iMac screens for photo editing

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am very seriously considering the new iMac 24" for homephoto and movie editing. There are of course no reviews of the iMac out yet, but I read a few reviews of the 23" ACD on Cnet that thought it had a few issues with colors like greys having a pinkish cast. Do you think the screen on the 24" will be accurate enough color-wise for photo editing? Can it be calibrated to fix any issues?

Thanks!
Salita

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I was at an Apple Store last night for a good hour playing with the new iMacs for about the same reasons you mentioned. I'm involved in all sorts of graphic design and desktop publishing for work and personal use, and the iMacs definitely seemed more than suitable for my needs. I plan on purchasing a 20" either today or sometime this week.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Anyone else have an opinion of the new iMac screens? Thanks for the reply Mace27. Did you pick up your new iMac, and if so, what do you yhink so far?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I got my 24" iMac yesterday and spent the evening getting it set up (software, transferring files, etc). The screen is just outstanding (as is the whole machine). I do a lot of photography and photo editing via Photoshop. I think the machine is unbelievably great - especially for that purpose. In all honesty, I don't see how you could go wrong with the new 24" model.

I brought the iMac into my office today to finish some configuration work (VPN, etc). Everyone that has seen the machine has gushed over how amazing it is - especially the huge screen. I'm about to show it to our Art Department to see what they think - they're all Mac users as well.

--DotComcTO
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I have a slightly older 20" iMac (Mactel) at work that does tons of video production and lots of graphics / photo layout very, very well. Can only imagine the newer one is better.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Anyone else have an opinion of the new iMac screens? Thanks for the reply Mace27. Did you pick up your new iMac, and if so, what do you yhink so far?

Actually, my girlfriend and I are going tomorrow. When I was there, they explained that I was eligible for the education discount if I brought her in (she's a grad student). So I figured I could wait a few days to save a few hundred bucks.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    I read in the Apple support forums that the LCD of the 24" model has slightly darker corners than the rest of the display, even when the bightness is all the way up. Anyone noticed that?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Thanks so far for the input. Yes, when I saw the 20" a couple weeks at the Apple Store I gushed too, and can imagine the 24" will be a geyser! However, once all the initial "OOOh, Ahhh" is over, do colors seem fairly accurate and does the iMac have display controls so that the monitor be calibtated with something like this?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB

I read in the Apple support forums that the LCD of the 24" model has slightly darker corners than the rest of the display, even when the bightness is all the way up. Anyone noticed that?

Yes, but I see the same thing on the 20" iMac as well as the 20" Cinema Displays we have in the office. It's not that noticeable, and it's certainly not too big of a deal to me.

--DotComCTO
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quick follow-up:

1. The screen has some very, very slight dimming in the corners, but it's really not noticible. Frankly, the corners are out of your view on a 24" monitor if you're sitting at a normal distance from the screen. You'd only see the corners peripherally. In any case, the dimming is no worse than any other Apple display I've seen.

2. The folks in the Art Department at work really liked the machine quite a lot! Lots of oooh and ahhs from that team. I'd say that's a winner.

--DotComCTO