Leopard UI

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
After looking at the new iTunes today and the updated iPod website pages are

we starting to see what the new OS is going to look like?

Even the iTunes icon sticks out on the dock for me.

What stuck out for me especially in iTunes was the sexy blackness of the album art viewer.

I really like the look of the new updates iPod pages too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    definitly, iTunes seems to be the preview of future UI. Last time they revamped it we saw the metal leave other apps.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    YES! I sure hope so! I was just going to post the same thing. The iTunes 7 UI is much better than before! I like the scroll bars, scroll arrows, etc. much better! And there's also a nice little border on each side of the scroll bars. Very nice!

I wish the CoverFlow view could be viewed in full screen mode though. Not a big deal.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macvault

YES! I sure hope so! I was just going to post the same thing. The iTunes 7 UI is much better than before! I like the scroll bards, scroll arrows, etc. much better! And there's also a nice little border on each side of the scroll bars. Very nice!

I wish the CoverFlow view could be viewed in full screen mode though. Not a big deal.

Ditto.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I think we aren't speculating here, we're just not stupid.

It's more than obvious.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Yea, and I hope this new look is unified across the entire OS. I've always hated the old bubbly aqua elements, especially the scroll bars.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    I like the scroll bars but I don't like the buttons. Personally I'm a fan of the Mail UI. I wish there was an easy way to manually skin the whole system with this look (like how saft allows you to skin safari with a similar look). Take the look of Mail and give it those itunes 7 scroll bars and I'll be happy/
  • Reply 7 of 41
    iTunes has always been the bastard child of Apple. The UI facelift does not necessarily forebode things to come. In fact, I think the iTunes team* is kept locked in a dark and damp basement at 1 Infinite Loop and they never have any contact with the outside world or the rest of Apple (which explains why the UI is always so far-fetched and never resembles anything like the other Apple apps.)

I'm thinking the UI change was made to create a platform-neutral look...so that it looks decent in OS X, XP and the upcoming Vista. Why change it at all? Because they can.

*also, the Finder team is in that same dark and damp basement
  • Reply 8 of 41
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol

*also, the Finder team is in that same dark and damp basement

I have not yet seen the new iTunes, and from what others say it looks to be pretty slick, but I don't know how to interpret your comment for the Finder: do you implicitly express your hope that it will converge with iTunes or that the Finder team does not know what happens in the rest of MacOS and thinks we are still in the OS 9 days?
  • Reply 9 of 41
    How is this for an idea: The Leopard Finder will basically be iTunes for documents. On the sidebar, instead of LIBRARY, it'll say COMPUTER and list all the local drives and optical disks. SHARED will become NETWORK and list all the network drives and resources (including printers so you can view their status and queues) in a collapsable view, and PLAYLISTS will simply be collections of documents, folder aliases, smart folders, etc.

There will be something similar to an album view, but instead group files by document type. The search bar will bring back the pull down and be able to do real time filtering. The list view will also display custom metadata fields based off XMP and there will be custom header views you can select from a handy pull down.

Those little arrows next to the names of documents? They will bring you to an info page in the window you are in with all the info you would find if you did a Get Info (which is still there) and a list of previous versions of the document. There would be a preference that you would set that limits how many versions it goes back. This would tie into Time Machine's database. It would also be a spot where you can make your own renditions of files. A graphics file would allow you to export it out as a PDF, or change the resolution, change the file type to gif/png/tif/jpg/etc. A word file would have options such as PDF, RTF, anything else that's applicable. This obviously ties into Automator.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    I think the biggest thing to notice about the new iTunes UI is that it would be very easy to create this look and feel using vector data. I think this will help when Leopard goes live with resolution independence.

I can't decide whether I like it...just hope Apple soon decides on a look and sticks to it!
  • Reply 11 of 41
    just plugged my shuffle in.

The iPod settings and contents bit looks so good!

Love that orange.

OS X Shades of ginga!
  • Reply 12 of 41
    almalm Posts: 111member
    New scrollbars are very nice indeed.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I dunno, iTunes 7 is too matte. I liked the aqua shine.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    but i think they will have that look + the glossy sort of look

in the updated music store.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB

I have not yet seen the new iTunes, and from what others say it looks to be pretty slick, but I don't know how to interpret your comment for the Finder: do you implicitly express your hope that it will converge with iTunes or that the Finder team does not know what happens in the rest of MacOS and thinks we are still in the OS 9 days?

Mostly the latter...they don't know what's happening with the rest of OS X. But...I kinda like the new iTunes interface. And like deestar, I just want Apple to finally settle on one interface...once and for all. I don't mind the new unifed look with the aqua widgets...but I don't mind the new iTunes interface. Apple can pick one or the other and I wouldn't mind...but for the love of god, pick one, Apple.

My bet though is that iTunes got the facelift to become platform neutral...and Aqua is gonna stick around.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fooey

After looking at the new iTunes today and the updated iPod website pages are

we starting to see what the new OS is going to look like?

Even the iTunes icon sticks out on the dock for me.

What stuck out for me especially in iTunes was the sexy blackness of the album art viewer.

I really like the look of the new updates iPod pages too.

I think it could very well be the new look of 10.5. I mean the UI is clean, simple etc. I would think it would be good for res ind. scaling and rendering..but we'll all just have to wait and speculate
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Changing iTunes' look is surely the best way to mass test a new UI before its release surely?

Whilst I appreciate kim kap sol's view that it's to create a neutral look, I too would a unified look. iTunes 7 looks a little more "professional" than the standard aqua.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    The iPod interface in iTunes 7 reminds me of the Nike+ website, especially the bar showing how full your iPod is.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Funny, I was about to post the same thing here (Itunes->Leopard).

I hope they'll go with the new scrollbars. Those aqua scrollbars are out of place;

they look like a special Kiddie edition of MacOSX.

Me likes the iTunes interface. But, it *might* be a little too dark for some people.

The iTunes look resembles the simplicity of BeOS (an OS which I happen to really like).
  • Reply 20 of 41
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Whether or not Apple makes iTunes 7 the default look across the board, I think we can see where they are going with the UI:

No brushed metal windows-- gray gradient all around. Garage band will continue, bizarrely, to have it's fake wood side panels.

A slightly bezeled looking strip to distinguish tool bars, tabs, etc. from title bar.

Top level file browser to the left in a pale blue column with files/work area to the right, with a number of options for display format.

On window, contextually sensitive, biggish, translucent transport and navigation controls. I suspect this has something to do with the intended merger of UI elements with Apple Remote/Front Row manipulation.

More use of black and glossy black.

Continued deprecation of aqua widgets in favor of a flatter, more "pro" look.

There seems to be a fair amount of randomness when it comes to where to put buttons-- iTunes 7 in particular seems littered with them, and apparently wherever they fit (I suspect that explains the lack of the graphic equalizer toggle-- just no where to put it). I would really love to see some thought put into functionality exposure across apps, like a uniform implementation of tabs, control bars, etc.

My fear is that Core Animation make Apple go crazy. As cool, in some ways, as the TimeMachine interface looked, it has absolutely nothing to do with the look of anything else, which is alarming. Given that Dashboard has already broken new ground in the "stuff you couldn't do before should have its own interface" sweepstakes, the trend is not good.