What do you think of iTunes 7 interface elements, will Leopard adopt the same look?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I, for one, really dislike the fact that Apple have introduced a whole load of new interface widgets with iTunes 7. Now iTunes feels completely out of place in OS X, because it doesn't use a single native (aqua) OS X interface element.

Radio buttons, tabs (e.g. in iPod settings), tick boxes, column titles, scroll bars, drop down menus etc. etc. etc. are all available in aqua form, but iTunes uses none of them. Then to top it all off, the iTunes 7 versions are pretty ugly.

So the question is: do you like the iTunes 7 interface elements and do you think it's a sign of things to come in Leopard?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    First option.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Not LOVE, but I don't mind it, and this should all be consistent-ised in Leopard. Sand-blasted-grey-graphite-smooth-metallic-dark-grey is cool, IMO.

It's like Apple is saying, f*ck yeees all, OSX is serious. It will make Vista's AeroGlassShite look like a desperate clown crying painfully for attention.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Where's the middle ground with you?

So basically, my options are, I should either love it or hate it, or not give a shit??

If you go to this page, you'll see a black colored Aqua, personally I think that's a clue for something to do with a totally revamped U.I. More revamped than any other new OS X.

And you will also notice that under the "Spotlight" icon is an actual spotlight, I think that also is a clue to something like this:

• Reply 4 of 27
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Where's the middle ground with you?

So basically, my options are, I should either love it or hate it, or not give a shit??[/IMG]

I'm sorry about that. It's necessary in order to have a simple poll. Maybe love/hate are too strong words. You can always post in the thread, as you have, if no option is close enough to what you think.

Honestly, I'm very surprised that there aren't more people annoyed at the fact that iTunes has completely abandoned all OS X interface elements, so it doesn't look like an OS X application. If MS or Adobe did something like this with Office/Photoshop, I would have thought a lot more people would be up in arms saying "why the hell aren't they using OS X APIs properly so this thing looks, feels and behaves like a native OS X application?"
  • Reply 5 of 27
    I'm pissed because CoverFlow doesn't work in my WindozeXP iTunes7 The UI in Mac or PC is really not my priority.... Though I have mentioned I like this new direction which preludes Leopard look-feel.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

I'm pissed because CoverFlow doesn't work in my WindozeXP iTunes7 The UI in Mac or PC is really not my priority.... Though I have mentioned I like this new direction which preludes Leopard look-feel.

Do you have an iTunes store account? I found out you need to have an account to have that feature to work.. which to me isn't a big deal but I know poepl hate signing up for stuff. I'm sure there is going to be a "hack" coming soon from some smart dev.

flick.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    I really like the new interface, I find the simple gradiants really sexy. the scroll bars, thanks god, have lost that cheap ribbed jelly bean look and aquired a nice deep grey blue colour. I'm relaly looking forward to the evolution of this new style.

flick.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    I really like the new iTunes look. Simple, neat and intuitive. This is exactly what we should expect out of OS X and its applications. Hopefully this is the first of a unified UI look for Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    I like it, but it kinda looks sort of OS 9-y to me, no? Not Aqua at all....
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash

I like it, but it kinda looks sort of OS 9-y to me, no? Not Aqua at all....

That's what I was thinking when I first saw it. \
  • Reply 11 of 27
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbird_1.0

That's what I was thinking when I first saw it. \

Ya, it's definitely a very weird and unexpected move. I think I like it, it's more professional looking but it raises a lot of questions as to the future of the rest of the systems looks. And now you've also got mail that got rid of the brushed metal but not the Aqua scroll bars. And it's a different color and it's buttons are different, too!

Is Apple experimenting on us?? I think Leopard's going to be very interesting...
  • Reply 12 of 27
    I don't really love or hate the new look. My problem is that it doesn't blend with the rest of the applications. I really liked how all the OSX apps. looked the same. I guess I'll just have to buy Leopard now so everything is the same.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flick Justice

Do you have an iTunes store account? I found out you need to have an account to have that feature to work.. which to me isn't a big deal but I know poepl hate signing up for stuff. I'm sure there is going to be a "hack" coming soon from some smart dev.

flick.

Yup I have a USA account. Coverflow "flows" but the bottom section with the scrollbar and text is all just some garbled graphics
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Personally I liked iTunes 6 the best. I agree that this breaks many OS X UI rules. I use keyboard shortcuts for everything... The day we rely on the mouse for everything is the day we lose standards.

The new album view is nice, but unnecessary, and in all honesty looks like nothing more than a cheap attempt at a Windows Media Player 11 competition. iTunes doesn't even blend with itself. They should have gone with black scroll-bars.

And yet another minor complaint.... The green iTunes logo looked a LOT more professional than this... in fact the entire program looks like an iTunes 2 rip-off... Give us back the green!
  • Reply 15 of 27
    sekiosekio Posts: 150member
    I think Apple is doing one of two things. Either they're experimenting with different UIs to see which one looks best and has the most positive response for use in Leopard, or, most likely, they're making different UIs for all programs to keep us in the dark about what Leopard is going to look like and to keep Microsoft from copying in Vista.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    IMHO, the new iTunes UI experience sucks! On Mac and PC! The scrollbars are that disgusting shade of blue violet grey, the buttons at the bottom are way too dark, and the icon design is the total opposite to the application (in the sense that there is no aqua in the UI and the icon is as aquified as ever)! My dock is now almost entirely blue on the left hand side. iTunes has gone from being beautiful to look at to dull and dreary. I want my colours back! Please, give us back the green icon! Also, cover flow doesn't work on my PC, and you can't view it full screen (like you actually could in the application Cover Flow) and on my Mac, every time I switch back to the cover flow view the scrollbar is blurred like it's been scaled up. I have to resize the panel to make it work.

It seems to me that aspects of iTunes 7 have been rushed, and the little interface quirks (like the black highlight in the sidebar) quite frankly are disgusting. Feature-wise though, it rocks. I think the source list has needed sorting out for a long time and now it's neatly organised. I especially like the new album grouping view where you can view the album art alongside a track listing. I also love the meter that appears when you connect your iPod, it's a great way to check up on how full your iPod is (I was not impressed by the fact that my iPod was erased and filled up again when I connected it, though). Someone please tell me how to hack the resource forks of iTunes in OS X on Intel so I can once again aquify iTunes!!!

Mike Matas you work for Apple now! Show them how it's done!!! (If, of course, you're not responsble for this \ )!!!

And if you could be arsed to read all that, I'd love to know if anyone thinks the same.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by max_naylor

Mike Matas you work for Apple now! Show them how it's done!!! (If, of course, you're not responsble for this \ )!!!

No, but he is responsible for Delicious Library, which is pretty atrocious in and of itself :P
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Don't like it. I don't have any real problem with the colours and all, but it looks way too fuzzy for me. Sharpen the lines up and remove the soft shadows/blur on the scrollbars and icons and I'll be happy. Now it looks like something a Linux hobby interface programmer might have done.

Thumbs down.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    The new look looks like some linux interface design. Cold, dark and without feeling. At best, this looks like a dark platinum theme.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    I hope so. I love the new look.