Good 15 or 17 inch DVI flat panel

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Believe it or not, there aren't a lot of DVI monitors on the market. But given that soon enough I'll have a DVI powerbook and I'll want more screen space, I'm going to go ahead and get a second monitor at the same time.

I could always use the ADC-DVI converter and then get an Apple or Formac display (17", both of which are super-awesome), but I don't want the extra wire clutter, plus a KVM switch may be in my future, and I don't imagine it's easy to find ADC switches, plus the other computer is a PC.

I know Samsung has good panels, but they don't seem to have a lot of DVI offerings. Does anyone know the flat panel market?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Neovo USA.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Half of Samsung's offerings are DVI panels, and more and more flat panels are beginning to come with dual DVI and VGA inputs. I have the Samsung 170T, an excellent flat panel that also has DVI inputs. I think their current 17" flat panel is the 172T, which should cost around $700.

If you're willing to buy from Dell, my understanding is that many of their flat panels are rebadged Samsung LCDs. Considering that Dell runs 10-20% off stuff fairly frequently in their peripherals store (i.e. they have 20% off Dell monitors expiring today), that's probably the best place to pick up an LCD.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ah but the formac is available as dvi as well as adc...

so your problem's solved right there...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>ah but the formac is available as dvi as well as adc...

so your problem's solved right there...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, as stated on the Formac website, the DVI version is just the ADC version plus an DVI-ADC-adapter (probably not a genuine Apple one, though) - that's why the DVI model is actually more expensive.

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 5 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by RazzFazz:

<strong>

Actually, as stated on the Formac website, the DVI version is just the ADC version plus an DVI-ADC-adapter (probably not a genuine Apple one, though) - that's why the DVI model is actually more expensive.

Bye,

RazzFazz</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I noticed this. But if the Formac adapter is just a video adapter, (i.e. no USB) and if it connects to the monitor somewhere, I can live with that, since I actually think the Formac panel is the best 17" LCD on the market.

As for Dell, yeah, that's not a prob with me. If they lose money on me, that's all the better, but their panels have a ton of front-back space and are bulky. Thanks for the heads up, though, since it's definitely a consideration. I've seen the Dell panels. They're pretty good.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    upon further inspection, it appears that Formac has a new display, the 1740 ox

<a href="http://www.formac.com/p_bin/?cid=solutions_displays_gallery1740ox"; target="_blank">http://www.formac.com/p_bin/?cid=solutions_displays_gallery1740ox</a>;

Pantone can blow me. I'm a 3D modeler, and I care here about sharpness and brightness, plus so very few of the things I do ever end up in print.

749 If I get their adapter, 699 if not. Ples I don't have to look at a Dell logo all day. (Dell's good 17 is 699).
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Well gang, if you're into 1600x1200 and a little more money, Dell is now selling their 20" DVI/VGA 2000SP screen for only $1,119.99. That's 20% off the list of $1400. It's getting very reasonable to have professional high UXGA resolution in a flat panel.

But you may consider this out of your budget. I am waiting until UXGA flat panels cost $999 to pull the trigger. But it's getting close and tempting.