Tabbed everything

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm using M$ Word right now, and having to cycle between a bunch of windows. As I do this, I keep wanting to instintively press the keyboard combination to move to a different tab in Camino. Instead, I have to blindly cycle with apple-~.

It seems like moving all multi-window apps to tabs would dramatically help people to shift back and forth between documents.

Please don't suggest Expose -- screwing around with the mouse while typing is going to be even less convenient than my current strategy.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    All windows in the same context? That'd be horrible.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I know you said don't suggest Expose, but...Expose. You can set Expose to be triggered by keys F8-F12 I think. Then you can use the arrow keys to choose which window you want. I personally prefer the mouse combined with hot corners, but you don't apparently.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Actually, Witch might be what you want.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

That's a cool little app, Chucker.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

THANK YOU SO MUCH! That is exactly the sort of thing that I was hoping to find out about.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gruth

THANK YOU SO MUCH! That is exactly the sort of thing that I was hoping to find out about.

Next time, get off your lazy ass and do a search on MacUpdate or VersionTracker. Bet you didn't even spend 1 second searching for such an app.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol

Next time, get off your lazy ass and do a search on MacUpdate or VersionTracker. Bet you didn't even spend 1 second searching for such an app.

I'm tempted to tell you to fuck yourself.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    I have a question: When keyboard shortcuts are shown, sometimes they show a symbol of the key instead of saying what key. Some of those pictures are not printed on the keys. So how do I find out what key that symbol represents? For example, one would be a symbol that looks like the letter Z but as though the top of the Z was pulled to the left and the bottom of the pulled to the right. Is that supposed to be Control or Alt or Option or Escape?

Cheers
  • Reply 9 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Option/Alt.

The glyph is supposed to represent going from one path to an optional one. Think of it as two parallel lines along the top and bottom, and a switch between the two, like a railroad line.

No, it's not obvious to me either, it took me the longest time to figure out where they got the design from.

^ is Ctrl, a symbol used for decades in the Unix world. An up arrow is Shift.

FWIW, there's a page in the Mac Help that explains all of these. Search for 'modifier keys'.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    ⌃ ctrl Control

⌥ opt Option

⌘ cmd Command / Apple