Stores up; still no MBP updates.

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

That will be worth the wait.

But I doubt we'll get all of that, especially the cosmetics will probably be less than I hope for.

And by the way: shanmugam, you should wait, it will be worth the extra weeks of agony.

At least you get a faster processor and more ram for the same amount of money.

Or you'll pay less by buying outgoing stock at a reseller.
  • Reply 42 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar

But I doubt we'll get all of that, especially the cosmetics will probably be less than I hope for.

And by the way: shanmugam, you should wait, it will be worth the extra weeks of agony.

I fthey make 1gb ram on single dimm and 100gb hd standard on $1900 model, I'll be happy. That's kinda why I'm still waiting. Right now a refurb MBP with the single dimm 1gb ram and 100 gb hd is $1949. Knowing they could come out with new MBPs with this spec, or better, for $1999 any day now is giving me pause.
  • Reply 43 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar

Sure, i can wait until next wed ... otherwise have to get whatever available ...
  • Reply 44 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

I fthey make 1gb ram on single dimm and 100gb hd standard on $1900 model, I'll be happy. That's kinda why I'm still waiting. Right now a refurb MBP with the single dimm 1gb ram and 100 gb hd is $1949. Knowing they could come out with new MBPs with this spec, or better, for $1999 any day now is giving me pause.

backtomac, is it ok to get a refurb MBP?, they have a good discount as well in singapore store ...

is it really pre owned & got issues? or just apple wants to sell at cheap price to get rid of stock (to get the new models in the stores)???
  • Reply 45 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam

backtomac, is it ok to get a refurb MBP?, they have a good discount as well in singapore store ...

is it really pre owned & got issues? or just apple wants to sell at cheap price to get rid of stock (to get the new models in the stores)???

Some argue that a refurb is better than a new item, as any issues it would have are fixed.

They may be pre-owned, but they wont have issues.
  • Reply 46 of 80
    thanks revs, let me hold to the purchase until next tuesday or the following tuesday ...

may be the best wait until 27th sep and see whether if there is any update or not ...
  • Reply 47 of 80
    This is an isolated experience but I recently bought a refurb black macbook and it came with all sorts of minor, cosmetic problems, dead pixels, faulty seal as well as an almost completely useless superdrive which wouldn't read any even slightly marked cds which a friends macbook had no problems with at all...
  • Reply 48 of 80
    ok so all the laptops with C2D that ive been looking at all have around the same ship date....October 6th...I wonder if this could be the week apple will update there MBP line...Guess we'll just have to wait and see. I would say the next possible date would be the 10th...I don't expect anything before then. If Apple is on top of it, they should come out the tuesday after dell.

Another possibility I was thinking about is maybe they won't update till santa rosa. I know there has been a newsletter stating before thanksgiving, but why would they update the line with the C2D, and then two months later, update again, but with a whole new board. It doesn't make sence, we all know Apple isn't that quick with updates lol.

jus my thoughts...anyone else??
  • Reply 49 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta

ok so all the laptops with C2D that ive been looking at all have around the same ship date....October 6th...I wonder if this could be the week apple will update there MBP line...Guess we'll just have to wait and see. I would say the next possible date would be the 10th...I don't expect anything before then. If Apple is on top of it, they should come out the tuesday after dell.

Another possibility I was thinking about is maybe they won't update till santa rosa. I know there has been a newsletter stating before thanksgiving, but why would they update the line with the C2D, and then two months later, update again, but with a whole new board. It doesn't make sence, we all know Apple isn't that quick with updates lol.

jus my thoughts...anyone else??

You have a good point, but I sure hope you're wrong..
  • Reply 50 of 80
    Well for the Santa Rosa question there are two options.

Apple can wait until Santa Rosa because they're still selling the current MBP's and it's not like 64-bit apps are readily available now, Leopard isn't due for awhile.

Or, Apple will release now because they want to keep up with the releases from the pc dealers.

I hope its the latter
  • Reply 51 of 80
    Hopefully people will stop buying the MBPs so they will release the new ones! =(
  • Reply 52 of 80
    I wondered the same thing Here, and was ridiculed as a chronic pessimist.

I still wonder....

Other possiblilies: bigger changes besides just the chip; trying to fix heat or shutdown issues; demand still high for current MBP (maybe there's a breakpoint they are waiting for).

Who knows, but I ready to stop holding my breath and move on, disappointed.
  • Reply 53 of 80
    Your last post proves I was right. Doesn't it?

Apple can't wait almost a year between updates (anymore).

In october the current only slightly speedbumped incarnation is about 5-6 months old.

The MacBook Pro 15" as it is, is 9 months old.

It's time for some less minor improvements and those can't wait another 6-7 months for a fabled Santa Rosa chipset and 800Mhz FSB.

As already mentioned somewhere, it has probably to do with the current success of the MacBook.

Apple needs good timing and enough stock to keep the current sales momentum.
  • Reply 54 of 80
    On the other hand though. How much difference will an extra 143mhz in FSB really make? The Powerbooks ran at 167Mhz, and I never really thought it felt "slow". Sure, it wasn't the fastest, but OS X felt much snappier with 167mhz FSB than any Windows machine of the same specs.

Could it be that OS X makes better use of what it has? Or will the FSB make a biger difference now that we're on an x86 platform?

Either way, I'm not waiting for Santa Rosa. I've been waiting almost 4 years for a 64-bit dual core Mac laptop to replace my old 887mhz G4... And I'm gonna get one.
  • Reply 55 of 80
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I'm betting next week. Lots of small pro updates lately, and word that 10.4.8 is just about ready to go = MBP
  • Reply 56 of 80
    I'm saying not a day before the 10th based on the fact that all other companies arent shipping before then.
  • Reply 57 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder

I'm betting next week. Lots of small pro updates lately, and word that 10.4.8 is just about read to go = MBP

rongolds theory?
  • Reply 58 of 80
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar

rongolds theory?

you got it
  • Reply 59 of 80
    Given this will be Apple's first 64 bit laptop, it might be they've something bigger planned than just a "speed bump" type release.

I don't want to say they'll do a special event, as their lack of one for the MacBook (which was also a significant machine) together with the awful one they did for the iPod speakers suggests they're not always doing to tie special events to new product releases.

But at the same time, perhaps they're changing other aspects of the MBP, rather than just announcing a new version with one chip swapped over.
  • Reply 60 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peharri

Given this will be Apple's first 64 bit laptop, it might be they've something bigger planned than just a "speed bump" type release.

I don't want to say they'll do a special event, as their lack of one for the MacBook (which was also a significant machine) together with the awful one they did for the iPod speakers suggests they're not always doing to tie special events to new product releases.

But at the same time, perhaps they're changing other aspects of the MBP, rather than just announcing a new version with one chip swapped over.

I thought they would do a event for the 64 bit chip too a while ago, but now that i think about it, they are having a redesign of the mobo and having a lot of upgrades to the MBP 1Q2007. This is where the case redesign would be, along with everything else. I think if they were to have an event, this would be the reason. New case, faster FSB, new mobo, possibly new GFX, faster CPU, and they will prob have higher res screens, more ports, and whatever else they are deciding to do.

I am still thinking they might skip the merom all together and just wait for the Santa Rosa. I'll say it again, I can't see Apple updating now, and then in two months updating again. No company will do this. If they do upgrade now, i wouldn't exspect Santa Rosa till 2Q2007 at the earliest because they need to get their bang for their buck too. We all know the PC world changes rapidly, but not two months. Not even Dell does 2 month upgrades. As for Apple and Merom, no one as of now is SHIPPING a merom notebook, so how do you want Apple to.