Asteroid = iTV

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I think with yesterday's announcement, the mystery of Asteroid was finally answered in the appearance of iTV. Your thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I think you are right.

Looks the same and has all of the outputs.

Not for garage band though.

Also, why Apple went nuts over the leak.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Exactly. At the time, there was no indication of a move to movie downloads or any of the current strategy.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    very clever observation, Spam.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

very clever observation, Spam.

Not to jump in on his praise, but I thought it was a given that this was Asteroid?

I didn't think otherwise for a second and assumed everyone else knew it too.

:shrug:
  • Reply 5 of 34
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Exactly. At the time, there was no indication of a move to movie downloads or any of the current strategy.

Precisely. The closer you can keep to your chest large-scale strategic info, the better. If the Asteroid leak had indeed been for the iTV, and then the source later turned out to clarify what the box was for, then one of the largest moves in the company's history would have been pre-announced for competition, *years* ahead of time.

Edited to clarify.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnq

Not to jump in on his praise, but I thought it was a given that this was Asteroid?

I didn't think otherwise for a second and assumed everyone else knew it too.

:shrug:

I totally forgot about the asteroid. At any rate. Nice catch Spam.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

I totally forgot about the asteroid. At any rate. Nice catch Spam.

Thank you, thank you.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    iTV is not asteroid

asteriod was a firewire audio box for garageband. macuser uk reported that apple ended up helping a 3rd party make it.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by othello

iTV is not asteroid

asteriod was a firewire audio box for garageband. macuser uk reported that apple ended up helping a 3rd party make it.

So where is it?
  • Reply 10 of 34
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    M-Audio iControl.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    ^^^ Yep. Sorry, no cookie for an iTV <- Asteroid connection.

Can you imagine how much of a conniption Steve was going through when Apple was leaking someone else's product after the hissy-fits he throws over someone else releasing Apples products early?
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

M-Audio iControl.

I don't think so. iControl looks and sounds nothing like the descriptions that came out at the time for Asteroid. iTV does.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    iTV= Asteroid

the garage band link was a red herring.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Quote:

Asteroid will require Mac OS X v10.2.8 or later, iLife ‘04 or later, and a computer with a built-in FireWire port. A forthcoming revision to the Mac OS X Sound Preference Pane will reportedly allow Asteroid to interface with Apple's Soundtrack, Logic, DVD Player, and other third party applications. Meanwhile, revised FireWire Audio sound drivers have already appeared in early versions of the company's Mac OS X 10.3.7 Update.

The device will retail for approximately $129 - $149 and will aggressively target similar products such as M-Aduio's Mobile Pre and Edirol's UA-5 USB Digital Audio Capture device. But even at $149, Asteroid will represent one of the lowest priced FireWire breakout boxes on the market, selling for $250 less than M-Audio's more sophisticated FireWire 410 audio interface.

What of this has to do with iTV at all?
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ai51240

What of this has to do with iTV at all?

If you were not aware, there was a case recently... aw, screw it. I can't explain stuff like this to every Johnny come lately anymore. Look it up yourself.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    asteroid was for audio. it was not for video.

macuser uk reported way back that apple couldn't get the retail price for asteroid down to 99 dollars, so decided to help m-audio release it themselves. this was discussed on AI way back...

oh yeah. one of the 'key' things about the asteroid leak was that it had firewire. don't see any firewire on the itv...
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:

I don't think so. iControl looks and sounds nothing like the descriptions that came out at the time for Asteroid. iTV does.

Dude, Apple HELPED build it. Asteroid != 3rd party thing.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:

Thank you, thank you.

Nice work tiger! oops i mean leopard oops I mean comet damn otmcn. (one too many code names ) seriously nice work finally so one at Ai thinking beyond the square.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

If you were not aware, there was a case recently... aw, screw it. I can't explain stuff like this to every Johnny come lately anymore. Look it up yourself.

Kornspiracy! Kornspiracy! Danger Will Robinson!!! We must irrationally equate all old rumors to products that don't fit!

The Dolphin swims and eats pie in a beautiful trinity!!!!

bah!
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Quote:

Oh, horseshit. Read the description. iTV has absolutely nothing to do with the description of Asteroid. FireWire? Garageband? Logic? Soundtrack? $129? it's wrong on every single level.