Why iTV will HAVE to chage its name.... and ideas

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
iTV will have to have it's name changed. In the UK one of our Major TV networks have the same name just do a google search on iTV and you will see.

There is no way that they can be bullied into a name change and as they are in a very similar market there is no way they will let apple use their name to deliver tv content.

The only reason apple would preview with this name is to create a buz and give it a popularist name that everyone will use even when the name is oficially changed prior to release. People will allways call the apple set top box iTV now regardless.

I am not sure if this is a very fair but hay it's apple and i'm just glad for a set top box.

Anyone have any ideas for alternative names ?

I have nothing

J.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    Precisely.

Over here in London,

ITV = Channel 3

Unless Apple wish to be sued, they must do something.
  • Reply 2 of 86
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Steve Jobs stated that iTV was just the project codename and the shipping product would have a different one.
  • Reply 3 of 86
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnrp

The only reason apple would preview with this name is to create a buz and give it a popularist name that everyone will use even when the name is oficially changed prior to release. People will allways call the apple set top box iTV now regardless.

You may be quite right John. This is probably one "smart" move to draw people's attention and establish a solid presence even if the name changes in the end, something of course unavoidable. If so, a little unfair, I dare say.
  • Reply 4 of 86
    Jobs said iTV was just the current codename.
  • Reply 5 of 86
    Also, eyeTV is elGato's TV tuner, and it sounds identical when spoken.
  • Reply 6 of 86
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    tvPod
  • Reply 7 of 86
    I can't believe apple is embracing TV like this. They are supposed to be about creativity and productivity. Then again, this goes back to the iPod. Apple have been a different company since the iPod phenomenon.
  • Reply 8 of 86
    iHome Express
  • Reply 9 of 86
    iBox
  • Reply 10 of 86
    iBoobTube

iPanderer
  • Reply 11 of 86
    I'm betting on iHome. Maybe even just Showtime. AppleVIsion, make use of an old name that Apple still owns. If this is just one component, and there is more they may have something more modular to call it.

Personally I'd like Apple to buy elgato, and put their technology to use in a more full featured version. They could just as easily use added components for different aspects, and have a modular setup.
  • Reply 12 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

I'm betting on iHome. Maybe even just Showtime. AppleVIsion, make use of an old name that Apple still owns. If this is just one component, and there is more they may have something more modular to call it.

Personally I'd like Apple to buy elgato, and put their technology to use in a more full featured version. They could just as easily use added components for different aspects, and have a modular setup.

I'm not sure what they'll call it. iHome is not a bad name. Showtime will not be used as a certain cable movie channel already has that name.

I'd love to see one box do it all, but I think iTV shows that Apple (at least in the near future) is staying away from the STB and PVR market. It is too volitile and Apple does not have enough influence in that market to make a difference. Now, if the iTV becomes even remotely as popular as the iPod, then we might see something happen.
  • Reply 13 of 86
    iShowtime
  • Reply 14 of 86
    Showtime Express
  • Reply 15 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmmfe

I'm not sure what they'll call it. iHome is not a bad name. Showtime will not be used as a certain cable movie channel already has that name.

I'd love to see one box do it all, but I think iTV shows that Apple (at least in the near future) is staying away from the STB and PVR market. It is too volitile and Apple does not have enough influence in that market to make a difference. Now, if the iTV becomes even remotely as popular as the iPod, then we might see something happen.

I wont be nearly as popular without it IMO.

BTW I was just watching a free pilot from ITMS (eureka) at 640x480, and it lookls pretty good on a 1280x1024 17" screen. Better than half the shows that I missed because of work that I download of the net to catch up.
  • Reply 16 of 86
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    AirPort Video...or Airport (with Video)...or AirPort DV...or...
  • Reply 17 of 86
    How about "Teleport"

After all, you're beaming stuff back and forth wirelessly to your television...

Time Machine, Teleport.... the future is now! Then all Apple has to do is come out with "Flying Car"
  • Reply 18 of 86
    Asteroid
  • Reply 19 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Asteroid

-ScreenTime

- Showbox

- AirTV

- ShowExpress

- TunePod
  • Reply 20 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

I wont be nearly as popular without it IMO.

Steve has brainwashed you well. Sorry, couldn't resist. I assume you meant "it".

I kinda liked that "Teleport" name someone was throwing around. Showtime Express is pretty good too. I'd bet that's a runner for the final name.