Apple previews iTV set-top device

Comments

• Reply 81 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jootec from Mars

Another hopefully. Hopefully can pull stuff from a blu-ray or hd-dvd player connected to Mac or PC. And I really hope in the future with hard drives getting larger and cheaper that Apple will look in to the possibility of being able to rip your DVD's which you can then access via iTV.

The reason you can't rip your DVD's (legally) today isn't because hard drives are too small and expensive. It's because the studios won't allow it. This isn't going to change because Apple has a nice box sitting in your living room.
  • Reply 82 of 343
    Not that I really care as I'm not a Pc user but it does say Mac-Pc so I guess FRONT ROW will be the second Pc app?
  • Reply 83 of 343
    This is a great business model for movie studios. I have purchased a bunch of DVDs it and loan it to a bunch of friends and family members after watching it. With iTunes store, each of these friends and family members would have had to buy their own copies from iTunes. And movie studios don't even having to spend for packaging.
  • Reply 84 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan

I don't think that Steve showed us everything this thing can do. If he did, he would essentially be giving all his competitor's photocopiers a six month headstart. I am hopeful that this little box will do quite a bit more than was shwon today.

Apple has the iTunes store already along with content providers signed up. And the iTV is already working as the demo has shown. I don't think competitor can do this and 6 months of additional progress if given the opportunity. I give Apple a little more credit than that.

If anything, we will hear more about this before Christmas shopping season so shoppers won't spend all their money on Blu-Ray or HD-DVD players and content before iTV is ready. Unless Apple thinks their product will be so great they will switch to downloading regardless.
  • Reply 85 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by byamabe

Pretty useless (i.e. I wouln't even consider buying it) if I can only play movies that I buy from the iTunes Store. Pay $299 for the convenience of watching an overpriced movie on my TV that I can't burn or play anywhere else unless I buy another $249 portable player (I don't own a video iPod). I'll just go to Best Buy, get the movie for $6.99, and save over $500. Maybe I'll sound like those people that doubted the iPod when it was announced, but one appeal of the iPod was that it made your music collection more portable. The iTunes Store/iTV combo makes your video less portable at a price premium.

Right. Because the iTV only serves one purpose... playing the full length movies available on iTunes
  • Reply 86 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

Because people already have DVD players?

Because the DVD players that Apple's market wants are HD-DVD/Blu-Ray players and they cost 2x as much as the iTV.
  • Reply 87 of 343
    Why put the USB on the back?

I purchaced a DVD player for the in-laws with a USB plug and multi-card reader on the front. That is useful.

Is it just me or does this seem like a wireless MacMini dock? That would explain why there is no optical drive built in. Would you seriously want to be controling the mac in your office from your tv?
  • Reply 88 of 343
    Well its about time. I've only been saying this is what they should build for about 5 years now.
  • Reply 89 of 343
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beta.services

Why put the USB on the back?

I purchaced a DVD player for the in-laws with a USB plug and multi-card reader on the front. That is useful.

Is it just me or does this seem like a wireless MacMini dock? That would explain why there is no optical drive built in. Would you seriously want to be controling the mac in your office from your tv?

Let me guess: or you are a recent switcher, or you don't have a Mac.
  • Reply 90 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SharkBait

Some random thoughts for your consideration:
    • HDMI is of no value over component unless you're HD.

• The 802.11 n standard is non-finalized, so you can't really say you're n-compliant - yet.

• The MacPro's that contained airport were delayed (mine included) - n-ready but not n-compliant?

• People like myself considered spending this much on the DLO HomeDock, and this thing kicks that thing around the block.

• Steve hinted at using this as a monitor. Picture yourself with a bluetooth keyboard by the La-Z-Boy, with your MacPro in the den, surfing on the big-a$$ plasma you just bought.

Comments?

HDMI has an obvious value over component and optical audio cables. That being - ONE cable. Ya know, the reason it was invented... that and copy protection intentions...

Yeah I think it's obvious this thing will use 802.11n
  • Reply 91 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by baygbm

Exactly. Like I said, I have no need for this service so long as I have something like Netflix. If you live near a Netflix distribution center (and I do) turn around time is literally 24 hours for new movies... and because you always have 2, 3, or 5 movies in your possession (and more in your queue) you always have something you want to watch at home or on the way.

Everyone has a mailbox and a DVD player. Not everyone has a modern computer, with a fast internet connection, and the $299 iTV box necessary for this new service.

I'm sure Steve and other Apple execs have T1 at home. Do you? Downloading music is quick enough with DSL or cable but a near DVD quality movie?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad this option of movie downloads is there. But for now I'll stick with Netflix.

FYI a T1 is only 1.544 Mbits at its best. Lots of people have 3Mbit cable/DSL.
  • Reply 92 of 343
    I'm sorry but I strongly disagree with most of the opinions! People don't want to hook up an other device to their TV which only works together with their computer. It's to complicated for the majority. They just want one simple device that can do everything instead of haveing a Computer, DVD Player, Homecinema System, Stero and iTV. The wohle streaming Idea will not be the next big thing! Sorry, but trust me!
  • Reply 93 of 343
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    After seeing Jobs presentation its clear that iTV primary function is to stream media from the Mac to the TV. Its not intended to be a DVD player, its not a set top box, its not a DVR.

Hopefully room will be left open for third party options to give it more functionality. Will it be able to stream media back to the Mac? Will it be able to sit between the cable box and television? Will it be open for third party software?

