Notes: Apple renames iTunes store, acquires Cover Flow

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple has renamed its iTunes Music Store. Meanwhile, some of the software technology used in iTunes 7 was developed outside of the company. And accessory makers gain access to latest iPod dimensions.

New names for iTunes store

Though minor in detail, Apple on Tuesday formally altered the name of its iTunes Music Store, renaming it simply the "iTunes Store." The new name reflects the broader assortment of media content, such as movies and games, now being sold through the service.

Apple had settled on the name change much earlier, according to tipsters. About two months ago all iTunes Music Store support employees received a news bulletin stating that the store was to be referred to as the "iTunes Store" from there on out. With the release of iTunes 7, the change is official.

Apple acquires CoverFlow

In related news, iTunes 7 includes a feature called Cover Flow, which Apple purchased from a small software developer named Steel Skies.

"We are pleased to announce that all CoverFlow technology and intellectual property was recently sold to Apple," reads a message on the Steel Skies site. "It has been incorporated into the latest version of iTunes."

With iTunes 7 and Cover Flow, users can flip through their digital music and video collection just as they would CDs.

New iPod dimensions

Over on its developer site, Apple has released product dimensions for parties interested in developing an accessory for its new iPod models.

The new second generation iPod nano is 40 millimeters wide by 90 millimeters tall by 6.5 millimeters thick. Comparatively, the first generation nano was 40 millimeters wide by 90 millimeters tall by 6.9 millimeters thick.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    That's really interesting. From the pictures they looked a little thicker. Goes to show you the value of the Apple retail stores. So I'm asssuming the weight went up (since I don't think Steve mentioned it)
  • Reply 2 of 35
    The day after 12 September, 2006 and what's for discussion? The iPod's dimensions!
  • Reply 3 of 35
    Nice that Apple bought the software, giving the developers something for their work. Given the developer's website has a Kyuss album cover being shown I can only imagine what that money is being spent on
  • Reply 4 of 35
    What the hell the new nano looks a taller than the 1G but the dimensions say its the same. Whats going on?
  • Reply 5 of 35
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I'm used to using the abbreviation "iTMS" to refer to the online entity through which Apple sells music (and now videos and whatnot). Does this mean I should start using "iTS" instead? That just doesn't work for me. \
  • Reply 6 of 35
    It's actually .09 oz lighter. Old: 1.5 oz, New: 1.41 oz.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fabsgwu

It's actually .09 oz lighter. Old: 1.5 oz, New: 1.41 oz.

I'm pretty sure the "old" Nano was billed as being less than an ounce.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    bdj21ya, I think that was the shuffle (which is now down to 1/2 and ounce)
  • Reply 9 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder

bdj21ya, I think that was the shuffle (which is now down to 1/2 and ounce)

Really? does anyone have a 2 gig Nano and a mail scale handy?
  • Reply 10 of 35
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

Really? does anyone have a 2 gig Nano and a mail scale handy?

Mine is only a 1GB nano, but it pegs 1.5oz almost exactly.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Your 1GB Nano weighs about 1.5 oz now, but it's full of songs.

I think they weigh less than 1 oz when they're empty.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    New nano looks like iPod mini jr.

Its 6% thinner than previous nano.

Cover Flow acquisition negotiations:

Apple: We would like to acquire all CoverFlow technology and intellectual property.

Steel Skies: Sweet!

Apple: Name your price.

Steel Skies: Hmm, <raises pinky to lip> one meelion dollars!

Apple: How about this gift card for 10,000 free iTunes songs and a T-shirt?

Steel Skies: <slowly lowers pinky from lip> sold.

Apple: Sign here and initial here and will that be an Extra, Extra, Large?
  • Reply 13 of 35
    duplicate post due to server busy message. Sorry.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mazola

Your 1GB Nano weighs about 1.5 oz now, but it's full of songs.

I think they weigh less than 1 oz when they're empty.

• Reply 15 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

dito
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Apple really knows how to keep things simple. Ever since Apple started to sell videos (still music?) there have been posts about whether the name "iTunes Music Store" should be changed and to what. Apple, on the other hand, decided to just drop "Music" from the name and leaving us with "iTunes Store" which I think is better. iTunes, the player, is the "OS" of Apple's entertainment strategy.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts

Apple really knows how to keep things simple. Ever since Apple started to sell videos (still music?) there have been posts about whether the name "iTunes Music Store" should be changed and to what. Apple, on the other hand, decided to just drop "Music" from the name and leaving us with "iTunes Store" which I think is better. iTunes, the player, is the "OS" of Apple's entertainment strategy.

No it's all about the artists. : )
  • Reply 18 of 35
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig

Nice that Apple bought the software, giving the developers something for their work. Given the developer's website has a Kyuss album cover being shown I can only imagine what that money is being spent on

It shows that Apple does benefit developers if Apple sees their work to be original, and not based upon their own ideas, no matter how old.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    I don't understand. I saw a pic of the new one on top of the old one and the new one is definitely wider.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

New nano looks like iPod mini jr.

Its 6% thinner than previous nano.

Cover Flow acquisition negotiations:

Apple: We would like to acquire all CoverFlow technology and intellectual property.

Steel Skies: Sweet!

Apple: Name your price.

Steel Skies: Hmm, <raises pinky to lip> one meelion dollars!

Apple: How about this gift card for 10,000 free iTunes songs and a T-shirt?

Steel Skies: <slowly lowers pinky from lip> sold.

Apple: Sign here and initial here and will that be an Extra, Extra, Large?

Dude, this had me bawling!!!

Good job!