Apple introduces iTunes 7, previews iTV device

Comments

• Reply 61 of 144
    So I guess Amazon.com pricing is not that crazy huh?. 12.99, 14.99 (depending on when and what video you are buying).. I recall many saying Amazon was nuts to price the way they are.. I guess not even apple can bend hollywood to their will.
  • Reply 62 of 144
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I am thoroughly confused by the iTV. I know what it can do via its Front Row-like interface, but...is that really worth $299? Will people really buy it?

I'm still confused about what the USB port is for. Maybe to plug in your digital camera and show pics directly to your TV?
  • Reply 63 of 144
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

Wtf does iTV even look like?

Engadget Hands-on with the iTV prototype
  • Reply 64 of 144
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

Wooooooo hoooooooo 1000th post!

Thanks sCreeD. Glad to hear it's not letterboxed, or even worse, full 4:3. I can live with that resolution, I'm much less disappointed in Apple now.

What do you think of the encoding quality?

On a 24" Dell widescreen, fullscreen is awful. Not pixellated bad, but fuzzy bad. But of course 640x344 is a bit smaller than 1920x1200... just a bit.

On a standard television, it should look fine. Frame rate is good.

I need to transfer it home. I have the GBP DVD, so I'll be able to compare the two on a Cinema Display and a CRT television.

That will be the real test to answer the question, "How near is 'near-DVD quality?'"
  • Reply 65 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

Someone explain this "gapless playback" thing to me. My iTunes has always overlapped songs by whatever interval (in seconds) I tell it to.

on the ipod, not in itunes. I presume that you realized the who point of this is playing video on your Ipod (or at least, that is a significant consideration). The ipod does not have gapless playback. Unless you are very new to apple forums (any of them), this has been known for a long time.
  • Reply 66 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco

Are you retarded?

I think he is.
  • Reply 67 of 144
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Even most Tv's can't display 640 x 480 because the quality of the set isn't high enough. If you are connected through your tuner, the best you can hope for, with a perfect tuner, is 332x480.

Yes I forgot to mention the tuner. The better televisions (Sony Trinitron) are good, but yes those ultra-cheap Walmart televisions cannot tune the full quality of the signal.

Quote:

If anything Apple offering this product will bring more focus on Elgato and drive sales to them as well, depending on how Elgato markets their competing products.

I agree so far Apple has not competed directly with Elgato and Elgato has been really good at tailoring its products around whatever Apple offers.

Because Elgato knows about the iTV device months before its launch. Its very likely they will be prepared to offer DVR technology to complement it.

Quote:

Nice new interface??????????????? Are you kidding? Why are the interface elements not aqua? What are these hideous new scroll bars? Why do they not respect my preferences to have double scroll arrows at both ends? What happened to the visualiser? What's happened to the search bar?

Its more polished and doesn't feel as much like a toy. Apple is probably moving away from so much of the shiny candy buttons as MS begins to adopt them.

I like the album scroll, I'm sure I'll use that far more than the standard list. The visualizer is under view drop down menu with the graphic equalizer controls. The search bar is in the same place.
  • Reply 68 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnurse

on the ipod, not in itunes. I presume that you realized the who point of this is playing video on your Ipod (or at least, that is a significant consideration). The ipod does not have gapless playback. Unless you are very new to apple forums (any of them), this has been known for a long time.

Gapless playback is now in iTunes too, I just tested it with "Tool - Lateralus", works a treat

Jan
  • Reply 69 of 144
    Apple give me my Equalizer button back!

This is just plum ridiculous. Now I gotta go the Menu thing. Poor, poor design on that part.

Other than that looks great, especially video!
  • Reply 70 of 144
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:

So I guess Amazon.com pricing is not that crazy huh?. 12.99, 14.99 (depending on when and what video you are buying).. I recall many saying Amazon was nuts to price the way they are.. I guess not even apple can bend hollywood to their will.

Don't you know by now, it's nuts if Amazon does it. It's great if Apple does it.
  • Reply 71 of 144
    where's my equalizer button!!?!?!??!

at least the new UI and video funcitonality is better...
  • Reply 72 of 144
    Quote:

This is just plum ridiculous. Now I gotta go the Menu thing. Poor, poor design on that part.

Not necessarily. I imagine out of the millions of iTunes users very few use the equalizer button. It was likely eliminated to trim down clutter.

Apple could though allow some customizing of buttons to give users a choice of which buttons they want.
  • Reply 73 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

Not necessarily. I imagine out of the millions of iTunes users very few use the equalizer button. It was likely eliminated to trim down clutter.

Apple could though allow some customizing of buttons to give users a choice of which buttons they want.

Huh?.. what?.. there are people who didn't use the equalizer button?. I suppose the correct thing to say is that people didn't use it often!!!... but not use it?. How do you listen to music without the equalizer!!
  • Reply 74 of 144
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

How do you listen to music without the equalizer!!

On a decent system where you can hear the music how the artist intended you to hear it?
  • Reply 75 of 144
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    I think they're just playing with UI ideas for Leopard, so possibly that's how Leopard will look like. Or maybe not. Is it possible anyway to skin your App any way you like it in Xcode including scrollbars?
  • Reply 76 of 144
    DUH.... I restarted and everythings cool my tunesa are safe itunes 7 is working like a charm.

the missing buttons at the bottom sucks though..

Question.... does the new Imovie purchases play full screen? as in no finder or file menu stuff?

or do we have to buy quicktime pro for that????

screenshots?
  • Reply 77 of 144
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I think iTunes 7 has a glitch. I've got an album I imported and labeled 1-25 MYSELF with 25 being the last track number. In iTunes 6 they were organized numerically like they should be.

Now in iTunes 7 the tracks are out of order and I can't drag them to where they need to be, wtf?
  • Reply 78 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme

Then I can see how a movies and iPods event would dissapoint you

Re 640x480 quality: that's just under DVD, and matches standard-definition TV. This is GREAT for TV shows.

You do realize that most new TV shows are in High Definition? So to me it's not really "GREAT" for TV Shows that I normally watch in higher resolution than DVD.

Steve
  • Reply 79 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

On a decent system where you can hear the music how the artist intended you to hear it?

yeah, ok.. like your system can reproduce the music the way the artist made it on their million dollar system.. yeah, sure.
  • Reply 80 of 144
    Quote:

Apple’s in your den now, right?” said Jobs. “iTunes on a Mac or a PC. Apple’s in your living room with iTV, driving your big flat-screen TV. Apple’s in your car, with over 70 percent of the 2007 model cars offering iPod connectivity.

Apple should license Front Row for the car. The UI when one plugs their iPod in the car. The user experience would be consistent across all platforms.