Recommendations for a colour laser printer

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'd like to get a full-duplex colour laser printer around the $500 - $600 mark. Decent Intel-Mac drivers are a must. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    well, it seems that in the U.K., there's a bit of a price gap right around the $500 - $600 mark (works out as about £325 - £392 after you add sales tax), since I didn't want to go above that, I was looking at the Konica Minolta 2430DL with optional duplex unit (total £341 inc. VAT) and the Samsung CLP-510N, which includes a duplexer (£254).

But then I found out that Lexmark have a £150 rebate offer on their C522N, which I can get for £338 (£188 after rebate). Not only is this significantly cheaper, but it's much faster at printing colour, has more RAM, is cheaper to run, and has received very good reviews. So I guess it's a bit of a no-brainer?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

well, it seems that in the U.K., there's a bit of a price gap right around the $500 - $600 mark (works out as about £325 - £392 after you add sales tax), since I didn't want to go above that, I was looking at the Konica Minolta 2430DL with optional duplex unit (total £341 inc. VAT) and the Samsung CLP-510N, which includes a duplexer (£254).

But then I found out that Lexmark have a £150 rebate offer on their C522N, which I can get for £338 (£188 after rebate). Not only is this significantly cheaper, but it's much faster at printing colour, has more RAM, is cheaper to run, and has received very good reviews. So I guess it's a bit of a no-brainer?

I had a konika minolta color laser printer that I just got rid of. Can't remember model number unfortunately. Anyway it was nothing but problems. Finally broke down(again) and got an HP 3600n. It was cheaper to get the HP than repair the minolta! I've had best success with HP printers. That's all we get now for the office. I've an 9 year old HP laser jet 5 that is a tank and despite a steady work load never breaks. I've not had the new color laser jet long enough to endorse it, but hope that it performs like my other HPs.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

I'd like to get a full-duplex colour laser printer around the $500 - $600 mark. Decent Intel-Mac drivers are a must. Does anyone have any recommendations?

MacFormat (UK) September 2006 has a round up of 8 sub-£350 Colour Laser Printers which you may find on the shelves still.

The Lexmark C522n came top (no duplex) with the duplex supporting HP LaserJet 2605dn coming second. HP offer a universal binary driver download on their website. So on the surface would appear to met your needs.

I have a Samsung CLP500 which was very cheap considering it's two years old and has duplex (£250 in early 2005) - but the quality isn't great but adequate for my needs and the driver leaves a lot to be desired although the Toner lasts 7,000 sheets - which for my first laser printer after many years of inkjet - I'm very happy with.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes

The Lexmark C522n came top (no duplex)

According to the Lexmark C522N user manual which I downloaded from their site, and this review the 522N does do duplex printing. Thanks for the heads-up on the HP & MacFormat review.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Look at the reviews here: http://www.printershowcase.com/

The Ricoh models are actually the best, as far as I know. But the CL3500DN is $750. If you can spring for that, the output is tremendous, it has full-out Postscript, and the consumables are cheaper than average. I bought a Ricoh CL2000 for my company a while back, and it has not disappointed, however we ended up greatly exceeding the recommended monthly outputs and now we're in the market for something a little more serious.

So, I phoned Xerox and they sent me a bundle of print samples. For the record, the Phaser 7760 and 8550 are AWESOME.