Apple introduces updated video iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday introduced its new iPod featuring a 60 percent brighter and more vibrant 2.5-inch color display for watching TV shows and now Hollywood movies right in the palm of your hand.

The new iPod features seamless integration with iTunes 7 and the iTunes Store which now includes over 75 Hollywood movies, 220 television shows and popular video games designed specifically for the fifth generation iPod. The new iPod is available in a 30GB model for $249 and an 80GB model, which holds up to 20,000 songs or 100 hours of video, for $349.

"The world's best digital music player has evolved into the world's most popular portable video player too," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "The new iPod's brighter and more vibrant display and longer battery life make it perfect for watching Hollywood movies and TV shows right in the palm of your hand."

The new iPod features Apple's patented Click Wheel for precise, one-handed navigation, and is seamlessly integrated with iTunes 7 which now features gapless playback for enjoying albums the way they were intended to be listened to. iPod's new Search and Quick Scroll feature makes it even easier for music fans to find exactly what they are looking for and Apple's patent pending Auto-Sync technology automatically downloads digital music, podcasts, photos, audiobooks, movies, music videos and popular TV shows onto the iPod and keeps them up-to-date whenever the iPod is plugged into a Mac or Windows computer.

With its high-resolution color display, iPod allows users to view album art and photo slideshows while playing music, or watch video and play games in full color. Popular video games designed specifically for the fifth generation iPod include: "Bejeweled," "Cubis 2," "Mahjong," "Mini Golf," "Pac-Man," "Tetris," "Texas Hold'em," "Vortex" and "Zuma," and are available for purchase on the iTunes Store.

The 30GB model features up to 14 hours of battery life for music playback and up to three and a half hours of video playback, and the 80GB model features up to 20 hours of battery life for music playback and five and a half hours of video playback. The new iPod features brightness control allowing users to easily change the brightness.

Pricing & Availability

The new iPod models are available worldwide through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. The new 30GB iPod model in white or black is available for $249 (US), and the new 80GB model in white or black is available for $349 (US). All iPod models include redesigned earbud headphones providing improved comfort, fit and sound quality, and a USB 2.0 cable.

Optional accessories for the new iPod include: Universal Dock for $39 (US), Apple Remote for $29 (US), Apple iPod AV cable for $19 (US), the iPod Camera Connector for $29 (US) and a new incredibly compact iPod USB power adapter for $29 (US) which at almost half the size of the previous USB power adapter, is perfect for charging your iPod while traveling.

iPod requires a Mac with a USB 2.0 port and Mac OS X version 10.3.9 or later and iTunes 7.0 or later; or a Windows PC with a USB 2.0 port and Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4), Windows XP Home or Professional (Service Pack 2) and iTunes 7.0 or later. Internet access is required and a broadband connection is recommended.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    What happened to the horizontal full screen version?
  • Reply 2 of 78
    Yeah i definitely feel cheated out of a TRUE iPod Video. New Nanos are cool and fine. But cmon when all you do is boost the battery life and the brightness after all this speculation (despite it just being speculation) it does kind of suck even with a movie service.
  • Reply 3 of 78
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    zzzzzzzzzz
  • Reply 4 of 78
    darn, I'm iPod less, and I was waiting for this. Now I'm not sure if I should keep waiting or not!

very dissapointing. But I've been without an iPod for too long, I'll probably end up getting the 80GB version.
  • Reply 5 of 78
    Oh, there doesn't seem to be an educational discount on these either. Maybe Apple wised up and realized they were losing a lot of money by discounting to their largest consumer base (students).... Either that or the store hasn't been updated yet
  • Reply 6 of 78
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lhvide

What horizontal full screen version?

You mean the rumored one? The one that Apple never said anything about?

That one?
  • Reply 7 of 78
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

What horizontal full screen version?

You mean the rumored one? The one that Apple never said anything about?

That one?

Yes, the one that Apple needs to introduce to stay competitive.
  • Reply 8 of 78
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984

Yes, the one that Apple needs to introduce to stay competitive.

When their marketshare starts to fall, i'll worry.

It looks that they did just enough to stay competitive for the holiday season.
  • Reply 9 of 78
    So, my thought is that they'll probably come out with the real thing in October for the 5 yr. anniversary. If not, then by November to squeeze it in before the big holiday buying starts.

If that fails, than it will come out in January by the absolute latest (but not in December, that would be tacky). If not, then you can shoot me (though I'd really rather you didn't)
  • Reply 10 of 78
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

When their marketshare starts to fall, i'll worry.

It looks that they did just enough to stay competitive for the holiday season.

Their marketshare will fall if they don't stay competitive. That's the whole point. Microsofts' Zune goes on sale in a few weeks. While it's not something I would buy but there are plenty who will. Doing "just enough" and trying to coast by? Not a recipe for continued success. The nano and shuffle are nice but if they're serious about video they need an iPod that's not a toy for that particular use.
  • Reply 11 of 78
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Honesly all it really needed to was to be brighter, it's makes it easier for the eyes to focus on.

I hoping for a 40gb but oh well.

And I don't remember microsoft or toshiba saying the zune could play sideways.
  • Reply 12 of 78
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    Will you be able to cue forward with it?

If you turn it off & restart, can you resume playing from where left off?
  • Reply 13 of 78
    I think this takes the step towards, not the Video iPod we all know will come some day, but crucially towards a more functional device.

? The iPod now has a search function and text input.

? The games show just how versatile the click wheel can be made to be.

? The Nano gets voice recording.

Perhaps these are little details but they are steps towards a future device.

As Mr Jobs said 3 or 4 times - hopefully you get a feel for where we are going with our product lines.
  • Reply 14 of 78
    666666 Posts: 134member
    BORING!!!!! Oh well, at least I don't have the want to spend money on a new iPod, that's a pretty stock update.
  • Reply 15 of 78
    Now about getting that search function on the "older" 5G ipods. Certainly the hardware is similar... just need an update right?
  • Reply 16 of 78
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Does the New and Improved iPod come with a magnifying glass? Perhaps a microscope?

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 17 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Caribou Killa

Yeah i definitely feel cheated out of a TRUE iPod Video. New Nanos are cool and fine. But cmon when all you do is boost the battery life and the brightness after all this speculation (despite it just being speculation) it does kind of suck even with a movie service.

My thoughts exactly (heck, I would have settled on a 100GB iPod).
  • Reply 18 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lhvide

Agreed I have been holding off since April expecting the "True Video Ipod" I can no longer fit my library on my 20 gig. I'm sure as hell not buying a refresh when the next big thing is just around the corner.

If anyone wants to know when I true video Ipod is coming out, let me make a prediction. It will be a week or two after I get sick of waiting and pick up something else.
  • Reply 19 of 78
    Its just what I want - I do not want a full screen iPod (maybe a phone/iPod combo). Im headed down to buy the 80g as soon as I get done at work.

I really feel the "full screen iPod" everyone wants will be a new product and will not replace the iPod with Video.
  • Reply 20 of 78
    I can't seem to find the search function on my original 5G, am I missing something? It seems like this should be included in the SOFTWARE update.

Apple, if you're listening: long time hardware, software, peripheral, iTMS customer; I AM NOT HAPPY ABOUT THIS.