iDVD 6 and OneStep DVD error

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
there's been a couple of occassions that i get an error while it's burning. what i HATE is that this error occurs after it encodes the video/audio and tries to burn so it wastes all that time. the videos i'm trying to burn are not retail, just home videos. here's what i do:

- vhs -> dvd using standalone dvd recorder

- rip the dvd with mpeg streamclip to dv

- import dv to iMovie and do some edit and add chapter markers

- open up iDVD and use the OneStep DVD

is it possible to do the encoding portion and save it as an iso file or whatever so that i can burn it at a later time? when the error occurs, i have to do the iDVD step all over again. encoding takes a long time, almost real-time

any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    idvd has an option to save as disc image in the file menu. You then burn that image using say Disk Utility.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    thanks marvin but i don't want to use any of the templates that iDVD has. i just want to burn directly from iMovie as is. no menus, no templates, nothing. i just want to have the movie with the chapter markers. is there a way i can use iDVD w/o using the templates? this is why i use the OneStep DVD option.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by w1n78

thanks marvin but i don't want to use any of the templates that iDVD has. i just want to burn directly from iMovie as is. no menus, no templates, nothing. i just want to have the movie with the chapter markers. is there a way i can use iDVD w/o using the templates? this is why i use the OneStep DVD option.

Yeah, it seems you can't delete the menu. DVD Studio Pro lets you do that so content plays straight away. I notice there is a box that says to play content automatically if you go into the map section in idvd. Can you drag your video onto that area? I've a feeling it might jump to the menu when it finishes though but you could always have a black screen or something.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    i switched back to the pioneer dvdrw that came with the G5 and it seemed to have solved the problem. so far no more errors during conversion. i wish there was just an option in iMovie that will convert the iMovie file to maybe an ISO file ready for burning, then burn at a later time. that will reduce time, for me anyway. coz every time i used to get that error, the whole process starts over. also when i did get the errors, i re-do the process and still use the same blank dvd and it works the second time. just weird, anyway the OEM dvdrw is doint it's job, too bad it writes at 4x. guess i gotta learn to be more patient