Apple unveils new iPod nano

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple today introduced the all-new iPod nano with a new aluminum body, 24 hours of battery life and more than twice the music capacity for the same price as the previous generation.

The new iPod nano features Apple's innovative Click Wheel and an even smaller, thinner and lighter design available in silver, pink, green, blue and black.

"iPod nano is the world's most popular digital music player, and we've completely redesigned it to make it even better," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "The all-new iPod nano gives music fans more of what they love in their iPods?twice the storage capacity at the same price, an incredible 24 hour battery life and a gorgeous aluminum design in five brilliant colors."

With a new aluminum enclosure available in five brilliant colors, there's an iPod nano to match everyone's individual style, Apple said. The second generation iPod nano is even more compact than the original and has a brighter, more vibrant display for viewing album art and up to 25,000 photos.

Intuitive new features such as Search and Quick Scroll make it even easier for music fans to find exactly what they are looking for and enjoy their music on the go, and with seamless integration with iTunes 7 and the iTunes Store, the new iPod nano lets customers choose from over three million songs from the world's most popular digital music store.

The new iPod nano supports gapless playback for enjoying albums the way they were intended. iPod nano also includes Apple's patent pending Auto-Sync technology that automatically downloads a user's digital music collection, photos or podcasts onto iPod nano and keeps it up-to-date whenever iPod nano is plugged into a Mac or Windows computer using USB 2.0. The second generation iPod nano features up to 24 hours of battery life and completely skip-free playback.

Apple also unveiled new accessories designed for the second generation iPod nano, including lanyard headphones, an armband, a dock, and a new compact USB power adapter almost half the size of the previous USB power adapter. The new iPod nano features the 30-pin iPod dock connector allowing it to work effortlessly with a wide range of third-party products, from home stereo speakers to cars featuring iPod integration. There are now more than 3,000 accessories available for the iPod. The second generation iPod nano also works seamlessly with the Nike + iPod Sport Kit, and provides support for voice recording accessories.

Pricing & Availability

The new iPod nano models are now available worldwide through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. The new 2GB iPod nano model in silver is available for $149 (US), the new 4GB models in silver, pink, green and blue are available for $199 (US), and the new 8GB model in black is available for $249 (US). All iPod nano models include redesigned earbud headphones providing superior comfort, fit and sound quality, and a USB 2.0 cable.

New optional accessories designed for the second generation iPod nano with the following suggested retail prices include: lanyard headphones for $39 (US), armband for $29 (US), iPod nano Dock for $29 (US), and an iPod USB power adapter for $29 (US).

iPod nano requires a Mac with a USB 2.0 port and Mac OS X version 10.3.9 or later and iTunes 7.0 or later; or a Windows PC with a USB 2.0 port and Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4), Windows XP Home or Professional (Service Pack 2) and iTunes 7.0 or later. Internet access is required and a broadband connection is recommended.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    I miss the white nano.
  • Reply 2 of 81
    This is going to hurt Sandisk. Their 6GB player is $220. Now, there is a Nano on either side of it.
  • Reply 3 of 81
    Black nano is only available in the 8GB version??? What the heck is wrong with Apple today? All colors should be available in all sizes!
  • Reply 4 of 81
    Click add to Basket, Click complete transaction. My first iPod! Coming down the tube.

On the colours clearly they are rapidly disappearing up their own colured arseholes. I expect more of the same with seasonal variations.

"We are artists not a computer hardware company"
  • Reply 5 of 81
    love them!
  • Reply 6 of 81
    We waited a year for these product upgrades?? Why did it take so long just to get an increase in top-end capacity and a new finish?

No new large screens; no touch screen; no recorders or bluetooth; no satellite radio; no tuners...I just bought the 8gb in black online.
  • Reply 7 of 81
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    um, the radio tuner has been available since the last gen of ipods (admittedly a breakout box, but i don't listen to radio anymore, so i prefer not having it built in, myself)

by the way, to any students still on the fence, you can use the ipod + new mac promotion on THESE ipod nanos for the next, um, four days. 8)

also, is it even possible to anodize (sp?) aluminum in white? i can't recall ever seeing such a thing, which may explain why we didn't get one.
  • Reply 8 of 81
    ok.dumb question. I apologize in advance....

