what the new iPod SHOULD look like

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

Thats tight

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Love the idea, I really do. But within 5 seconds, you are going to get 'finger grease' all over the screen.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Still that is freaking awesome, and isn't Apple currently applying for a touchscreen patent???
  • Reply 3 of 25
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Isn't this design majorly old news? Yeah I would love that too but haven't we seen this through and through?
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman

Isn't this design majorly old news? Yeah I would love that too but haven't we seen this through and through?

its the first time I have seen it, and I consider myself a seasoned Mac Addict
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by richieg261

Love the idea, I really do. But within 5 seconds, you are going to get 'finger grease' all over the screen.

The rumors say it will be a touchless "gesture" interface. Who knows if that's true or not?
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Quote:

Not only that, but trying to use the click wheel motion on a flat surface is not very elegant or intuitive.... Try moving your finger around in a circle on a table or desk, it's not the same..
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder

The rumors say it will be a touchless "gesture" interface. Who knows if that's true or not?

Thinking about it, how are you actually going to hold it if the screen is butted up right to the edge; like a CD, holding the iPod by its edges? At the moment you can "grip" the bottom-half of the iPod, with the scroll wheel. With no place to grip, how are you going to hold the thing?
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGrant

its the first time I have seen it, and I consider myself a seasoned Mac Addict

yea that design has been going around id say since last year. or early this year.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shady104

yea that design has been going around id say since last year. or early this year.

Wow, I do not know how I missed that. Wow

- iGrant
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:

Thinking about it, how are you actually going to hold it if the screen is butted up right to the edge; like a CD, holding the iPod by its edges? At the moment you can "grip" the bottom-half of the iPod, with the scroll wheel. With no place to grip, how are you going to hold the thing?

Who knows? As I said, nobody knows if it's true or just a rumor.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    With a bigger screen battery life will be shorter.

With a screen that large could Apple realistically mass produce these for only $250 - $350 and still meet its margins? I doubt it

With a screen that large how durable would it be? The screen would likely be easily scratched, smudged, and broken. People complaining that Apple made a bad product.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    pbg3pbg3 Posts: 211member
    This touchscreen idea is a bad one. I have an MP3 program called mOcean on my Treo that mimics the iPod interface on my touchscreen and it does a horrible job. It skips over menu items constantly and is extremely tedious to deal with. Plus, being able to actually press down on the scroll wheel is really important for me so that I can control my iPod while it's still in my pocket.

It looks like a good idea, but in practice it just doesn't work.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    What if the scroll wheel is on the back of the iPod? You would be able to hold the iPod and work the wheel while watching video without smudging the screen or even sticking your thumb in the way.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts

What if the scroll wheel is on the back of the iPod? You would be able to hold the iPod and work the wheel while watching video without smudging the screen or even sticking your thumb in the way.

What about doing away with the scroll wheel entirely?

Why not use the SIDES of the iPod for interface navigation. Slide your thumb up to scroll up, down to go down. Enter by tapping right side, back/menu by tapping other. next and back by sliding away from/toward screen.

Bingo, finger grease problem solved and no need to have a scroll wheel.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Here's another one, or maybe the same one again:

• Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sport73

What about doing away with the scroll wheel entirely?

Why not use the SIDES of the iPod for interface navigation. Slide your thumb up to scroll up, down to go down. Enter by tapping right side, back/menu by tapping other. next and back by sliding away from/toward screen.

Bingo, finger grease problem solved and no need to have a scroll wheel.

Good idea, someone thought of that too, here it is.

I like it, though I sincerely doubt internet capabilities.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Look what I hust found

Thats crazy. Screens a bit to small but its cool.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by playcrackthesky

Look what I hust found

Thats crazy. Screens a bit to small but its cool.

That's cool but the width/height of the iPod are irrelevant. Thickness is the only thing that matters.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by playcrackthesky

Thats tight

Simply Gorgeous!
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Simply Gorgeous!

I agree, but if it is touch screen, what about the fingerprints?

It owuldnt take long to get finger grease and marks all over it. Unless you put a protective screen over it and replace it once a week. I don't see how they could make it work.