I need some advice.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I currently have a powerbook g4 (1.6Ghz), I got an offer to sell it to a coworker to sell it for 650$

I really want one of the new intel macs, so I was thinking with the money I'd get for selling it I'd buy the 599 Mac Mini.

I should probably get more Ram, and such, but all I do at home is world of warcraft, and ilife crap. Do you think I should just stick with the powerbook? I wonder if i'd see any performance benefit from switching.

Anyways I just need all of your opinions I don't know if its a fair deal or not. I'd have to spend another 200 or so getting a gig of memory or so.

-C

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Well...I think the new Intel Processors are a gift from God, so no doubt Ill recommend them.

Although I wouldnt buy a Mac Mini if I were you..overall, its a decent machine, but it has intergrated graphics which are disgracefully crap.

I would atleast get a 2.0GHz iMac since it has a dedicated GPU.

Although that is personal opinion.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 132GHz,4TB DDR8 SDRAM,95TB HDD

Well...I think the new Intel Processors are a gift from God, so no doubt Ill recommend them.

Although I wouldnt buy a Mac Mini if I were you..overall, its a decent machine, but it has intergrated graphics which are disgracefully crap.

I would atleast get a 2.0GHz iMac since it has a dedicated GPU.

Although that is personal opinion.

im testing my account with this reply:

i love my macbookpro 15'. if your gonna have to deal with inegrated graphics, might as well be a laptop! if you dont want to spend the money, i was actually impressed with the macbooks. there quick!!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kraig911

I should probably get more Ram, and such, but all I do at home is world of warcraft, and ilife crap.

Based upon what you're using it for, go with the mini. My wife plays WoW on her macbook, which has the same integrated graphics chip, and it works quite well.

Of course, if you have money to burn, it's always nice to have something faster, but a mini should cover all your bases. (Be sure to drop at least 1G of ram in it though)
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Is it 15" or 17"? Either way, the offer of $650 is way too low. I sold a 17" 1.67 with 2GB for $2250 6 months ago. Prices haven't dropped 70% since then.

Check macprices.com to see what the going rate is. Even a 15" 1.67 should fetch $1500 used.