Apple previews iTV set-top device

Comments

• Reply 21 of 343
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Well, they'd probably have issues calling it iTV in the UK as one of the major TV channels here is called ITV...
  • Reply 22 of 343
    [QUOTE}=And I really hope in the future with hard drives getting larger and cheaper that Apple will look in to the possibility of being able to rip your DVD's which you can then access via iTV.[/QUOTE]

Ummm.... Isn't ripping DVD's illegal? I don't think Apple will be going there...
  • Reply 23 of 343
    almalm Posts: 111member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

802.11g doesn't have Quality of Service features as well so you cannot guarantee bandwidth to some streams.

QoS could be implemented in box firmware. Especially if it will also serve as router. Once it started receiving video stream it could limit all other connections.
  • Reply 24 of 343
    Wake me up when I can rent HD movies and stream them to my television using an iTV. Who's in the market for purchasing a 640x360 film for $15 and paying another $300 to stream it to your HDTV where it can look asstastic, especially with Blu-Ray and HD DVD available?
  • Reply 25 of 343
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Can the host computer be alseep? If no one is using it at the time how is this supposed to do anything? Can the movies be ordered and payed for from the setop box? Will it play non-itunes movies for example ripped dvds and stuff I make? It might make previewing my edited movies nice and simple.
  • Reply 26 of 343
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALM

QoS could be implemented in box firmware. Especially if it will also serve as router. Once it started receiving video stream it could limit all other connections.

Yikes, wife would make me return that iTV pretty quickly if it limit her office VPN. Or the dog would be walking me for the next couple of hours while the plasma TV cooled down.
  • Reply 27 of 343
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

Can the host computer be alseep? If no one is using it at the time how is this supposed to do anything? Can the movies be ordered and payed for from the setop box? Will it play non-itunes movies for example ripped dvds and stuff I make? It might make previewing my edited movies nice and simple.

Why spend the time to rip when you can just plop the DVD into the player?
  • Reply 28 of 343
    i wonder if it's stackable with the mac mini
  • Reply 29 of 343
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luv2playtenis

i wonder if it's stackable with the mac mini

Why would you want to? The mini can do everything this can do and more.
  • Reply 30 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123

Why spend the time to rip when you can just plop the DVD into the player?

I don't want to say this on the record but "HYPOTHETICALLY" a person and their friends can combine all their dvd collections into a literally library.

Would I do that? No never because it's wrong.
  • Reply 31 of 343
    So your ass can be glued to the couch and just watch movie after movie. I'm sure it will play ripped dvd's as well as they get added to the itunes library.
  • Reply 32 of 343
    Hey I just got a crazy idea. Imagine you could stream safari as well and surf the net from your tv without a second computer?

That'd be incredible I think...but then half of mac mini sales may just burn in the hell of OVERSTOCK.
  • Reply 33 of 343
    Hey, $299 to turn any mac into a media center PC is well worth it in my opinion.

I for one will be buying one.
  • Reply 34 of 343
    Well, when I first thought about it, this sounded great. Once you think about it a bit, it's probably going to be pretty limited in what video formats it can play back. It'll be interesting to see what the highest resolution it can play back at. It probably won't support any kind of end user plug-ins. I don't know, it's basically just an AirPort Express that supports video, which for $300 sounds awful expensive.
  • Reply 35 of 343
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this El Gato's EyeHome with built in wireless and Apple software? Were't they selling that for $199? About the only other thing that I see that is different is that you can link up to Quicktime movie trailers through the internet without a computer (?). I'm not trying to put Apple down, but at that price it seams to be a little low on features. A/D converters like EyeTV are less than that and offer a lot more to the consumer. I'm sure that we did not see all the features, and that Apple will probably hold some back for the next revision or so, but at this price it does not seem like a great deal.
  • Reply 36 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe

Well, when I first thought about it, this sounded great. Once you think about it a bit, it's probably going to be pretty limited in what video formats it can play back. It'll be interesting to see what the highest resolution it can play back at. It probably won't support any kind of end user plug-ins. I don't know, it's basically just an AirPort Express that supports video, which for $300 sounds awful expensive.

My guess is that when it is released there will be a lot more content on iTunes in terms of movies... and my #1 guess, Im almost 100% positive about this, at that time they will introduce Movie rentals (they are pointless with out a way of viewing them on a TV for most of us).
  • Reply 37 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeState

My guess is that when it is released there will be a lot more content on iTunes in terms of movies... and my #1 guess, Im almost 100% positive about this, at that time they will introduce Movie rentals (they are pointless with out a way of viewing them on a TV for most of us).

I think you missed my point. I don't care what services and video content they have on the iTunes Music Store. This hardware isn't worth $300. Apple is going to have to get the cost of this down to $179 or even $149 for people to buy it.
  • Reply 38 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun

Ummm.... Isn't ripping DVD's illegal? I don't think Apple will be going there...

Is ripping CD's illegal? Shouldn't be any difference. If I own it, I should be able to rip it for my personal use.
  • Reply 39 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun

Once a dvd is ripped it ceases to be a dvd and becomes a video file. Will the iTV be able to play video files is the real question.
  • Reply 40 of 343
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123

S-Video and composite won't support HD so if you want s-video and composite, get use to 640x480 (or 720x480). HDMI will support HD so maybe something else may be coming when iTV is ready. However, would they really release HD content on iTunes store when there is plenty of competition with HD-DVD and Blu-ray?

Which is precisely why iTMS & iTV need to cover HD. Why buy an iTV when we already have cable & satellite DVRs for SD video?

Apple has a small window of opportunity to use the internet/iTMS to beat other HD video services especially in countries outside the US where HD-TV deployment is still 6-12 months away. The competition could have lost the war before they fired a single shot. HD (& possibly BD playback) is the killer app for this product (broadband services permitting)

Unfortunately Steve is too US-centric to see this, maybe another will.

McD