New iPod in October

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
i didn't put a question mark at the end of the topic because ive decided that there will be one lol.

Just like last year. The nano came in September, and the video will come in October.

Who agrees?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 105
    I don't "agree" wholeheartedly quite yet, but I suspect that, if everything falls into place over at Apple, a second event could be held and Apple could release a video iPod with a larger screen. I think that's especially possible given the new openings in Apple's price range--they wouldn't have to disturb even the 80gb iPod to introduce the new video iPod at $449 or $499 (maybe $399, but that probably wouldn't be enough of a jump--but you never know).

If there were an event, I also suspect that we could see a redesigned MacBook Pro (if it were a drop-in replacement, I think we would have already seen it), and/or an entirely new headless Mac using Conroe. And possibly the iPhone, if we read into AppleInsider's suggestion in the report about Steve bragging about the iPhone that we could see it "sooner than expected."

I'm just not sold on any of these things yet--but I wouldn't say no to them, either.
  • Reply 2 of 105
    I hope not. Poor people that got the 'new' 5Gs would be ripped off.

Although, if my memory serves, they updated the Powerbooks in December and came out with MBPs in January. Not unheard of, just odd marketing.

I could see it happening with Christmas coming and all, but it would be nearly impossible to keep this development under wraps. Everyone's been waiting for the true video.
  • Reply 3 of 105
    apple often does that, where they update a product a small amount before a large "remastered" upgrade.

It just feels like the Apple thing to do, coming out with a new iPod in October
  • Reply 4 of 105
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    I should really hope so. With the Zune nearing retail distribution and it's big(ger screen than the iPod) people will ask why Microsoft has a big screen and Apple doesn't.

Plus I'm in the market for a new iPod
  • Reply 5 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdnc101

Poor people that got the 'new' 5Gs would be ripped off.

Nope, they'd just FEEL ripped off. But they wouldn't be.

If zune ships before christmas, I wouldn't be surprised to see an apple update around the same time.
  • Reply 6 of 105
    Quote:

I hope not. Poor people that got the 'new' 5Gs would be ripped off.

Although, if my memory serves, they updated the Powerbooks in December and came out with MBPs in January. Not unheard of, just odd marketing.

I could see it happening with Christmas coming and all, but it would be nearly impossible to keep this development under wraps. Everyone's been waiting for the true video.

No, and I don't think we'll hear about 5G iPod orders being delayed, at least, not due to any imminent update. My point was that Apple's left itself plenty of room to add another member to its iPod family--perhaps even called officially the "iPod video" that it would sell alongside the 5G iPod.

In any case, should a widescreen iPod ever come to fruition, I don't see why Apple would have to get rid of the current design--some people, obviously, won't want the full-screen to get messy with fingerprints, and might still prefer the solid-state scroll wheel.
  • Reply 7 of 105
    Well it's the middle of September, so maybe another model/update by Christmas or First Quarter 2007?
  • Reply 8 of 105
    i think apple is holding back the release of the new ipod to steal press away from the zune launch. i think they're using a similar strategy with regards to leopard and vista. so i'd think, whenever the zune is going to be released, the truly next generation ipod would be released around that same time.
  • Reply 9 of 105
    i dont think we'll see the 6G ipod till 2007 BUT i do think we will see a 1G Video ipod before xmas.
  • Reply 10 of 105
    better be before december so they can say they beat microsoft...again. =)
  • Reply 11 of 105
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I doubt it, but the price drops do leave some room at the upper end...
  • Reply 12 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Dirk

No, and I don't think we'll hear about 5G iPod orders being delayed, at least, not due to any imminent update. My point was that Apple's left itself plenty of room to add another member to its iPod family--perhaps even called officially the "iPod video" that it would sell alongside the 5G iPod.

In any case, should a widescreen iPod ever come to fruition, I don't see why Apple would have to get rid of the current design--some people, obviously, won't want the full-screen to get messy with fingerprints, and might still prefer the solid-state scroll wheel.

That's very true. I've always thought of the true vid. replacing 5G, not selling alongside it. Interesting.
  • Reply 13 of 105
    Quote:

That's very true. I've always thought of the true vid. replacing 5G, not selling alongside it. Interesting.

i think with the recent updates to the ipod line it's pretty clear they're leaving room at the top. the new top model is still significantly cheaper than any of the other "new feature" top models at introduction. the 60 gig was $500 when it was introed wasn't it? i can't recall how much i paid for it. in any case, the 80Gb being $350 is a sure sign, to me, that there's a spot left at the top that hasn't been filled yet.
  • Reply 14 of 105
    I think you guys are crazy. Apple dropped the price of the iPod to make it more available to people this holiday season, not to introduce something else to take it's place.