If so Elgato could make a device that captures the decoded cable box signal, send the decoded signal to the television, and use iTV to stream the signal back to the Mac for recording on hard drive.

Quote:

Pretty useless (i.e. I wouln't even consider buying it) if I can only play movies that I buy from the iTunes Store

Well so far none of Apples hardware/software forces you to only use iTunes media, what does it benefit Apple to start now.

Quote:

Why go to the time and expense ($9.99, $12,99, or $14.99) to buy one near DVD quality movie when for the same money, I can get all the movies I want in a month from Netflix on DVD?

The same reason people download music instead of buying CD’s. Convenience.

Quote:

It will play anything quicktime can play, and quicktime (via flip4mac) can play wmp files.

On your Mac sure, but I assume this box will do its own decoding of media streams/files (it certainly will have to for video). So, unless Apple supports decoding of Windows Media files on the box, I doudt you will be able to do it. Same for DiVX and other formats Apple doesn't usually support.

I’m sure Flip4Mac would decode WMP files before it would be streamed to the box. You can save WMP files as QT in F4M.

Quote:

As far as HD, I read (MacRumors feed) that the Incredibles clip played during the presentation was HD.

Steve said in his presentation that those were 640x480 clips being shown.

Quote:

And I really hope in the future with hard drives getting larger and cheaper that Apple will look in to the possibility of being able to rip your DVD's which you can then access via iTV.

Not a snow balls chance in hell of this happening. Apple would loose all favor with content providers. Plus legal or not there are options for ripping DVD's and using the media as quicktime movies.
  • Reply 94 of 343
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

People don't want to hook up an other device to their TV which only works together with their computer. It's to complicated for the majority. They just want one simple device that can do everything instead of haveing a Computer, DVD Player, Homecinema System, Stero and iTV.

This would likely be really expensive mess that does no one thing very well.
  • Reply 95 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar

Let me guess: or you are a recent switcher, or you don't have a Mac.

I have a mac, but my iMac sits on my desk and i can reach the back. There are 2 usb plugs on my keyboard, and i dont have to worry about pulling anything out of a cupboard o get to it.

Thats why they moved AV plugs to the front of TV's and VCR's. Once your home entertainment system is setup, you dont want to have to move the equipment to do something that you only need to do once in a while (i.e. Plug in a usb key with images, movies or music.) Would you really want to?
  • Reply 96 of 343
    If Apple release a device that had an optical drive and a HDD, they would be doing 2 things.

1) They would be cutting into mac mini sales. I wouldnt want to guess how many, because it would probably be very small.

2) Not providing an upgrade path. If we see the device as it was shown, then by years end (2007) there may be a new device with a butil in optical dirve. Maybe Apple will wait for wide availability for BlueRay before they make a move like that. But people that bought the drive less device will be more likely to upgrade to the newer one.

If the device shipped with optical and HDD, then how many new features can the add to make a good enough argument for an upgrade 6 months later?
  • Reply 97 of 343
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beta.services

Mac mini + iTV = HTPC

In addition to being used alone with a wireless connection to a Mac or PC in another room I believe it was also designed to transform a Mac mini into the media Mac many have been waiting for. It looks like it is the same footprint as the Mac mini so the two could be stacked together. I'd still prefer they added the iTV features to a high-end Mac mini but this is the next best thing.
  • Reply 98 of 343
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984

Mac mini + iTV = HTPC

In addition to being used alone with a wireless connection to a Mac or PC in another room I believe it was also designed to transform a Mac mini into the media Mac many have been waiting for. It looks like it is the same footprint as the Mac mini so the two could be stacked together. I'd still prefer they added the iTV features to a high-end Mac mini but this is the next best thing.

Just an FYI, but the Mac mini can already do everything this streaming media decoder box can do. The only advantage to buying this box and stacking it on a Mac mini would be that it has separate decoder hardware for video, and I assume it would thus reduce the CPU load on the mini.
  • Reply 99 of 343
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Well, I haven't heard this speculation yet, but maybe the USB port is so that you can plug your iPod directly in and no computer is necessary.

Then maybe you'll be able to buy music and videos through the iTV and store them on your iPod so you don't need a computer for your media center. Another option/addition would be a wireless iPod that you can purchase movies/music on and then connect to the iTV. Or perhaps both.

For that matter, why even store the media at all. If the iTV can talk with the iTunes Store, just get your media on demand.

Now, all those features might make this worth $299, but then again, would you really want to pay $299 just for the privilege of having a front end to the iTunes Store? Maybe Apple should be giving this box away as a front end to the iTunes Store, and then if you want to keep the media locally, you have to buy a Mac or an iPod.
  • Reply 100 of 343
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rarity

I'm sorry but I strongly disagree with most of the opinions! People don't want to hook up an other device to their TV which only works together with their computer. It's to complicated for the majority. They just want one simple device that can do everything instead of haveing a Computer, DVD Player, Homecinema System, Stero and iTV?

I'm absolutely not agreeing with you here. If all-in-one is what "we" want where are all the devices then?

Adding all that into one box just creates complexity.

iTV is excactly what I've been asking for for years. I have a great DVD player/HDD recorder, a great amp and a great plasma, and I just need a simple device to let me see my photos on the tv, select and hear music on my stereo and perhaps watch whatever kind of QT movies I have.

I don't need a computer in my living room since I won't be using 99% of that computers features.

And the best of it all? I can mix and match my devices to get what I want.