Microsoft unveils Zune digital media player (images)

Comments

• Reply 41 of 205
    Zune looks pretty frightening... I think there's an Apple spy that works for MS as a design consultant.
  • Reply 42 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Microsoft said each Zune will come preloaded with content from record labels such as DTS, EMI Music's Astralwerks Records and Virgin Records, Ninja Tune, Playlouderecordings, Quango Music Group, Sub Pop Records, and V2/Artemis Records.

And I'm sure that will be just as nice and useful as all that preloaded software you get on your brand new PC.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JazzJackrabbit86

That brown one is quite possibly the ugliest thing I've ever seen. There's not a gay man on the face of the earth who'd be caught DEAD with one of those.

• Reply 43 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

With it being raised up, I'm guessing they are just click buttons that have a circular shape.

I honestly don't understand how there can't be someone inside Microsoft's design department who just says that it looks awful. I know they're consistent with their bad design but this is ridiculous.

One thing they got right was a widescreen display. That's what I was hoping Apple would do with their ipod video.

I think that zune's display is still 4x3. It's just a little bigger than the iPod's.
  • Reply 44 of 205
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    I wonder what the compression for the video will be. Being that Apple is known to use open standards and Microsoft typically uses WMV (or whatever it's called) I imagine the quality will be rather poor on the Zune.

Not to mention the integration between Windows Media Player and the Zune will most likely be very difficult as opposed to the drag and drop ease of use of iTunes. And with iTunes 7, things just got easier.
  • Reply 45 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

They need to worry about Zune 3.0

It'll take Microsoft a couple years and a couple hundred million monkeys on PCs to get it right.

But eventually they'll put those opposable thumbs to good use and make a decent player.

Well, by then, the iPod will have lept a light year ahead.
  • Reply 46 of 205
    [Duplicate post]
  • Reply 47 of 205
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    iPod: "Hello, I'm an iPod"

Zune: "And I'm a Zune"

iPod: "So Zunie, what's up with the sunless tanning creme. You're positively brown"

Zune: "I was waiting for my security patches to download and fell asleep with it on"

-------

hehe I just can't wait
  • Reply 48 of 205
    this is the chode of mp3 players. look at how beefy that thing is haha.
  • Reply 49 of 205
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Haha, great comments, all! This whole Zune thing is basically a joke. The one possible area I think MS might be able to make some headway is if they were to allow third party software to be programmed for Zune easily. Remember, availability of programs is what drew many people away from the Mac in the first place and to some extent continues to do so today. But then, Apple is already starting (albeit slowly) in that direction with these new games.

Other than that, the wireless and tons of free accessories are nice stuff that will probably draw some people but I don't see this thing competing well with iPod. People who have that much money to spend on a music player care about looks and feel, etc. not just features.
  • Reply 50 of 205
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Question is, will it sync from a Mac!

Not that I really care of course...
  • Reply 51 of 205
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Uh, the brown one made me immediately think of this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...57865278871719

The places my mind goes . .
  • Reply 52 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog

Uh, the brown one made me immediately think of this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...57865278871719

The places my mind goes . .

Good lord, what show was that from?
  • Reply 53 of 205
    Paging 'Creative Patent' lawsuit in 5, 4, 3 ...
  • Reply 54 of 205
    Yeah, but Microsoft's patent license payment will reduce Apple's burden. It probably is tied to number of units sold, plus a base fee. Since Zune has no sales so far, their payment would likely be small... and possibly stay small as a few units per month are sold.
  • Reply 55 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh

iPod: "Hello, I'm an iPod"

Zune: "And I'm a Zune"

iPod: "So Zunie, what's up with the sunless tanning creme. You're positively brown"

Zune: "I was waiting for my security patches to download and fell asleep with it on"

-------

hehe I just can't wait

they would sure be funny commercials, but that'd be giving them way too much importance, considering apple is the dominant force/marketshare leader here.
  • Reply 56 of 205
    I just purchased a digital camera with wireless and the one thing I was quickly reminded of is that even 802.11 is WAY slower than USB. Bluetooth is even slower. After realizing it would take 10 times as long to download my pictures I quickly grabbed the USB cable and used it instead. I think Apple is smart enough to realize this whereas Microsoft will have to learn the hard way.
  • Reply 57 of 205
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Good lord, what show was that from?

Movie called "The Groove Tube" - old but funny.
  • Reply 58 of 205
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by berniemac

I just purchased a digital camera with wireless and the one thing I was quickly reminded of is that even 802.11 is WAY slower than USB. Bluetooth is even slower. After realizing it would take 10 times as long to download my pictures I quickly grabbed the USB cable and used it instead. I think Apple is smart enough to realize this whereas Microsoft will have to learn the hard way.

Yup, this is typical MS vs Apple thinking. The iTv no doubt has 802.11n...
  • Reply 59 of 205

Meh on the video resolution, still 320X240 (although it is physically larger than the video iPod).

To get to DVD resolution (720X480) you'd need 180PPI to get the dimensions down to a 4 inch wide screen, what would be the overall dimensions of such a video player.

I think I'll s(h)it this one out!

• Reply 60 of 205
    i love the brown zune. actually i was a little dissapointed when apple stopped selling the golden, almost brownish ipod mini.