iTunes 7 Being a Pain in the Butt

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Here's my problem, I just downloaded iTunes 7 for PC and had my iPod sync'd up to it but I wanted the new software update. Some reason it would connect to the internet. I could get into the Store but I could connect somehow to download the software update for my iPod.

Then it's all downhill from here, while I reinstall iTunes multiple times and talk to the apple rep on the phone my iPod stops showing up in the devices menu when I connect. It wouldn't connect to my parents computer either.

Took it to the apple store and got a new one. Only took 1.5 hours. Actually excited about that, mine was getting grungy. So I bring it home and it is sync'd to the apple store pc. When I connect it picks it up but asks if I wanted to sync to my computer now. I pressed cancel thinking I'd put it into manual mode but it just ejected it and thats it. When I reconnected it Windows picked up on it but iTunes wouldn't. I tried everything.

I then went to my parents computer and it picked it up, installed iTunes 7 and it works, perfectly. Problem is I want to sync to my music not theirs. I tried reconnecting to mine to see if it would ask again since it had been sync'd to a new computer, nothing. Tried switching it to manual. Nothing.

Right now I am restoring it to its factory settings, with my parent computer.

Any other suggestions? I'm dying here. I'll probably end up buying a mac tomorrow.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrBlack08

Any other suggestions? I'm dying here. I'll probably end up buying a mac tomorrow.

That's dedication! One mac product gives you trouble so you buy more of the same brand. Excellent!

Seriously though, I've had similar problems when itunes6 came out. Honestly, restore it to your factory settings, plug it into your PC, and let it do its thing for about an hour. It *should* update, fix your music with gapless playback, and tell you an update is available. If not, check and see if windows is picking it up. If it's not, it's a Windows issue. If it is, your itunes is junked. I'm not sure how to fix that, but I just used patience. Seemed to work out ok.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Were good now. I found this apple doc... HERE

It was windows, piece of crap. Windows didn't end some processes and junk so I had to do the run command to restart it. Totally buying a mac. The times I've used them at school they just work. Thats what I want. But it fixed it and I'm transfering my music and videos right now.... oh! and ZUMA! I'm excited.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Coverflow broken on my Windozes Itunes 7.0.0.70 (image below)

Works well on iBook G4 933mhz OS10.3.9

• Reply 4 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhetWurm

"Knowledge is no more measured by post count than the size of the universe is governed by the stars within it."

You're only saying that because you got a sh*thouse post count muah hah aha ha h aha
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

You're only saying that because you got a sh*thouse post count muah hah aha ha h aha

Is that the reason or is it because I'm not a blabbermouth?
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Quote:

Coverflow broken on my Windozes Itunes...

I'm not getting any outright glitches on either my Mac or my PC, but am wondering if Coverflow eventually will cache all of my album covers on its own, because for now all I mostly see is generic blank album covers flowing by until I stop somewhere during my browsing and pause for a few seconds for all of the images to fill in.

(All of my albums already had cover art from the start -- this isn't a matter of waiting for cover art to be retrieved from the internet.)

Images which have been loaded up by Coverflow during earlier browsing are there when I go back. I'm wondering if every cover has to be manually brought into view before it gets loaded up to be shown instantly by Coverflow. I'm also wondering if the images which have been loaded will still be there the next time I run iTunes, and/or if there's a fixed size cache and some images previously loaded for instant viewing will be dropped after a while.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I'm not sure if it's because I was playing around with Coverflow so much, but I found my PC (the one I use at work) starting to get very sluggish and unresponsive. I was worried that it was the software that I'm developing myself that was the problem, but when I brought up the Task Manager to see what was going on (the screen took about 15 seconds to repaint in a slow window-shade like fashion before the Task Manager appeared) I found that iTunes was using about 450 MB of RAM. WTF?

Since I've "only" got 1 GB of RAM in this thing, and I had a number of other things running at the same time, I was in page-swap hell with iTunes using so much. I shut down iTunes and everyone was much happier.

I'm thinking that Coverflow tries to cache all of your album art in RAM. Just now I started up iTunes and watched RAM usage as I swept through album art using Coverflow.... I started at 60 MB and was up to 350 MB in just a few seconds of sweeping through my library. I turned off the Coverflow view and went back to the basic list view, then RAM usage dropped to around 200 MB, but it wouldn't go back down to that original 60 MB.

Anyone up for iTunes 7.0.1?
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline

Oh yeah, several of my friends at school are having problems, and my eCommerce teacher told our whole class not to download it because he was up till midnight trying to get it to work and couldn't.

I feel the update coming on soon.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    Quote:

Oh yeah, several of my friends at school are having problems, and my eCommerce teacher told our whole class not to download it because he was up till midnight trying to get it to work and couldn't.

