NFL and Apple Offer 2006 NFL Highlights on iTunes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    I see a lot of potential for football, and sports in general, where iTunes/iPod is concerned. In addition to having highlights and commentaries the NFL should offer downloads that focus on specific types of content.

If you only wanted to see offensive/defensive plays from your team that that is all that would be shown. Same goes for people that like passing/running games, although this download would show plays by both teams.

Another option would be for the camera to be at an angle and distance that would let you follow the person carrying to ball while also letting you see the over-all action of the other players. This would be great for those times when there is a scramble, fumble, or interception.

Taking it to the extreme the NFL, at the end of the season, could even focus on plays involving a specific player, but this would require adding metadata to each play. An example would be "Lynn Swan, home games, 20+ yard gain, getting a touch-down.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder

Melgross, you're missing the point. DirectTV advertises this. They take out everything but the actual gameplay (in other, when teams are in the huddle and time is actually running off the clock) and the game only takes about 30 minutes to view, and you see every single play.

BINGO...

If you want to see what these look like, just...ahem...search torrents for a game from this week and DL it, BTers dont share the whole 3 hour show whrn this is availible...

***I am not endorcing piracy, the best way to see what I mean is to view one of these programs...If you know someone with D* and ST ask them by all means...or maybe go to a local sports bar and have them put that on for ya if they arent bussy.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

I do understand what you are saying. Just sell the gameplay. But, I find that to be unsatisfactory. Without the commentary by the announcers, most of the time you won't have any idea as to what's going on. Why was play stopped? Who received a penalty, and how much. Who's in the game, and who's out, and why. Etc. I really don't know how they do that, and make it interesting, and useful.

I'm not saying that they can't, but I just don't see how. I want to watch the entire quarter, officials waving flags and all.

Given the choice, I wouldnt mind some of the announcers falling out of their friggen skyboxes...John Maddden, I am looking at you!

these games do have announcer calls from the acctuall CBS/FOX broadcast, as well as all of the graphics: the score, posession, time, play clock, penalty indicators...everything...
  • Reply 24 of 39
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer

Given the choice, I wouldnt mind some of the announcers falling out of their friggen skyboxes...John Maddden, I am looking at you!

these games do have announcer calls from the acctuall CBS/FOX broadcast, as well as all of the graphics: the score, posession, time, play clock, penalty indicators...everything...

As I said, I haven't seen it, and I'm not saying it is bad. But I like to see the game straight through. Others might not care, and that's their choice.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Ahhh, I hate almost all announcers

It might not be good for casual fans, but hardcore ones would love this. All the plays, one after the other (I've never seen the direcTV thing either, but I wouldn't be suprised if they included the announcment of penalties / instant replay rulings) would be awesome. You could watch plays over and over again, just like coaches, and find out who's doing their job and who isn't.

I want this right now! I've worked myself into a froth just thinking about it.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    john madden and al michaels are my favorite announcer combo ever. on the other hand... come on, Joe Theisman for MNF... pfffftttt my ears are in pain.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

john madden and al michaels are my favorite announcer combo ever. on the other hand... come on, Joe Theisman for MNF... pfffftttt my ears are in pain.

I cant stand Madden, he talks as if all of the fans have never seen a game before: an average madden ramble would be something like "What the quarterback was trying to do there was find a man open so he could catch the ball for a first down, but the pocket colapsed so he threw it away" Oddly enough, that is pretty much how my dad explained football to me; WHEN I WAS 5 YEARS OLD!

NO SHIT SHERLOCK! I just saw te friggen play!

Michaels is the one pulling the weight, Madden is a raving loonitic who happened to coach at one point so now he can ramble on aimlessly on national tv...great...
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Honestly, the radio announcers are usually best, The two I get here are the Colts Radio Network and WBBM-Bears radio network, those guys can paint a picture of exactly whats going on on the fly, not waisting your time with crap, just telling you what is going on: if oyu must have announcers, put the radio announcers on it...or better yet, no announcers at all, just the statium PA
  • Reply 29 of 39
    i really would prefer announcers than no announcers at all. but you are right about radio announcers, they are probably more skilled at describing the action because TV announcers sometimes take for granted that the viewer is in front of a screen already (well, and i don't blame them, after all we are talking about television) and rely on graphs, screen elements, their yellow pen, onscreen stats, etc. to do their job.

and i still love madden no matter what just personal preference. i like his rants.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Announcers have a tougher job than they are given credit for.

Look at our forums. how many times do people come into a thread, and make a statement, or ask a question, that has been discussed to death just one page before? So, some people want to help, and it starts over again.

Announcers have that problem. Not everyone watching is sophisticated enough to see what someone who lives the sport does.

Many people are part time viewers, and need the explanations.

Some may even be that 5 year old, or at least an 8 year old. Not all fathers want to, or are able to, explain what is happening in a game, even if they do understand.

It's hard to balance out the explanations to those who need basic stuff, with the more esoteric comments that sports fanatics want to hear. The popularity of the show tells the story.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    a_greer, I agree with you. I often watch games with the TV muted and the radio on.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:

Announcers have that problem. Not everyone watching is sophisticated enough to see what someone who lives the sport does.

Many people are part time viewers, and need the explanations.

I dont really see that applying for any game but the super bowl, but for the sake of discussion lets say you are right...

Why not have 2 audio feeds (just like they do with SAP for spanish so illegals can enjoy our TV shows too) one feed for N00bs and one for the people who dont need someone explaining every god-damned thing...
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Quote:

I dont really see that applying for any game but the super bowl, but for the sake of discussion lets say you are right...

Why not have 2 audio feeds (just like they do with SAP for spanish so illegals can enjoy our TV shows too) one feed for N00bs and one for the people who dont need someone explaining every god-damned thing...

Cost.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Quote:

Cost.

Thank God for AM radios and mute buttons...I am defenately getting Serius before next season.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:

SAP is not only for illegals.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    The NFL highlights are up on iTunes now... Looking at the length of the episodes (8-12 minutes), I am hesitating to get the season pass. Can anyone comment on how satisfying it is to watch just the highlights from the game?
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan

The NFL highlights are up on iTunes now... Looking at the length of the episodes (8-12 minutes), I am hesitating to get the season pass. Can anyone comment on how satisfying it is to watch just the highlights from the game?

They are? Where the heck are they? I can't find them for the life of me.....
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder

They are? Where the heck are they? I can't find them for the life of me.....

I just clicked on its banner in the TV shows section. Now that I go back and try to find it, I can't easily navigate to it... good thing that I saved the Vikings season pass into my shopping cart. Its under "2006 NFL Follow Your Team - <your team here>"
  • Reply 39 of 39
    ahh, thanks. When I went before I didn't have the big banner at the top.