Apple introduces iTunes 7, previews iTV device

Comments

• Reply 121 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984

Well, in this day and age 640x480 4:3 is really not acceptable. It's fine as a middle option but there should be something better available. So many people are buying 1280x720 and 1920x1080 HDTV sets these days and there are a lot of TV shows broadcast in widescreen HD. At least offer a native widescreen DVD quality option. Sheesh. This isn't 2003. Get with the times Apple. I'm not paying $9.99 or more to watch a movie full screen. Do they even sell DVDs that way any more? Of course they still haven't introduced a widescreen video iPod so I guess it's a moot point anyway.

The new iPod nano and shuffle models look nice. Interesting to see the iTV will have HDMI and component video in light of the outdated 640x480 4:3 video resolution announced today. I don't know what to make of that. Knowing Apple it will be used only to watch Quicktime movie trailers.

This format supports their current line up. Makes perfect sense and protects the existing market for DVDs and Blu-Ray discs, etc. I knew they'd find a middle ground on this.
  • Reply 122 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sCreeD

Okay done.

Gross Pointe Blank

Duration: 1:47:25

File Size: 1.12GB

Download time: 21 minutes (corporate network)

Format: widescreen (CONFIRMED!) no black bars

Resolution: 640x344 (ugh!)

Notes:

1) Also plays in Quicktime player (assuming computer is authorized)

2) Chapters with thumbnails option in QT and iTunes

You're welcome.

Thank you! What about special features that are on most DVDs?
  • Reply 123 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkovach

I'm waiting to receive my new iMac for upgrade to iTunes 7, but I would really like to know now...does this version support transcoding Apple Lossless files to AAC for the iPod (a la Shuffle) for all iPods (or at least the new ones)?

This is my #1 want.

Answered my own question. There appears to be no transcoding "on-the-fly" for anything other than the shuffle.

Too bad. I have 2000 CDs ripped to lossless, but I have to transcode and manage a separate library of MP3/AAC files in iTunes. Makes no sense to me - offer it as an option, and I'll deal with the initial time for transcode for a 60G library.
  • Reply 124 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikerdude

YUP, this happened to me also on my XP box at work (ugh) but a refresh on the movies site cleared it all up.

I was looking on the US site as the Aus site doesn't have the movies link.

Can't wait to get home and upgrade my 20 inch Imac g5 to see what all the fuss is about with the new look.

I like how it looks on the PC as it is distinctly different than ugly XP apps, also like the software update mechanism that was also installed at the same time on the PC

Does anyone know if coverflow on the mac will still work as a standalone app?

Hate having to use a PC at work

Bikerdude

Do you have Albums which work with Coverflow? Coverflow on the iTunes Store works for me but when I look at my own Library the Coverflow is jacked (as per picture above).
  • Reply 125 of 144
    Edit: No. ITUNES Store Coverflow Movies browsing is also jacked. Fuck this stupid XP. What a waste of Apple talent to code for this fucking windows garbage.
  • Reply 126 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

WTF?? You can used the side to side arrow keys for iTunes mini player!!

No, I said the Volume control no longer functions via the up and down arrow keys in the mini player. The left and right arrow keys still work. The arrow key functions have been around since the days of Soundjam 1.0 Why the heck would they choose to pull them out now?

1. With the up / down arrow keys you could adjust the volume without invoking the horrible system volume feedback sound. 2. It was a more fine volume control than the system sound controls (Which are now the only way to adjust the volume via the keyboard). 3.Changing that volume didn't affect the system alert volume or the volume of other apps.

Anyone else notice that the new App Icon resembles the old iTunes 1.0 icon?
  • Reply 127 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Plague Bearer

Anyone else notice that the new App Icon resembles the old iTunes 1.0 icon?

Yup, iTunes was Blue then purple? then green? then now back to Blue. Someone cue us in on the exact "iconographic history of iTunes" - I believe this is now a Phd program at some universities.
  • Reply 128 of 144
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnurse

yeah, ok.. like your system can reproduce the music the way the artist made it on their million dollar system.. yeah, sure.

I hate to tell you this, but recording engineers usually tailor the music to sound best on an audiophile's $3000-4000 home system.
  • Reply 129 of 144
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut

I hate to tell you this, but recording engineers usually tailor the music to sound best on an audiophile's $3000-4000 home system.