I do think the 5.5G will be replaced but I think it will be at least six months to a year.

But where do you guys keep getting this idea that Apple even wants to release an iPod with a bigger screen? For all you know Steve Jobs might think it's an absolutely silly idea with the finger prints and low battery life from a bigger display and the lack of textile feel. I'm not saying that's the case. I just think someone photoshopped an image, put it on the internet and now all of you want one. But that doesn't mean Apple is going to make it.

And for the record I think the iPod is going to sell like mad this holiday with it's lower prices and new content abilities. Not to mention the new multicolored nanos will make a killing.
  • Reply 15 of 105
    Wow... that makes so much sense. There will be plenty of people out there that want an iPod for mostly music that would rather have just the 5G instead of the Video iPod. Also microsoft has got to be scared to death about a video ipod release around the time whne they release zune... i know i would be. I would love to see Apple release something, take all the sales from zune, and seriously hurt microsoft.

Oh btw....

WHY THE HELL DO THEY THINK THAT BROWN LOOKS GOOD?! youve got to be kidding me haha
  • Reply 16 of 105
    No offense ApplePI, but Apple would be done if you took steves position. There is no way Apple is just going to sit for a year and think that they will still have the advantage with the 5G iPod. They have never done that and they definitely wont with this competition (zune). Making a bigger screen for the iPod is the most logical thing to do and so saying that Jobs thinks that this is an absolutely silly idea is rediculous. Have you noticed how battery life has been a problem before, but what did they do? Create a better battery. It takes time and imagination, but if i remember correctly, Apple likes to "Think Different"
  • Reply 17 of 105
    I don't disagree with the idea that a bigger screen is coming eventually and personally I would love it, as I do a lot of video stuff with my current ipod. But I'm just playing devils advocated here. Steve may very well at this point in time think the idea is completely silly and not want to jump into a half assed full screen ipod. The technology may not be there and the competitors really aren't either, so what's the push?

We've already seen them file a patent for such a device and it includes a clickable screen and multiple functions. So I totally believe it's coming. But to think it's coming before the end of the year, well I think not. Apple could very well rest on it's newest offerings for the next year and stil control the market. And anyone who thinks otherwise obviously doesn't understand it's cultural impact.
  • Reply 18 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium

i think with the recent updates to the ipod line it's pretty clear they're leaving room at the top. the new top model is still significantly cheaper than any of the other "new feature" top models at introduction. the 60 gig was $500 when it was introed wasn't it? i can't recall how much i paid for it. in any case, the 80Gb being $350 is a sure sign, to me, that there's a spot left at the top that hasn't been filled yet.

There's still a decent chance that the price break was just to be even more competative with Zune. While I wouldn't go within 20 yards of the thing, I do admit it has some cool features I'd like to see in an iPod.
  • Reply 19 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi

I don't disagree with the idea that a bigger screen is coming eventually and personally I would love it, as I do a lot of video stuff with my current ipod. But I'm just playing devils advocated here. Steve may very well at this point in time think the idea is completely silly and not want to jump into a half assed full screen ipod. The technology may not be there and the competitors really aren't either, so what's the push?

We've already seen them file a patent for such a device and it includes a clickable screen and multiple functions. So I totally believe it's coming. But to think it's coming before the end of the year, well I think not. Apple could very well rest on it's newest offerings for the next year and stil control the market. And anyone who thinks otherwise obviously doesn't understand it's cultural impact.

While I don't ultimately think the Zune will have a large impact, Microsoft's a shrewd competitor--they showed that when Apple lost the OS wars to Windows' dominance. The reason Apple might go ahead to release the "true" video iPod would be to steal any and all of Microsoft's thunder, which would reassure investors (like me) who, while betting on the iPod's dominance, are all too aware that the hubris of thinking Apple's always got it in the bag will lead to complacency (and then decline). One thing that I've found interesting (and reassuring) in all the Zune hoop-la is that I've not read one article that remembers the Steve Jobs interview where he predicted Microsoft would compete directly with the iPod, well before rumors were solidified about such a device.

Mind you, upon reflection, while I think there's the possibility of a new introduction, I'm certainly not expecting one, per se. There seemed to me to be some finality (for the 2006 iPod lineup) with Apple's introductions on Tuesday, so maybe all of this is wishful thinking...
  • Reply 20 of 105
    well clearly the current lineup isn't the official "holiday" lineup. There will be something new before November...