New iPod in October

Comments

• Reply 21 of 105
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    a bigger screen is only cool when it has a higher res than the screen it supposedly trumps.
  • Reply 22 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdnc101

There's still a decent chance that the price break was just to be even more competative with Zune. While I wouldn't go within 20 yards of the thing, I do admit it has some cool features I'd like to see in an iPod.

sure, that's a good reason as well. i usually don't believe the patent filings to be evidence that apple is actually going to sell a product rather than just research it. but the patents regarding the small form factor video/phone/music all-in-one device are just too numerous and consistent to be just random folly. i think jobs & team are thinking ahead and they're being strategic. even the tiger unofficial ship date seemed to slip alongside the vista ship date's delay. i think apple is setting up for a big-impact strike against microsoft's marketshare.

no inside knowledge, it just seems that so many things are falling into place and they seem so purposeful. ipods. ipods for windows. switching to intels. virtualization/dual-booting. iwork. video streaming device. they're all forming a bigger picture. also, apple is being much more aggressive against microsoft in marketing materials than we've seen in the past. just seems like they're walking with swagger and a gameplan.
  • Reply 23 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi

But where do you guys keep getting this idea that Apple even wants to release an iPod with a bigger screen? For all you know Steve Jobs might think it's an absolutely silly idea with the finger prints and low battery life from a bigger display and the lack of textile feel. I'm not saying that's the case. I just think someone photoshopped an image, put it on the internet and now all of you want one. But that doesn't mean Apple is going to make it.

Part of it comes from patents apple has filed. The photoshops that have showed up online are just fancy versions of the pictures apple put in those patents. Of course, that still doesn't mean we'll see it soon, although I'd be surprised if it didn't come along eventually.

Battery life is a major issue, I'd bet that's one of the biggest things holding it up. I don't think fingerprints will be that big an issue, especially if they create a no-touch interface.

I don't think apple can ignore the zune. But I also don't think they need to have a "zune killer" before christmas. If MS is announcing it now, the release will probably be on the late side, and it may be buggy, get bad reviews, have lame advertising, not ship in any real quantities. iPod has solid positioning, MS isn't going to bump it off in a couple months. Nothing wrong with Apple taking their time, getting the video ipod exactly right, and shipping it at the same time as the iTV in the late winter or spring.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuencap

well clearly the current lineup isn't the official "holiday" lineup. There will be something new before November...

Why not? Obviously, the nano and shuffle are set for months if not a year. I don't see what's wrong with the iPod, especially compared with other comparable units.
  • Reply 24 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder

Part of it comes from patents apple has filed. The photoshops that have showed up online are just fancy versions of the pictures apple put in those patents. Of course, that still doesn't mean we'll see it soon, although I'd be surprised if it didn't come along eventually.

Battery life is a major issue, I'd bet that's one of the biggest things holding it up. I don't think fingerprints will be that big an issue, especially if they create a no-touch interface.

I don't think apple can ignore the zune. But I also don't think they need to have a "zune killer" before christmas. If MS is announcing it now, the release will probably be on the late side, and it may be buggy, get bad reviews, have lame advertising, not ship in any real quantities. iPod has solid positioning, MS isn't going to bump it off in a couple months. Nothing wrong with Apple taking their time, getting the video ipod exactly right, and shipping it at the same time as the iTV in the late winter or spring.

Why not? Obviously, the nano and shuffle are set for months if not a year. I don't see what's wrong with the iPod, especially compared with other comparable units.

I believe Apple will launch a wider-screen iPod at the end of October/beginning of November just to counter Zune. The current upgrades are definitely not a new iPod and they are accompanied by price cuts. That's to keep momentum until they launch the video iPod and make it more acceptable for those who will buy the upgrades until then.

Microsoft plays clueless for now (I'm quoting from an interview with a MS marketing executive Chris Stephensen here):

"Harvey: It's interesting that Apple split the differences with their two updated iPods...

