Get a laugh of the MS Zune in action, and the TV Commercial.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Zune in use:

http://www.youtube.com/v/QI3B9XX3lf0 - BAD LINK

http://www.youtube.com/v/jwGol5D9Csg - BAD LINK

Zune TV Ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgSEXKff04E - Possible FAKE (Because it wasn't taken down by YouTube)

I get the giggles watching the Zune in action. The little 4-way Clicker button (Fake Scroll Wheel), and the clunky UI, it's just too funy for words!

EDIT: Updated links

It appears youtube took them down.

Here they are imbedded in a form, remastered, combined with "You can't touch this", yuck, just watched it again:

http://zuneboards.com/showthread.php?tid=203

The admin of the above forum (Zuneboards) ponders if Zune will be stillborn:

http://zuneboards.com/showthread.php?tid=157

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    What.

The.

F***?

Good lord, that's just... stupid.

And is it just me, or does that second one look suspiciously like they're connected via dock cables on the bottom (carefully concealed) edge?
  • Reply 2 of 35
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    If that is the Zune ad I will be MUTING my television everytime it comes on and considering I am at my computer just glancing over at the television once and a while I will not even look at the 30 second spot. If I am actually watching my television from my couch I will just change the channel.

Who is this suppose to appeal to? I am 23 (24 next month) years old, and I have a large range of musical taste from emo to country to hardcore punk but this...this is just pure noise.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    Wow, at least Apple designs "good" visual ads that actually make you want to watch the commericals, not turn of your speakers as soon as humanly possible.

wow

- iGrant
  • Reply 4 of 35
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Meh, three thoughts:

1. PeTA will have a cow.

2. I still have no idea what it does.

3. That song is terrible.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh

Zune in use:

I get the giggles watching the Zune in action. The little 4-way Clicker button (Fake Scroll Wheel), and the clunky UI, it's just too funy for words!

Not to mention it's S L O W!

I can't wait to see Steve Jobs doing an old classic bake off (like they use to with the PowerPC vs. Intel computers) when they announce the new iPod:

Jobs: "I will use an iPod and Senior VP of Worldwide Product Marketing Phil Schiller will use the MS Zune"

Jobs: "let's see how long it takes to find the Zoolander soundtrack on the iPod...okay I'm there"

Schiller : "okay Steve I'm at Bob Dylan...."

Jobs: "let me go ahead and do this again but this time I will turn off the iPod and turn it back on again just to give you a chance..."

Schiller "okay I'm at Miles Davis..."

Jobs "okay it's turned back on and...okay done"

Schiller "I think I should just give up Steve"
  • Reply 6 of 35
    the UI doesn't look that bad actually. the commercial is just ridiculous. Maybe its time apple updates the graphics on their menus
  • Reply 7 of 35
    You know the couple of things I do like is that you can put images as backgrounds and album art next to albums in album view. It would be nice if the iPod could do that. Maybe even change up the color scheme of the interface.

Aside from that I'm going to hold further judgement until I see one in person. I know I spent years being completely unexcited about the iPod until I walked into a Best Buy one day and picked one up in my hands for the first time. Now I love mine.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    The owner of this video does not allow video embedding please

watch this video on YouTube.com

That's all I get when I click on those links.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    As John Lennon once said..."I've got blisters on my fingers!"
  • Reply 10 of 35
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The commercial is hilariously terrible. What the fuck were they thinking.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline

The owner of this video does not allow video embedding please

watch this video on YouTube.com

That's all I get when I click on those links.

WOO TRY CLICKING ON THEM
  • Reply 12 of 35
    well i heard i dont remember where apple was updating the ipod software so u could change the colors and backrounds of the menus. i hope they do everyone has had this option for some time.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

WOO TRY CLICKING ON THEM

I did try that... that's when that error message came up. However, changing /v/ to /watch?v= in the first two links fixed the problem for me.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    almalm Posts: 111member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder

As John Lennon once said..."I've got blisters on my fingers!"

Actually it was Ringo Starr.

Anyways, I just tried to find some specs on Zune. First place to look of course is producer web site. Look what I've got.

• Reply 15 of 35
    ...and Apple just dropped another bombshell on the Zune by lowering the iPod prices by $50.

Is a larger, uglier product worth $50? Sadly, the Zune will be bought by some morons who refuse to purchase Apple...oh well...
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Of course, Zune-hate is practically reflexive around here, so you might all as well be quiet since you aren't in control of what you're posting. The Zune has WiFi. The Zune has a nicer screen. The Zune has a very nice-looking album listing that uses album art. Sure, maybe it's not a work of art, but saying LOL ZUNE SUX GUYZ every time it gets mentioned is immature.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    True - but I do think the WiFi sharing is going to destroy battery life in the real world, and be something most people shut off to conserve power.

ie, *great* bullet point on a feature list, but a disappointment in reality.

Other than that, what does it really offer over the iPod? Radio tuner? Bigger screen? The latter is the one thing that isn't a cheap add-on.

I dunno, it just seems like another ball-o-features amounting to much less than the sum.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    The only advantage I would give the Zune after watching as much of that as I could stomach, is the ability to turn the screen display for watching videos at (apparently) 16:9 instead of the 4:3 of the iPod.

Other than that....
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster

The only advantage I would give the Zune after watching as much of that as I could stomach, is the ability to turn the screen display for watching videos at (apparently) 16:9 instead of the 4:3 of the iPod.

Other than that....

It's still 4:3, it's just bigger.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Now about this WiFi sharing thing-- it appears that the DRM scheme MS worked out with the labels allows you to play a shared song for three days, then it disappears.

On top of that, I've yet to see a reference to this feature that didn't qualify things by using a term like "select" or "promotional" or "certain" to describe the songs that could be shared.

I think it's pretty clear that there is a "sharing" flag that is part of the DRM, and that it won't be turned on for all songs, if even the majority. The term "promotional" immediately made me suspect that the labels hope to use this to drive buzz for certain acts and releases but not as a ubiquitous feature.

So for battery life tradeoff you get temporary sharing on some songs. I would imagine that as soon as early adopters figure out they can't necessarily share the song they want to share but only those the label wants them to share there will be some pretty negative word of mouth.