I feel the update coming on soon.

This is all so odd. After I let itunes do its thing for about an hour, i haven't had 1 problem. I feel for you guys that are having difficulties. One question, have you tried disabling DirectDraw in Quicktime? I don't know why that would help, but someone mentioned it in another thread.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhetWurm

This is all so odd. After I let itunes do its thing for about an hour, i haven't had 1 problem. I feel for you guys that are having difficulties. One question, have you tried disabling DirectDraw in Quicktime? I don't know why that would help, but someone mentioned it in another thread.

Nope. Disabling DirectDraw QT doesn't work
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:

F*CK ME, I'll be the first one to bloody download the bloody update..!! My coverflow is so broken
  • Reply 12 of 32
    I have also had no luck receiving album art when installing the new iTunes version. It asks if you would like to automatically download the album art, and then nothing happens. I now find myself having to manually do this under the album view. How many of you are experiencing this same problem?
  • Reply 13 of 32
    I've tried to have some of this stuff happen to me, but have yet to experience any of it. I'm on a 2.16 GHz MacBook Pro with 2GB Ram.

The only cover art I haven't seen show up for me is from compilation CD's. The rest appear to have downloaded, and I didn't have much for album art before. Perhaps it has something to do with size of the library. I only have 1895 songs.

I hope you all get patches real soon to fix all the problems you've been having.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Please NOTE the Apple Discussions thread here if you are having issues:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....38205&tstart=0

Quote:

Coverflow broken on my Windozes Itunes 7.0.0.70 (image below)

Works well on iBook G4 933mhz OS10.3.9

• Reply 15 of 32
    [QUOTE=WhetWurm] That's dedication! One mac product gives you trouble so you buy more of the same brand. Excellent!/QUOTE]

Truth is, I bought this MacBook Pro Im working on right now, two days after I posted that. So far I have no problems with iTunes 7. Im happy.

I Shouldn't have expected to put an eskimo(ipod) in a desert(pc) and expect it to survive. The eskimo needs to be in an igloo(my macbook). duh. Sure the eskimo my cross the desert and be beaten and broken but ill will just work better in an igloo.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:

Truth is, I bought this MacBook Pro Im working on right now, two days after I posted that. So far I have no problems with iTunes 7. Im happy.

I Shouldn't have expected to put an eskimo(ipod) in a desert(pc) and expect it to survive. The eskimo needs to be in an igloo(my macbook). duh. Sure the eskimo my cross the desert and be beaten and broken but ill will just work better in an igloo.

Awesome analogy. Glad you got it working better. I too will have a MBP soon so I'll be moving all my ipod stuff over before too long.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Quote:

I'm thinking that Coverflow tries to cache all of your album art in RAM. Just now I started up iTunes and watched RAM usage as I swept through album art using Coverflow.... I started at 60 MB and was up to 350 MB in just a few seconds of sweeping through my library. I turned off the Coverflow view and went back to the basic list view, then RAM usage dropped to around 200 MB, but it wouldn't go back down to that original 60 MB.

A friend of mine pointed this out to me this morning, and I couldn't belive it.. i Scrolled though my library in coverflow, and iTunes ate 1.16 GB of my RAM... it released about 150MB when I stopped scrolling..

The thing that's crazy is that iTunes has only found cover art for about 10% of my library.. If I had artwork for everything in my library, i'm sure it would easily eat all of my 4.5GB of Ram..

In 7.0.1 they need to at least give you the option to somehow dump the ram without having to restart iTunes.

Maybe a maximum memory setting for coverflow.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Sorry, but I have no personal need to use Coverview.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut

Sorry, but I have no personal need to use Coverview.

Thanks for your insightful contribution to this thread.

• Reply 20 of 32
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    David Pogue has a blog listing many of the complaints about iTunes 7. He says some of the bugs are located between the keyboard and chair some are genuinely Apple's fault and they are working on them. Looks as though most of the bugs are on Windows.

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/?p=139

Quote:

I'm thinking that Coverflow tries to cache all of your album art in RAM.

Yeah I would imagine so. What other way could they have the album art instantly accessible. HDD is too slow.

Quote:

The thing that's crazy is that iTunes has only found cover art for about 10% of my library.. If I had artwork for everything in my library, i'm sure it would easily eat all of my 4.5GB of Ram.

Its likely a trade off between the number on songs vs the amount of RAM you have. I have 1.2 GB of RAM in my laptop with 500 songs, all have cover art. Right now with iTunes on and full cover art scrolling I have 280MB Active, 566MB Inactive, 266MB Free.