Chris: Yeah, it's interesting that they decided to reduce the price of the 30GB. It's come down $50. That's obviously a huge financial hitch. I'm not sure what they think we're doing. It's certainly an interesting thing to do - to reduce the price of a good-selling product like that - that was selling well at $299. We'll take it as it is. It's an interesting move on their part, and it's an interesting opportunity in the market place.

Harvey: Sorry, release dates for the first Zune player and the service?

Chris: We haven't released the specific date right now. It is Holiday '06. So we'll be coming to market on Holiday '06. We're working around a few different dates. There's a huge amount of stuff going on around the holiday period, so I don't think it'll be a surprise to anyone to say it's November. But we haven't announced that, and we're waiting to get the right day, and just see everything else that's going on in the market at the moment."

I think Zune is not to be ruled out totally...The wi-fi feature is promising and can open up many possibilities. Look at what MS has done with the XBox vs. PS (the established player in the field).

It's my firm belief that Apple would not stay the whole season without a V.Ipod and with Zune coming out with a wider screen.
  • Reply 25 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariuscosmos

It's my firm belief that Apple would not stay the whole season without a V.Ipod and with Zune coming out with a wider screen.

i agree on apple's timing. however i'd like to say that the zune's screen is only marginally wider and the same resolution. so i don't see that it's bringing too much new to the table. if this is their best shot, then apple is probably licking their chops with the ipod they've got behind the curtain.
  • Reply 26 of 105
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I believe Apple will have a consumer based event before Christmas.
  • Reply 27 of 105
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Well, I get that MS has boatloads of cash to advertise Zune and all, but still: other MP3 players have had "bigger screens" for quite a while now, and it doesn't appear to be a feature that people are particularly inclined to dump the iPod for, does it?

I mean, it's not like anyone is likely to say "holy shit, slightly bigger screen, I am totally getting a Zune!" so that Apple had better "do something" to counter.
  • Reply 28 of 105
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    There is an iPod - iTunes forum where all these threads should be moved, and all moved into one single thread. There are way to many threads about the same topic in here.
  • Reply 29 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox

Well, I get that MS has boatloads of cash to advertise Zune and all, but still: other MP3 players have had "bigger screens" for quite a while now, and it doesn't appear to be a feature that people are particularly inclined to dump the iPod for, does it?

I mean, it's not like anyone is likely to say "holy shit, slightly bigger screen, I am totally getting a Zune!" so that Apple had better "do something" to counter.

No, indeed, Apple doesn't need to counter the Zune's slightly bigger screen. They need to counter other features: wi-fi, connectivity and a music-by-subscription model.

The bigger screen will be for the movies from iTunes7.

Plus, they need to steal the show from MS.
  • Reply 30 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

There is an iPod - iTunes forum where all these threads should be moved, and all moved into one single thread. There are way to many threads about the same topic in here.

I was inclined to say you're right onlooker. But then we're talking future hardware, aren't we? It's about a true next generation iPod.

Apple has it already, I'm pretty sure. They just wait for the best tactical moment to release it. And it may well be in 6 months or just in November. The current upgrades really don't count.
  • Reply 31 of 105
    no no no wifi...its a battery suckerr! id actually like an ipod that looks like the zune a larger sideways screen with a small scroll wheel. i really dont like the idea of a screen covering the whole front of the ipod.
  • Reply 32 of 105
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Do we know the zune has a bigger screen? My understanding is that it's the same resolution but with a vertical orientation.
  • Reply 33 of 105
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariuscosmos

No, indeed, Apple doesn't need to counter the Zune's slightly bigger screen. They need to counter other features: wi-fi, connectivity and a music-by-subscription model.

The bigger screen will be for the movies from iTunes7.

Plus, they need to steal the show from MS.

WiFi / connectivity, maybe. Subscription music? Judging by statistics, people couldn't care less about that model.
  • Reply 34 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

WiFi / connectivity, maybe. Subscription music? Judging by statistics, people couldn't care less about that model.

