20" imac - What upgrades do you guys think are worth it?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi there,

I want to get the new imac. Every sales person I speak to points me in the direction of different upgrades.

This is what I am going to be doing with my imac (nothing too serious). Using ichat, organising photos, a little home movie editing, buying an external aerial to watch digital tv, music, internet and hopefully I will use it with the new "iTV" next year. I guess I will then hope to record things on it as well. My aim will also be to become a bit of a mac fan and learn some new stuff.

What upgrades would you recommend and can you explain why? If I went for a 17" would the specs be too low in the future?

Thanks

Poppet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I have the 17" $1199 model. It's the most powerfull computer I've ever owned. You really don't need any upgrades. Graphics would be the only upgrade worth it. But Halo runs perfectly on the stock 128MB x1600 with all settings on high.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I would suggest as much RAM as you can afford. I have found OS X to be a RAM hog. THe more it has to work with, the better your computer will run. I think that 1GB has to be a minimum.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    You can add ram at any time. At least they go out the door with 1 gig now. If it were still 512, memory would be most important.

I am about to purchase one myself and the only upgrade that is of interest to me is the VRAM upgrade from 128 to 256. This is not something that can be done after the purchase (within reason of course). This small upgrade may help during the span of ownership as what works well today may not do as well with the software of tomorrow. The rest of the options are better done in the aftermarket. I hate having to wait because of the one upgrade, but it'll be worth it.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    speaking of user upgrades later, what is the status regarding the user upgrading the hard drive at a later time. Yesterday, I was told by a guy at the Apple store that the hard drive in the new iMacs is not user replaceable. Can anyone comment?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I'm curious what the chance that the new iMacs will be able to have their Superdrive upgraded to whatever HD format wins out?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Apple will not provide internal upgrades for Blue Ray or HD-DVD. Not to say it can't be done, but you'll more likely see Firewire external drives. By thge time they are mainstream in a small form factor, you'll be wanting a new Mac anyway.

Hard drives are not user replaceable either. Nothing is that is inside the imac. A technician can change out hard drives, but again, you would be better off adding an external firewire drive. This gives you a better backup solution as well as usuability with any future purchase. Unless you do video, the standard 250 GB drive in the iMac should satisfy most for quite a while. That's a big drive.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Poppet

Hi there,

I want to get the new imac. Every sales person I speak to points me in the direction of different upgrades.

This is what I am going to be doing with my imac (nothing too serious). Using ichat, organising photos, a little home movie editing, buying an external aerial to watch digital tv, music, internet and hopefully I will use it with the new "iTV" next year. I guess I will then hope to record things on it as well. My aim will also be to become a bit of a mac fan and learn some new stuff.

What upgrades would you recommend and can you explain why? If I went for a 17" would the specs be too low in the future?

Thanks

Poppet.

If you do plan on getting iTV, pull cat5e (which will do gigabit as long as it is a shortish run) from the computer/switch/router to the TV, Wireless is good, but for real time video, you will be able to notice a differance between the speed of WIFI and wiered.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lcseds

Apple will not provide internal upgrades for Blue Ray or HD-DVD. Not to say it can't be done, but you'll more likely see Firewire external drives. By thge time they are mainstream in a small form factor, you'll be wanting a new Mac anyway.

I've had this 'ole Dell for 5 years now, and I was hoping a new $2000 computer might go past the time Hi Def DVD is mainstream.

Quote:

Hard drives are not user replaceable either. Nothing is that is inside the imac. A technician can change out hard drives, but again, you would be better off adding an external firewire drive. This gives you a better backup solution as well as usuability with any future purchase. Unless you do video, the standard 250 GB drive in the iMac should satisfy most for quite a while. That's a big drive.

I am planning on doing some home movie work, and possible other video/TV type things

I guess that just highlights the reason I'm reluctant to switch from a PC. I know it's the MAC OS, and I'll probably end up with an iMac at some point. But it was nice to swap out my old CD-R/RW drive for a new DVD-R/RW when they came out, or suppliment my meager 40GB HD with a second, 120GB drive. No messy wires or external enclosures cluttering up things, which I thought was the whole poini of the iMac. Arrg, I wish Apple would release an "affordable" Tower!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer

If you do plan on getting iTV, pull cat5e (which will do gigabit as long as it is a shortish run) from the computer/switch/router to the TV, Wireless is good, but for real time video, you will be able to notice a differance between the speed of WIFI and wiered.

If it's true that there are lags in iTV, then no one will ever buy it. How can you watch video if there's even the slightest bit of choppiness in the middle of it?

Anyway, I'm a big believer in external hard drives, so I wouldn't upgrade the internal hard drive unless you really need it. Get a larger external drive later for backup/storage.