware and software.

Hi Dave,

The wireless mighty mouse does have a Higher Education discount (in the U.K., at least)
  • Reply 8 of 9
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    yeah just give it a bit of time, it'll come.

It makes sense to give student discounts because it gets students into the apple store instead of best buy.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Here's what I found out about the iPods and the education/student discount:

You are chatting with Brenton, an Apple Expert

Hi, my name is Brenton. How may I help you today?

Brenton: Hi! How are you?

You: good evening. i just have a quick question. are the new iPods subject to my edu discount? i do not see the discounted price reflected on the website

Brenton: I'm happy to assist with that.

Brenton: There is not education discount for the iPods any longer, they all have the same price, which is even lower then the previous education discount.

You: oh wow. thank you. have a nice night :-)

Good for Apple but that sucks for us.

--

Kenya