Apple introduces iTunes 7, previews iTV device

Comments

• Reply 81 of 144
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

You do realize that most new TV shows are in High Definition? So to me it's not really "GREAT" for TV Shows that I normally watch in higher resolution than DVD.

Well 90% of the consumer market own and watch standard definition television.

Is it worth it for Apple to pursue the small but growing HD market?
  • Reply 82 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by demenas

You do realize that most new TV shows are in High Definition? So to me it's not really "GREAT" for TV Shows that I normally watch in higher resolution than DVD.

And HDTV is not so "GREAT" if you're waiting five hours to download the film. I think it's a good compromise for now, esp. when very few people really use HDTV. There's no reason you won't eventually get HD content via iTunes.
  • Reply 83 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Catman4d2

DUH.... I restarted and everythings cool my tunesa are safe itunes 7 is working like a charm.

the missing buttons at the bottom sucks though..

Question.... does the new Imovie purchases play full screen? as in no finder or file menu stuff?

or do we have to buy quicktime pro for that????

screenshots?

I'm pretty sure full screen works just fine from iTunes, but I'm not at my machine right now to test it.
  • Reply 84 of 144
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by demenas

Steve

I agree. Since I got my plasma HDTV, it is tough to watch regular SD TV. I couldn't imagine having to pay to watch 640x480 on my computer. But maybe this is why the movie studios are so happy to sell movies via iTunes and Amazon - 640x480 or widescreen DVD, at $14.99 either way they get your money.

With HDMI output on iTV, this could potentially compete with Blu-ray and HD-DVD.
  • Reply 85 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

I bet more than 10% of the iPod / Apple user community have HDTV.

Steve
  • Reply 86 of 144
    Quote:

The iTV has HDMI output. They are pursing the HD market. DVD sales are slowing. Would it be worth it for Apple to pursue a market that falls under slowing DVD sales?
  • Reply 87 of 144
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Isn't that the whole point? 90% of the market buys their DVDs at the bargain bin at Wallmart. If you've got broadband access and money to waste buying a movie off iTunes you're not likely in that same demographic. You are more likely to have HD display or at least considering one. It's about value for the money. Why not just buy a DVD at close to the same cost with better quality, extras and something tangible that could be resold if you get tired of it? I could understand it if the iTV was ready and it allowed you to buy a movie from your couch and start watching it right away. That is not the case however.
  • Reply 88 of 144
    DVD sales are not slowing because of resolution. They are slowing because it is a maturing market and the fact there are other options, such as Video On Demand, DVR recorders, Pay Per View, Netflix.
  • Reply 89 of 144
    Quote:

Why not just buy a DVD at close to the same cost with better quality, extras and something tangible that could be resold if you get tired of it?

Instead of buying an album on iTunes why not buy a CD at close to the same cost with better quality, extras, and something tangible that could be resold if you get tired of it.
  • Reply 90 of 144
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

DVD sales are not slowing because of resolution. They are slowing because it is a maturing market and the fact there are other options, such as Video On Demand, DVR recorders, Pay Per View, Netflix.

This makes me think they should have chosen a rental model instead.
  • Reply 91 of 144
    I don't think Apple is looking to make much direct profit from iTMS. It seems they want it all to work as easily as possible for themselves and for the consumer. A rental service would require more effort on their part.

Also iTMS itself is a direct competitor to DVD and a reason for slowing sales.
  • Reply 92 of 144
    Quote:

But it is slowing and Apple is already in that market competing with the iTunes store. Not to say Apple shouldn't be in this market but rather Apple is already in this market. It should also pursue growing markets though there are lots of obstacles (movie studios, copy protection).
  • Reply 93 of 144
    Quote:

Apple should license Front Row for the car. The UI when one plugs their iPod in the car. The user experience would be consistent across all platforms.

People should drive when they drive, not fuddle with their cell phone or ipods.
  • Reply 94 of 144
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdj21ya

Someone explain this "gapless playback" thing to me. My iTunes has always overlapped songs by whatever interval (in seconds) I tell it to.

(disclosure: I do not have iTunes 7 yet)

The issue with GAPLESS playback is different than explained so far...

It is not the Crossfade Playback (in Preferences) that you refer to (in which ending of song is overlaid with beginning of next song).

Gapless playback refers to eliminating the brief pause that often (always?) occurs when playing an encoded album back. On some original albums (CDs), there are no blank silent spaces between music songs/cuts - the music just plays continuously from one song into the next.

Used to be, with older iTunes, if you enconde one of these albums, and play back, you get a brief quiet pause inserted between songs. This pause - the Gap - was not on the original CD, thus the music experience is changed by the abrupt silent gap stuck in there.

So, if Apple implemented it correctly, Gapless playback means you can encode your continuous music album into iTunes, and have it play back with continuous - no Gaps - sound, from one track seamlessly into the next.

Can anyone confirm their experience with this Gapless encoding/playback in iTunes 7?
  • Reply 95 of 144
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnurse

yeah, ok.. like your system can reproduce the music the way the artist made it on their million dollar system.. yeah, sure.

Equalisers are about changing the frequency response of your system. Any decent system has a flat frequency response, regardless of price. Cheaper systems, on the whole, lack bass and treble extension.
  • Reply 96 of 144
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    So, is there any way to use Cover Flow without giving Apple your credit card number?
  • Reply 97 of 144
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    It requires you credit card number? Damnit, I wanted to registered just to get covers but not anymore.
  • Reply 98 of 144
    I love how iTunes is so UGLY now, i hope this isnt a forshadow for leopard...
  • Reply 99 of 144
    I don't know about all of you, but I've downloaded TV shows from iTunes and have not been happy with the quality, as I'm sure most of you haven't been unless all you watch them on is an iPod. The new video is an improvement, but it's not 1080i of course, or whatever comes after that in years to come. What I'm getting at is since it's the digital age and you don't need a new 8-track, cassette, CD, VHS, DVD, HD-DVD, etc. (which cost money to manufacture) to upgrade to a better looking/sounding format, apple should have negotiated there deals with the music/movie industry so that we can download improved formats for free. Or at least at a very low cost, say 10% of the new formats purchase price just to cover Apples cost to send us the new bits.

I know I hated the transition from cassette to CD, having to pay full price for music I already owned the right to listen to. Apple and digital technology could save us from that going forward if Apple would put there foot down.

Just to add a little to the legal muddle on the subject. If I have "Dark Side of the Moon" on a record album and still posess it, is it illegal for me to download a digital copy for free off the internet? I mean, I already own a "license" to listen to it right? Or if I download a free digital copy of a Hollywood movie that I already own on VHS?

I didn't mean for this post to get to this subject when I started, but the music/movie industry has been sticking it to us for years making us re-buy music/movies that we already have a license to listen to or view, just to upgrade to a better format. I know they had to reprint them in those days on new media and it cost money, but now in the digital age we have done away with that problem. Upgrades for format improvements should be free or for a fraction of the cost of buying them new, as bandwith, server density, etc. comes to bear.

Let me see if I can wrap this up, I have TV shows from before today that I want to be able to upgrade to the new resolution. I say this and mean it, that if Apple doesn't give us a good upgrade path I will never buy another video on iTunes ever again. I know I'm only one person, but you have to start a movement somewhere.

I guess I'm done...comments...flames...agreements hopefully?
  • Reply 100 of 144
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede

I love how iTunes is so UGLY now, i hope this isnt a forshadow for leopard...

I too think it's ugly. Why not head over to my poll and express your displeasure?