iChat ever getting MSN network capabilities?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I know it sounds crazy, but where I live everyone uses MSN, and its irritating to use the out-dated microsoft messenger for mac (especially on the intel machinet too). I'm using adium now, but the ideal case would be for ichat to have msn capabilites. Will this ever happen? Or does anyone know of a plugin that allows it to work with MSN?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Word is that the Leopard version of iChat will have this feature, but I love Adium and it's totally customizable interface. But I can see if you want video capabilities.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If the iPhone is as popular as the iPod, and iChat supports iPhone integration life would be great!! And the ability to call regular phones, for me personally Skype would be no more.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    so leopord's ichat might have MSN support? amazing if it does! (and yes one major reason is the video chat capabilities)
  • Reply 4 of 22
    tokentoken Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blascock

Or does anyone know of a plugin that allows it to work with MSN?

Actually there is already support for msn in the current iChat through the jabber service. Its a bit complicated to setup, not as functional (no video, no file transfer, no games, etc...). Follow directions on this page.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blascock

I know it sounds crazy, but where I live everyone uses MSN, and its irritating to use the out-dated microsoft messenger for mac (especially on the intel machinet too). I'm using adium now, but the ideal case would be for ichat to have msn capabilites. Will this ever happen? Or does anyone know of a plugin that allows it to work with MSN?

I hope leopard gets this, if it does I will be a happy man.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Not to be a downer, I wouldn't hold your breath.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbird_1.0

Not to be a downer, I wouldn't hold your breath.

it'd be another thing apple can put on there 'get a mac' site
  • Reply 8 of 22
    its really the only thing missing from the PC. since my swtiching over to the mac the real version of msn is the only ting ive missed. but ive been using adium and am starting to like it more actually, but still no video chat. whats the point of having an isight
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

It'd be another thing Apple can put on their 'Get a Mac' site.

Agreed. 8)
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Microsoft or the MacBu to be more precise will be releasing a new version of MSN messenger this holiday season but I don't know exactly when.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darth_Apple

Microsoft or the MacBu to be more precise will be releasing a new version of MSN messenger this holiday season but I don't know exactly when.

No doubt it will, once again, lag behind the Windows version by a couple of years worth of features.

Give me freakin' video on Messenger. Now.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution

No doubt it will, once again, lag behind the Windows version by a couple of years worth of features.

Give me freakin' video on Messenger. Now.

yeah, at macworld in jan that woman said there were going to be universal applications, such as messenger, 'very soon'. hmmm, 7 month later, how soon is soon? but then i think of how vista was going to be out 'soon'. so you rekon they use 'soon' at M$ instead of 'in the very distant future' as it is easier to say?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Leopard will bring MSN capabilities to iChat, fact!
  • Reply 14 of 22
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Ireland has a lot of wishful thinking going on in his mind, fact!
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Ireland has a lot of wishful thinking going on in his mind, fact!

True, fact!
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

True, fact!

• Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

what have you based this on? im intreged...
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

what have you based this on? im intreged...

Intrigued? Instinct. iChat will be the most important app in Laopard (for Apple). Even though iChat was demoed at WWDC, it's still one of the Top Secret features, because. iChat will not only get MSN capabilities etc. but far more importantly it will become a full working Voip platform. With it you will be able to buy credit, and call regular phones. It may be free in the States to compete with Skype. Obviously iChat to iChat will be free, as it is now. But the most important features in iChat 4, if you have .Mac, you will be able to call iPhone to iPhone for free anywhere in the world using iChat. When your computer is on, you type a 4 digit passcode into your iPhone, and iChat will launch automatically, allowing you complete control over your iChat app through iPhone input alone. You will be able to find your friend in your iPhone address book, and press call. And your iPhone will use the power of iChat to call your frineds iPhone, he/she can be anywhere in the world (bar places like the top of Mount Everest) and it will work, for free.

It just works.

/by the way this is just my opinion, and someone has to put do the predicting round here. We'll never know for sure, so we have to use what we've got.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Intrigued? Instinct. iChat will be the most important app in Laopard (for Apple). Even though iChat was demoed at WWDC, it's still one of the Top Secret features, because. iChat will not only get MSN capabilities etc. but far more importantly it will become a full working Voip platform. With it you will be able to buy credit, and call regular phones. It may be free in the States to compete with Skype. Obviously iChat to iChat will be free, as it is now. But the most important features in iChat 4, if you have .Mac, you will be able to call iPhone to iPhone for free anywhere in the world using iChat. When your computer is on, you type a 4 digit passcode into your iPhone, and iChat will launch automatically, allowing you complete control over your iChat app through iPhone input alone. You will be able to find your friend in your iPhone address book, and press call. And your iPhone will use the power of iChat to call your frineds iPhone, he/she can be anywhere in the world (bar places like the top of Mount Everest) and it will work, for free.

so basically ichat 4 is going to be ichat3+voip+cross platform IM and video (maybe conferensing)+skype+the stuff we've seen in the leopard preview. im loving the sound of that!!

btw, the iphone thing. do you mean it could be used like a usb plug phone in skype, but wireless and you can call mates and people from your address on the phone contact list over the internet?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    then release it all on windows. now THAT would be truely amazing.