Windows Vista Sure Ain't Cheep

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just read this review for the new Vista RC1 in which they list the new pricing matrix.

"Partners will be most interested in the three business versions of Vista. Vista Business, which is the equivalent of Windows XP, will be priced at $299 for the full packaged product and $199 for upgrades. Vista Ultimate, the high-end version that contains the business and home-consumer features, will be priced at $399 for the full packaged product and $259 for upgrades."

A little bit on the expensive side, don't you think? Especially when OSX or Linux has surpassed Vista in speed and eye candy. For those interested in playing with Vista RC1 it can be downloaded here. Macbook users be warned, the cheesy graphic card is not up to most of the eye candy that Vista carries. The guy in Apple who decided to put a embedded graphics card in there should have been dragged out of his cubicle and flogged.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic

I just read this review for the new Vista RC1 in which they list the new pricing matrix.

"Partners will be most interested in the three business versions of Vista. Vista Business, which is the equivalent of Windows XP, will be priced at $299 for the full packaged product and $199 for upgrades. Vista Ultimate, the high-end version that contains the business and home-consumer features, will be priced at $399 for the full packaged product and $259 for upgrades."

Windows XP Professional is $299 today, so looks similar.

Steve
  • Reply 2 of 14
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by demenas

Windows XP Professional is $299 today, so looks similar.

Steve

It was 299 a couple years back, but now it can had for 200.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic

It was 299 a couple years back, but now it can had for 200.

The Microsoft price is $299. Thats what we were discussing here. What the street price is is something different, though Best Buy sells it for $286, Amazon for $248, Buy.com for $283 and Outpost/Fry's/Circuit City for $299.

Steve
  • Reply 4 of 14
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    I thought upgrade pricing was $99.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anand

I thought upgrade pricing was $99.

Only for the Home Edition, I believe (at least MS Price)
  • Reply 6 of 14
    $99 is for the crappy "Basic" version which is like Vista with the Vista taken out of it.

The best deal is just the normal one, which can be upgraded for $159. (http://tinyurl.com/rvunc)

Vista may be a BIT more expensive than Leopard, but it is well worth it to PC users. It is by far the best PC operating system ever, and has quite a few awesome features that even OS X lacks.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

It is by far the best PC operating system ever, and has quite a few awesome features that even OS X lacks.

We'll see when it comes out.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    "We'll see when it comes out."

That's true... \ Like WinFS just sorta disappeared...
  • Reply 9 of 14
    When you consider the amount of time and money you have to pay for security programs and or servicing, it's even more expensive.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    frell, XP only cost me 3 hours and about 600meg of disk space then about 5 mins to get it on a CDRW disk :-)
  • Reply 11 of 14
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Targon

frell, XP only cost me 3 hours and about 600meg of disk space then about 5 mins to get it on a CDRW disk :-)

Cute.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Windows Vista sure ain't cheep. Don't you mean cheap or maybe sheep?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Well, that's for sure: Windows Vista ain't no sheep.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    I'm using RC1 now, and it's pretty cool. I'd like to see what's the difference from the different versions from a real world point of view.