Safari Tabs Question

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is there a way to get Safari to open links that cause new windows to open tabs instead? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Maybe in Leopard, I can't say for sure though.

FireFox 2 has this feature though, capturing all popups and opening them as tabs instead.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xool

Maybe in Leopard, I can't say for sure though.

FireFox 2 has this feature though, capturing all popups and opening them as tabs instead.

Oh, so I'm not just overlooking something, it's not actually possible? Oh well.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdcfsu

Is there a way to get Safari to open links that cause new windows to open tabs instead? Thanks.

I just right click every link and go to "open link in a new tab", unless I happen to want a new window of course. It's like second nature now. But I can still see what you are saying.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nathan22t

I just right click every link and go to "open link in a new tab", unless I happen to want a new window of course. It's like second nature now. But I can still see what you are saying.

You can also Command-click a link to open it in a tab. What you can't do is automatically have all popups, including those triggered by random JavaScript events, to open in a tab rather than a popup window.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    its possible, but only by installing saft. Google saft and safari and you'll find it. It adds a lot of fuctionality to safari, and lets you change the skin from the brushed metal. With saft installed, safari is the best browser out there on any platform imho. You could also check out shiira but it is still in beta - very nice browser though.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Ditto Saft. I wouldn't use Safari without it.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    First you have to enable tabbed browsing in the prefs.

Then if you are smart enough to use a 3-button or more mouse, middle-click will open links in a new tab. Command-click is the equivalent of middle-click.