Apple unveils the new iPod shuffle

Comments

• Reply 22 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by richieg261

The only slight concern is that I feel that the new iPod shuffle is the best (as in "wow factor") iPod release coming out of Cupertino today. I was quite underwhelmed by everything else, which is a shame because Apple seems to have not really innovated with this event, rather than they have just renovated, which has made me feel quite sad in a way.

true, true. in terms of hardware and firmware updates, the new nano and the new 5th gen are not groundbreaking enhancements. but i guess it just becomes harder and harder to add wow features every time. how much smaller can the nano get, really? i think it may play video in the future and we'll definitely see bluetooth support somewhere down the line. but i was a little dissapointed too. this is the same nano only cheaper and in colors.

i already own a white nano so it's not much of an upgrade for me.

i say good job, apple. but not enough to make me buy a new nano. i think... *tries hard not to buy a new blue nano*
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes

Where? (There is space for one - it would have been great with Nike + too ;~\\ )

headphone jack connects to an included dock. read the apple website, damnit. its all there.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

headphone jack connects to an included dock. read the apple website, damnit. its all there.

Last time I checked you couldn't get USB2 data in a 3.5mm jack.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    you sync, charge and connect through the headphone jack, which connects to a dock powered by a USB cable. since it charges it must be USB2 since USB can't charge your pod.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    Looks like there are dock connector-shaped indentation on the shuffle that allows it to mate with the dock,

it looks like it could also allow for lanyad headphone. Unfortunately, it seems that the spacing between the dock connector (or receptacle in case of the new shuffle) and the headphone jack is all different from all the different iPods, old Nano, new Nano, and new Shuffle would all require different lanyard headphones.

And just looking at the accessories page for the G2 Nano, I can already see a revised lanyard earphone.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Where? (There is space for one - it would have been great with Nike + too ;~\\ )

Hey you're right. Wow, that's kinda wack. I wish they had kept the old shuffle at 512mb. Hell I may grab one before they're gone.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

you sync, charge and connect through the headphone jack, which connects to a dock powered by a USB cable. since it charges it must be USB2 since USB can't charge your pod.

Well nice to see Apple simplifying things as pushing USB2 in and out of a 3.5mm jack.

USB2 is the same power as USB1.1 so USB 1 will work but slowly.

USB

So how long before there are 3.5mm to USB mini adaptors on eBay?
  • Reply 29 of 42
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Well nice to see Apple simplifying things as pushing USB2 in and out of a 3.5mm jack.

USB2 is the same power as USB1.1 so USB 1 will work but slowly.

USB

So how long before there are 3.5mm to USB mini adaptors on eBay?

Apple should make one. One as wide as the unit but not too long and when combined can be plugged right against a computer, that'd be sick for using with a notebook, it's look like a wide usb key.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    This new Shuffle will be my first iPod, it's so freaking amazing, I'm truly in love with it, if the old one sold 10 million this one will sell twice or three times as much!!

btw CosmoNut hit the nail on the head... WOW
  • Reply 31 of 42
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    it kicks butt, the size and clip do it for me along with the price. win win win. need a stupid 1gb flash go buy one, this one will sit on the back of my hat when i go hiking, jogging, whatever. perfect.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

Ahh wtf I don't want to loose the thumb drive capability!

Also when using it with a notebook I've got to have a cord!

The design was perfect, they should have added this at 1gig and kept the old ne as 512mb.

Old 1GB Shuffle: $99.99

New 1GB Shuffle: $79.99

+1GB Thumb Flash Drive: $25.00

$105.00

Now take into consideration the space taken up by the system files and music, and you are left with less than 1 GB. You now can technically have 2 GB for the Price of one, due to the fact you have one with music, and one just for a flash drive. I think it's worth it.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Here's a conversation I bet has never occured:

"You know that current iPod Shuffle is just too darn BIG! I mean, something the size of a pack of gum? How can I deal with that? MUST BE SMALLER!"

Obviously, I am not a fan of the Shuffles...
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Now I can cram it into my cycle helmet
  • Reply 35 of 42
    I see a market opening up for a 3rd party USB plug adapter.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice

I see a market opening up for a 3rd party USB plug adapter.

Give it until the new shuffle is released. Belkin or someone like them will have one available.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Jeff

Old 1GB Shuffle: $99.99

New 1GB Shuffle: $79.99

+1GB Thumb Flash Drive: $25.00

$105.00

Now take into consideration the space taken up by the system files and music, and you are left with less than 1 GB. You now can technically have 2 GB for the Price of one, due to the fact you have one with music, and one just for a flash drive. I think it's worth it.

i do not like that shuffle lost its thumb drive capability ...

well, it will sell very well ... carry two devices hmmm
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Nice design, and timely, given that my previous 512MB Shuffle just died (flashing lights of doom...).

I'm somewhat reluctant to buy another iPod at this point though...
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Does the new one have gapless playback?

Is there a software update so the previous one can have it? Seems like it might be possible with a firmware update.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder

Does the new one have gapless playback?

Gapless playback is likely an issue with the actual music files rather than the iPod on which they play. I bet they'll be fine.