Clunky-looking Microsoft Zune player revealed in filing

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91
    If this is the basic form factor of the Zune, MS could just forget about it.

In my opinion, the key to success for personal device like MP3 player is user interface. How a user interact with the product, how easy to use, and how much fun it is to play with it. And these are not MS's strength.

Over the years, MS's "design" never able to capture the essence of interface, be it software, or hardware.

That's why, so many company failed in this digital music player business after the launch of iPod. iPod is new and become standard overnight. Apple not only set the bar so high that it's so hard to catch up, but they invent a user experience and habit that didn't exist before. With that, any attempt to do anything less still fail.

And then, when we look at the features of the Zune suppose to provide, without a great design in user interface, it's just become impossible to use, or too complicated to use. Since MS choose to follow the iPod fashion, fewer buttons and scroll wheel in the middle for navigation (I suppose), they might caught into a very hard to use product. I don't even need to talk about aesthetic of the device. DOA.
  • Reply 82 of 91
    Many people are seduced by the sharing over Wifi feature? I am non plus about it. Think of it : how many times a week, you iPod user do you cross someone with the same iPod than you (let's say 5G), who you know enough to share music with, who have the same tastes in music and is willing to let you dicsover a great tune and with enough time at hand for both of you to let you dl his song ? Now, we are talking about a player representing maybe 15 millions units, loved by trend-setters an fashionistas. the same scenario with a MS Zune, seems, errh, doubtful?

There is still the sync over wifi? but since you need to refuel the battery on a regular basis, I think syncing at the same time through a USB cable should be enough. What use of the Wifi, then ?

Now, we have a Zune with wifi capabilities and a bigger screen (but still 320x240) while formers iPods 5 G 30 GB had hard times to go up to 1h40 of video playback despite their 2h official spec? The new iPod 30 GB sure enough would go up to 3h of playback with its official 3.5 hour but I am not sure the Zune is able to do better than iPod 5G with a screen twice as big as the iPod's one. And we don't speak about battery drain due to WiFi? So I am not sure the Zune is able to playback a full movie? unless crappy luminosity et al. Nice, isn't it ?

So, ok the Zune has FM? f*cking great for an iPod killer !
  • Reply 83 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stephane

Many people are seduced by the sharing over Wifi feature? I am non plus about it. Think of it : how many times a week, you iPod user do you cross someone with the same iPod than you (let's say 5G), who you know enough to share music with, who have the same tastes in music and is willing to let you dicsover a great tune and with enough time at hand for both of you to let you dl his song ? Now, we are talking about a player representing maybe 15 millions units, loved by trend-setters an fashionistas. the same scenario with a MS Zune, seems, errh, doubtful?

Not to mention the limits...you can't share all songs, who knows how many will allow it, you can't re-share a song, only play it three times. Plus it will only be cool if they sell enough to really catch on. The first guy on the block to get one will be pretty lonely...do you want to take the risk that you'll get this cool "sharing" box, but then nobody else gets one and you're screwed?
  • Reply 84 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder

Not to mention the limits...you can't share all songs, who knows how many will allow it, you can't re-share a song, only play it three times. Plus it will only be cool if they sell enough to really catch on. The first guy on the block to get one will be pretty lonely...do you want to take the risk that you'll get this cool "sharing" box, but then nobody else gets one and you're screwed?

This is going to be so funny!!

I think sharing songs like that with people who think like you and want to be known to have good taste in music and with whom you spend a significant amount of time is going to be a real killer functionality ... but then they will graduate from middle school at some point.

Since design and quality of experience will not be able to approach the iPod for a while (and unfortunately MS can afford losses for a long time), they are going to really beat the "community" drum. But MS marketing a cool, music community of listeners with artists, is like the current administration touting its ability to create regime change.

This will be an aspect of the Zune Phenom! that makes the headlines and all, but the first time you actually run across someone with the thing, probably a family member or close friend who already knows your music (and is probably kind enough to not tell you they don't want any), and you send her or him a copy and your battery goes out half-way ... that will not make you want to do that too often.

Thanks Stephane about bringing up the screen res. I didn't know that. So if the resolution is the same and the direction is vertical, does that mean album art (because of the wasted space on the bottom of the screen) will be less clear?
  • Reply 85 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor

This is going to be so funny!!

I think sharing songs like that with people who think like you and want to be known to have good taste in music and with whom you spend a significant amount of time is going to be a real killer functionality ... but then they will graduate from middle school at some point.

Or worse! Do you really want your friends to know that you mostly listen to show tunes and Britney???
  • Reply 86 of 91
    Oh I answered my own question on the screen view ... it will be the same because the Zune can be viewed in landscape.
  • Reply 87 of 91
    The great site for convert dvd to your zune player

Mod edit: Spambgone!

hope it is useful to u!
  • Reply 88 of 91
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xzune

The great site for convert dvd to your zune player

Mod Edit: Quotebgone!

hope it is useful to u!

Yeah, it'll be useful to all 7 people who will actually own Zunes 6 months from now...
  • Reply 89 of 91
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    I've reported it as spam.
  • Reply 90 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stephane

Many people are seduced by the sharing over Wifi feature? I am non plus about it. Think of it : how many times a week, you iPod user do you cross someone with the same iPod than you (let's say 5G), who you know enough to share music with, who have the same tastes in music and is willing to let you dicsover a great tune and with enough time at hand for both of you to let you dl his song ?

You're describing the habits of younger people, say, kids about 8-16 years.

Kids love to show their new discovery and share for that matter.

Some kids have plenty money and plenty time to hang around.

Though, time will tell if the all new Zune is appealing enough for

that particular audience. I highly doubt it. The cool kids NEED the iPod,

all others want the cheapo. Zune is neither both.

Quote:

So, ok the Zune has FM? f*cking great for an iPod killer !

Yeah FM is THE killer app.
  • Reply 91 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi

I've reported it as spam.

Good boy.