It says you NEED a 2.0 usb. I have an oler G4 Lampshade type imac that only has the slower type of USB.

My current ipod nano works with it, will one of these new ones work?

Thanks.........
  • Reply 9 of 81
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rok

um, the radio tuner has been available since the last gen of ipods (admittedly a breakout box, but i don't listen to radio anymore, so i prefer not having it built in, myself)

by the way, to any students still on the fence, you can use the ipod + new mac promotion on THESE ipod nanos for the next, um, four days. 8)

also, is it even possible to anodize (sp?) aluminum in white? i can't recall ever seeing such a thing, which may explain why we didn't get one.

It is, but it's VERY expensive, and isn't as durable.
  • Reply 10 of 81
    The separate FM tuner is actually a much better solution in my opinion. A built-in option doesn't give you enough of an antenna to get a good signal. I believe that the Apple tuner benefits from the cord to give a clearer signal. Anyone agree/disagree?
  • Reply 11 of 81
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by faithfulFrank

ok.dumb question. I apologize in advance....

It says you NEED a 2.0 usb. I have an oler G4 Lampshade type imac that only has the slower type of USB.

My current ipod nano works with it, will one of these new ones work?

Thanks.........

As far as I understand about USB 2.0 is that it is backwards compatiable but it will just transfer data over at the legacy 1.0 (12 Mbs per second).
  • Reply 12 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

The separate FM tuner is actually a much better solution in my opinion. A built-in option doesn't give you enough of an antenna to get a good signal. I believe that the Apple tuner benefits from the cord to give a clearer signal. Anyone agree/disagree?

That's a nice train of thought, but an FM tuner shouldn't cost $50, and competing players actually do pretty well without an external antenna. The one I had said that an antenna extension runs through dock cable so it can be used to improve antenna reception. It worked well enough without it, with only minor improvement with it.

Personally, I don't care for FM, but some people do. Those that do want FM are not looking at a $40 price difference compared to nano competitors (4GB sansa e260 $159 right now), but $90 difference when you add the FM tuner it takes to get a nano with FM. Granted, the nano is a much nicer product, but I think a lot of people are going to balk.
  • Reply 13 of 81
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Wtf I was gonna get my girlfriend a pink nano 8gb and now I can't! She already has a working pink 4gb mini I got her a year and a half ago, pink nano is useless.

They should have at least done the 8gb in black and pink for men and women.
  • Reply 14 of 81
    I know the screen is too small but I'm surprised at no video and no game support.

I'd buy a 2nd Nano for the games and the odd video clip. Who wants to watch a full length movie on 2.5inch screen let along 1.5inch.

Odd Prices:

US: 30Gb iPod = $249 8Gb Nano = $249 (same)

UK: 30Gb iPod = £189 8Gb Nano = £169 (£20 - approx $30 difference)

Fr: 30Gb iPod = Eur 289 8Gb Nano = Eur 259 (30 Euro difference)
  • Reply 15 of 81
    666666 Posts: 134member
    Meh, looks too much like an old mini...
  • Reply 16 of 81
    There doesn't appear to be an education discount
  • Reply 17 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes

Odd Prices:

US: 30Gb iPod = $249 8Gb Nano = $249 (same)

UK: 30Gb iPod = £189 8Gb Nano = £169 (£20 - approx $30 difference)

Is there a capacity-based copyright levy for music players in the UK?

I think both situations are odd. I'm surprised that the prices of any model line overlap in any region. At least in the last five years or so, Apple didn't let product lines overlap in price that I remember.
  • Reply 18 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 666

Meh, looks too much like an old mini...

Which was their best selling iPod ever at the time.

- Scratches won't show so much.
  • Reply 19 of 81
    666666 Posts: 134member
    And an FM add on is bullshit!
  • Reply 20 of 81
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Am I the only one that liked the old nano better? I don't really like the flat edges on mini and now on the nano because they dent if dropped, smooth edges were better imo.