Microsoft unveils Zune digital media player (images)

Comments

• Reply 81 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

Available is ebony, ivory and turd!

Apple doesn't need to worry about Zune.

They need to worry about Zune 3.0

It'll take Microsoft a couple years and a couple hundred million monkeys on PCs to get it right.

But eventually they'll put those opposable thumbs to good use and make a decent player.

Oh man, that made me laugh!
  • Reply 82 of 205
    On the face of it, it looks like the Zune is going to eat the lunch of all the other non-iPod players, and that's about it.

What details are known about the software that drives this thing? How does their online music store work? Will any of the music bought or rented online from Napster or WalMart or whoever play on this thing? Software and integration are the real keys to Apple's success with the iPod, and WMP hasn't been able to come close. I'm curious to see if Microsoft has actually been able to make any progress on this front.

If it's brown, flush it down.
  • Reply 83 of 205
    Honestly i like it, its decent and slick even for microsoft. its no iPod killer but it can hold its own. I can see myself getting as i am bored of the iPod anyways.
  • Reply 84 of 205
    How ironic. Microsoft is actually releasing a product that looks like a piece of crap.
  • Reply 85 of 205
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder

Has any major corporation EVER done anything like that? Doing that would just give them a bad reputation, when they shipped the real one people would say, isn't that the brown piece of crap thing?

ahem.. *cough, cough* Sarcasm! *cough, cough*
  • Reply 86 of 205
    Oh look, I just made a poo joke!

How old are you people?
  • Reply 87 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh

I think Apple and MS are playing tag at the moment. After viewing the Keynote, I had the impression that Steve was leaving something out, like something was substituted at the last moment. Almost like they were waiting on MS to announce Zune, then pop out the Apple vPod

MS waited until after Apple's keynote to announce Zune, but unexpectedly they did not give a release date. The ball is back in Apple's court.

Who's going to be the first to announce Apple or Microsoft?

I agree with this. Something was definitely SUBDUED...like they were waiting for something. The iTV was okay, the 80GB wasn't that bad and the new nanos will definitely sell well this holiday season, but something was dramatically missing.
  • Reply 88 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh

Zune TV Ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgSEXKff04E

That is utter garbage. Man, Microsoft just tries so hard with everything and just keeps getting it all wrong. I mean, that ad is total nonsense compared to the new iPod nano ad. Bloody hell.
  • Reply 89 of 205
    I don't know if this is some guerilla marketing campaign, but WTF or WhoTF is the "RiverCaster"???!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__yrj...elated&search=
  • Reply 90 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

I don't know if this is some guerilla marketing campaign, but WTF???!!!!!!111on1e!!!!

haha lmao, the last thing anyone wants to see is a video of that guy on the beach.
  • Reply 91 of 205
    Don't underestimate M$ (XBOX Vs. PS) just because they are late to enter a market. I personally believe Apple will retain it's lead in this segment. It is good for the consumer to have competition in the marketplace.
  • Reply 92 of 205
    Quote:

I don't know if this is some guerilla marketing campaign, but WTF or WhoTF is the "RiverCaster"???!!!

Yeah, let's all listen to "Ira".
  • Reply 93 of 205
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco

How old are you people?

We've been discussing that lately.
  • Reply 94 of 205
    Quote:

That is utter garbage. Man, Microsoft just tries so hard with everything and just keeps getting it all wrong. I mean, that ad is total nonsense compared to the new iPod nano ad. Bloody hell.

But do we really know if this is from MS, and not some prankster?
  • Reply 95 of 205
    Quote:

Are we supposed to know this guy? I've never heard of him.
  • Reply 96 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco

How old are you people?

Pick's self up off the floor, dust's self off, ROTFLMAO after reading your post!

But to answer your question, physically 52, mentally #2!

People, keep on shoveling browNi effluent!

• Reply 97 of 205
    The second Zune video is just plain stupid.

Here's a link to both apparent Zune TV commercials. Good Lord the bunny one is just stupid, although if you wait a few minutes the two videos interact. The stick man walks over to the little flaming birdy, ect...

https://www.comingzune.com/

edit: The original Zune in use videos were taken down. The "Zune in use" video is in this forum, remastered with "You can't touch this", yuck:

http://zuneboards.com/showthread.php?tid=203
  • Reply 98 of 205
    I think this will mostly appeal to the people who refuse to buy an iPod for whatever reason. Which means that all Microsoft are doing is eating away at the market share of their "partners". If I was Creative, Sandisk or any of those other media player companies, I would not be happy about the Zune at all.
  • Reply 99 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zedrac

I think this will mostly appeal to the people who refuse to buy an iPod for whatever reason. Which means that all Microsoft are doing is eating away at the market share of their "partners". If I was Creative, Sandisk or any of those other media player companies, I would not be happy about the Zune at all.

I'm sure they've been seething for a while now. And now that it's been made public that Zune won't play "Plays for Sure", the fuming has gotten worse from those committed to selling them, and from those making compatible players.
  • Reply 100 of 205
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton

I think that zune's display is still 4x3. It's just a little bigger than the iPod's.

It seems so. I could've sworn it looked widescreen but even measuring the screen dimensions, it's 4:3.

In that case, I don't think a widescreen portable device will be possible unless it's the full length of the machine with virtual buttons. Otherwise it would be too narrow.

I still like the bigger display though. It makes the machine narrower so its easier to hold and having the higher resolution vertical is better for lists. Since it's the same resolution as the ipod, that's the only thing in its favour IMO. Here's the two side by side.

The only trouble is that I don't think Apple will ever do that now because people will just say they copied Microsoft. The only way to get ahead I think would be to do an ipod with a touch display and a resolution of maybe 425x240 to get widescreen.