Unboxing Apple's black 8GB second-gen iPod nano

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Due to popular demand, AppleInsider is publishing a series of unpacking photos taken of Apple's top-of-the-line 8GB black iPod nano.

While arguably the sleekest looking of the second-generation iPod nano family due to its black-on-black motif, the 8GB model is otherwise identical in form and function to its lower-capacity cousins.

However, its anodized aluminum enclosure sports more of a matte finish than the candy-colored 4GB models, which tend to radiate a slight metallic sparkle under bright lights.

Also with the 8GB model, Apple uses black injection-molded plastic for the top and base of the player. The Click-Wheel is also black. On all other models, these portions of the player use white plastics.

The second-generation iPod nano continues to ship in somewhat limited quantities. Most Apple retail stores have so far kept their allotment of the new players behind the sales counter.

Retail stores are also refusing to offer educational and other discounts on the players. Similarly, the new nanos do not qualify for any existing Apple rebates.

On Wednesday, AppleInsider also posted high-quality photos of the green 4GB iPod nano.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    Well, to be honest I was thinking "man I wish I could get the black one in 4GB", but now I'm convinced the blue or silver is a better choice. Maybe it looks better in person.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    I know the black nano costs just as much as the 30gb ipod that plays videos and games... but come on.... how f'n SEXY IS THAT 8)
  • Reply 3 of 36
    If only because it doesn't have the white plastic bits top and bottom that have always seemed a bit off on my mini… they were very thorough making sure all the external bits matched the black, which is a nice touch.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skylor

I know the black nano costs just as much as the 30gb ipod that plays videos and games... but come on.... how f'n SEXY IS THAT 8)

oh it is so very much so.

looks like that crazy black monolith from 2001.

its time for a new ipod.... just maybe.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    Has anyone noticed when custom installing iTunes a disabled module for a phone driver?

I know is off the subject but I just wanted to point that out
  • Reply 6 of 36
    umm, so who went to all the trouble of doing the SAME set of photos with the BLACK nano that were done YESTERDAY with the GREEN one???

Someone's got too much time on their hands...

edit: yeah, the monolith look is pretty amazing. They just HAD to make it available only the 8GB model, though...
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Wow this looks nice. Much cooler than the green one imho.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Ok ok... now return this one and buy a pink one! I gotta see how that one looks!
  • Reply 9 of 36
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeAlamaiz

Has anyone noticed when custom installing iTunes a disabled module for a phone driver?

I know is off the subject but I just wanted to point that out

This is for phones like the Motorola ROKR that have iTunes support. It shouldn't be taken to mean there is an iPhone on the way.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    I want to see one turned on so I can see what the screen looks like.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert

I would like to see that too.

I would also like to see 8gb in colors.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    i love it... with fake photoshopped blur effects and all.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Too bad I don't need a nano that big because that is one sexy motherf*cker.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Quote:

see here for the green one turned on. You'll have to scroll a bit, though, and the picture isn't the greatest.

Can you do anything for us about this, Kasper?
  • Reply 15 of 36
    an unboxing of an Apple product being done by a sexy woman who is simultaneously shedding clothing. It would be kind of a nerd-check. At the point where she is about to pop off her bra, if you say, "Wow! Look at those heat sinks!*" <jefffoxworthy>you might be a nerd!</jefffoxworthy>

*provided you are talking about the computer components and haven't made up another synonym for breasts.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leobag

i love it... with fake photoshopped blur effects and all.

I believe it's a macro lens. Extremely close to the subject = shallow depth of field. Also called Bokeh.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    I personally don't like the black (and one "hands-on" review said it shows fingerprints very distinctly). So many people have waited for a higher capacity nano, and now there's only one choice. They should at least offer silver, which was the most popular mini color. How about 2GB and 8GB nanos in silver and black, and 4GB in all colors?

When I use headphones or earbuds I can only listen to lossless formats (I'm used to portable CD players), so 8GB is really a minimum for me.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Cant wait for Apple to release a Black Macbook Pro made from the same material as this 8GB Nano!

(((((( Come on Steve! ))))))
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth

I personally don't like the black (and one "hands-on" review said it shows fingerprints very distinctly). So many people have waited for a higher capacity nano, and now there's only one choice. They should at least offer silver, which was the most popular mini color. How about 2GB and 8GB nanos in silver and black, and 4GB in all colors?

When I use headphones or earbuds I can only listen to lossless formats (I'm used to portable CD players), so 8GB is really a minimum for me.

How about 2, 4 and 8GB Nanos in all colors...
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:

Old and new nano side by side:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...9&postcount=73