Depends what kind of music it is. Sometimes (and very, very annoyingly), they actually engineer it to sound good on low-end systems by compressing the dynamic range, and (rarely) fiddling with the frequency response.
  • Reply 130 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

Ok. Please calm down.

Your options:

1) Click the red x button. When you click on the iTunes icon in the dock, iTunes window will re-appear. Clickcing the red x does not quit iTunes or stop the music.

2) Apple+H hides any application. The windows are preserved as is, just hidden. When you reactive the Application (i.e. by dock or Apple+Tab), the windows are now visible. Another noteworthy thing is that when hiding applications, they are NOT minimized, thus do not appear in the dock (saves space in dock). Some applications (very few but some), namely photoshop, has Apple+H already taken as a keyboard shortcut. To hide photoshop (or any app), click and hold on the App's dock icon until the menu pops open. Select hide.

3) Press green maximize button so iTunes turns into mini player. In iTunes preference you can get mini player to stick to the front. By default it floats in standard order of Apps/Windows.

thanks for trying to help, but this still doesn't address my problem. I used command-1 in place of command-H, as it was good for opening AND closing the window. I don't want to use my mouse, nor am I an idiot who thinks pressing the red x necessarily closes a program. =)

I guess i'll have to get used to hiding it, not good whne you've done command-1 for YEARS. Though a good shortcut i've discovered is to command-tab into itunes, and use command-l to show the current song. this somewhat addresses my original gripe, that no keyboard shortcut would OPEN the itunes window anymore. Screw the mouse, no matter how mighty it might be!

• Reply 131 of 144
    alexius,

would this program be of any help:

http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/menumaster

You could change the keyboard shortcuts assigned to itunes. Normal warnings about installing haxies apply, but many people find haxies very helpful. Also, a simple applescript could bring the iTunes window to the front. You would just need to find a program that could trigger the applescript.
  • Reply 132 of 144
    This has to rank as the best Itunes update since the Itunes store was created.

They've changed the interface. Clearly separated the Library from the store, devices and playlists.

The ability to change how you view your library and the ability to look at your library, playlists, devices, movies, etc. Who wants to look at their music library the same way as their podcasts or videos?

Cover flow is simply gorgeous, now if it could do a better job of caching artwork in the next couple of updates...

The ability to download artwork is great for recent and future albums but for those of us with older musical tastes and collections, we're still going to Amazon, Walmart and still hunting for the program that does it right.

Gapless is another big improvement: I cringed every single time I heard that inevitable pause while I listened to Jimmy Castor Bunch - Its just begun transitioned to James Brown - Give it up, turn it lose. Before you had to record them as a single song to get what was originally intended. 8)
  • Reply 133 of 144
    Still curious if iTunes movies come with Special Features... commentary tracks... y'know, all the stuff you'd get from a DVD?
  • Reply 134 of 144
    At this point, why is Apple giving away iTunes to Windows users? They should charge them a $10 fee to upgrade to iTunes 7 and for future updates as well. Consider it a Windows tax; the price you pay for not having a Mac.
  • Reply 135 of 144
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by baygbm

At this point, why is Apple giving away iTunes to Windows users? They should charge them a $10 fee to upgrade to iTunes 7 and for future updates as well. Consider it a Windows tax; the price you pay for not having a Mac.

That's a joke, right?
  • Reply 136 of 144
    You give away the first bag of crack to get them hooked, baygbm.
  • Reply 137 of 144
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Still curious if iTunes movies come with Special Features... commentary tracks... y'know, all the stuff you'd get from a DVD?

Sorry I didn't address this earlier.

Short answer: no.

You go from US legal info to opening credits to movie to closing credits.
  • Reply 138 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sCreeD

Sorry I didn't address this earlier.

Short answer: no, you go from US legal info to opening credits to movie to closing credits.

Thanks, sCreed. Well, that seals it for me. I don't think I'd ever buy a movie without the extras.
  • Reply 139 of 144
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

I don't think I'd ever buy a movie without the extras.

Same here. If I want DVD quality, special features, pretty packages, and more I'll buy...a DVD. So it may be a few bucks more expensive. I can still...um, watch it in a number of different places with my little friend.
  • Reply 140 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut

Same here. If I want DVD quality, special features, pretty packages, and more I'll buy...a DVD. So it may be a few bucks more expensive. I can still...um, watch it in a number of different places with my little friend.