iTunes 7 & large library - slow loading

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
After upgrading to iTunes 7 it takes for ever to launch iTunes and now I get a progress bar that says loading iTunes Library that I didn't get under iTunes 6, I have about 30,000 songs in my library so I imagine it is only a issue with large libraries doe any one else have this issue?...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Yes. For some reason itunes 7 is way slower to launch than itunes 6. I'm not very impressed. I've noticed the visualiser is running at a very low framerate compared with the previous version as well.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Odd. iTunes 7 launches just as quickly for me as 6 did. Archstudent: do you have the framerate of the Visualizer locked? Try unchecking that. Mine runs at 31+ FPS constantly.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    In my mini, the app is about 2x faster
  • Reply 4 of 10
    itunes 6 ran the visualiser on my g4 mac mini at an average of about 60 fps. itunes 7 is managing about 7 fps. Thats not a typo - *seven* fps. Interestingly, when I turn off openGL accerelation the FPS increases to about 18
  • Reply 5 of 10
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archstudent

itunes 6 ran the visualiser on my g4 mac mini at an average of about 60 fps. itunes 7 is managing about 7 fps. Thats not a typo - *seven* fps. Interestingly, when I turn off openGL accerelation the FPS increases to about 18

I guess you're on a mac, try this - when the visualizer is running pull down one of the application menu's, on windows this kills the visualizer to about 0.5 frames per second.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    it runs at about 20 fps in regular mode, which is what I would expect. Its only in fullscreen mode that it runs slow. itunes 6 ran about the same in windowed mode but managed about 3x better framerate in fullscreen mode. In itunes 7 fullscreen mode is basically broken for me.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Weird.

I have around 7500 songs in my lib.

iTunes 7 is WAY faster than the previous version was for me.

Starting up is faster, even the visualiser is a lot faster...!
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple2Mac

I have about 30,000 songs in my library

how do you have 30,000 songs!?!?!?!?!?! i only have 1500.....
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by playcrackthesky

how do you have 30,000 songs!?!?!?!?!?! i only have 1500.....

I've got allot of CD's I don't even keep all my music in the main library I have another 200GB of classical, orchestra, big-band etc on a different HD that I don't listen to much more. The 30,000 songs is about 160GB.

I'm on a 2.5Ghz G5 with 6GB RAM and the main boot drive with all the iTunes music is a RAID 0 so performance should not be a problem. iTunes 7 is faster after it boots-up, it just takes much longer to boot up...

I think but I'm not sure it is because of iTunes artwork, I never had artwork for all my music before the slow load could be it paring the album art to the songs as apparently the artwork is stored separately from the MP4s
  • Reply 10 of 10
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 240member
    I only have 16,000 songs in my library and it takes about 20-30 seconds to open iTunes. I get the message "Loading Library" and never got it before in iTunes 6.

The built-in Cover Flow is nice, but I don't like the sluggish performance.