Not yet. But MS could do it. And apple will do it too, just wait and see.

It's not always about statistics, it's also about projections. Apparently, content providers don't get too much profit out of iTunes. I find this article to be interesting: "The iPod's Achilles Heel? It's er... Reader's Digest"

I've been using all possible models in parallel: legal download from iTunes, subscription from rhapsody, napster etc. Believe me, the most satisfying and simple to use is subscription. You get all the music you want, when you want it. My library outnumbers any iPod's/iTunes combination. (heck, you'd have to be a millionaire to spent 5 grants to buy 5000 tunes). And I can load almost wherever I want and take it with me just like on the iPod.

Maybe next year Apple will have it's subscription service too. I hope for it, then I will be a full Mac convert...
  • Reply 35 of 105
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It would be an interesting experiment to see Apple offer a subscription service and see how many takers they get. As Chucker says, based on current evidence, not many people would bite. Personally, the last thing in the world I want is yet another monthly fee. But I suppose some people would like it.

But I have to ask, mariuscosmos, what does Apple having a subscription service for iPod/iTunes have to do with converting to Mac?
  • Reply 36 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi

I think you guys are crazy. Apple dropped the price of the iPod to make it more available to people this holiday season, not to introduce something else to take it's place.

I do think the 5.5G will be replaced but I think it will be at least six months to a year.

But where do you guys keep getting this idea that Apple even wants to release an iPod with a bigger screen? For all you know Steve Jobs might think it's an absolutely silly idea with the finger prints and low battery life from a bigger display and the lack of textile feel. I'm not saying that's the case. I just think someone photoshopped an image, put it on the internet and now all of you want one. But that doesn't mean Apple is going to make it.

And for the record I think the iPod is going to sell like mad this holiday with it's lower prices and new content abilities. Not to mention the new multicolored nanos will make a killing.

Apple is selling 640x 480 movies to show on a 320x240 screen(?) - hmm, me thinks a bigger screen is coming.

Some people want a music player (iPod 5.5G); some people are ccrying out for a movie player. So I agree with those who predict an iPod Video at the top end of the line. The iPod 5G is totally unsuitable to play movies or video because of it's small screen size. Who wants to look at a screen that size for 2hrs+.
  • Reply 37 of 105
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

But I have to ask, mariuscosmos, what does Apple having a subscription service for iPod/iTunes have to do with converting to Mac?

Simple: there are no other subscription services on the Mac, so this is the one thing he still needs Windows for.
  • Reply 38 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox

No, it is not the screen I am excited about. It is the software/features that excite me. Wifi sharing is going to be like wlan for the ds, great if you can find somebody, useless feature if you can't. But the zune store ( with both subscription and buy it service ), the software ( gui looks amazing, wmp11 > itunes, so I am sure zune store will be modeled after wmp11, then not to mention the media center/360 connectivity )

oh and look at this advertisment, MS is clearly getting better at the whole viral video thing.

Coming Zune- rocking birds

edit: ofcourse they still can't touch Apple when it comes to commercials
  • Reply 39 of 105
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Think Secret thinks it might be coming before Christmas.http://thinksecret.com/secretnotes/
  • Reply 40 of 105
    okie... I bought the original 4GB iPod nano on the first day of announcement. It's a big upgrade from my 10GB iPod 2G and 512MB iPod shuffle at that time. When the 5G iPod came out, I immediately bought the 60GB model. I eventually sold the iPod nano to my friend.

I constantly checked the rumors sites regarding to a 'true' video iPod. After the Sept 12 announcement, I was a little bit upset. However, I asked myself do I really need a 'true' video iPod? I have a 17-inch studio display and an iBook G4 at home, I don't commute to work. When I travel, I bring my iBook with me.

It's nice to have a decent screen size and widescreen for watching a featured film on the iPod, but IMHO I'm gonna pass.

Oddly, I sold my 60GB iPod to the same friend who bought my iPod nano, and then got myself a black 30GB enhanced 5G iPod few days ago.