tv tuner

1st1st
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Anyone care to comment on TV tuner for Mac? for Macbook? Thanks in advance.

http://www.pvrwire.com/2006/09/11/tv...r-macbook-pro/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I have it on my iMac and it's UNREAL. really impressive best $99 ever spent (!) let me know and I'll send you some pics if interested.. i have a core duo 2 20" imac and plug the USB adapter to my ComCast cable..

recordings are amazing it even exports to ipod video format, so I schedule a recording press the ipod logo and voila it's in my ipod...

my only concern is since it's single tuner once you record a show you can't switch channel but i'm not aware of any dual-tuner USB cards

go buy it NOW!! lol
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1st

Anyone care to comment on TV tuner for Mac? for Macbook? Thanks in advance.

http://www.pvrwire.com/2006/09/11/tv...r-macbook-pro/

I have the Miglia Mini on my iMac it works great - however the included aerial is worse than useless. I have to pluig it in to a Yagi to get any TV picture (and I don't live is a particularly poor signal area). If you're planning to use this on the move you'll have to search out an Aerial with more gain.

http://www.miglia.com/products/video...Pro/index.html
  • Reply 3 of 10
    who uses built-in aerial? i have cable sockets throughout the house, you simply plug in your coax to the wall then connect to tv tuner... watching simpsons as we speak in full-screen wide
  • Reply 4 of 10
    my EyeTV hybrid should be coming soon - for my Mac Pro. It's $149, and it looks like a lot of fun to play with. I just hope it gets here before the Galactica opener.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    Thanks for all the reply. Will start put on the X-mas wish list. Thanks again.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    You can't use the TV tuner you linked to in a MacBook because it doesn't have an ExpressCard slot. However, EyeTV 2, which looks like a good bit of software (haven't used it myself) supports a range of USB TV adaptors which are suitable for use with the MacBook.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

You can't use the TV tuner you linked to in a MacBook because it doesn't have an ExpressCard slot. However, EyeTV 2, which looks like a good bit of software (haven't used it myself) supports a range of USB TV adaptors which are suitable for use with the MacBook.

eyeTV 2 is THE ONLY USABLE TV Tuner software for mac apart from EyeTV1 (which is, obviously, not sold anymore).

It's lacking a few features but it's got everything you need and it's fast fast fast!

go to http://www.elgato.com to find products for your computer. They all come with a copy of eyetv2 for free.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slughead

eyeTV 2 is THE ONLY USABLE TV Tuner software for mac apart from EyeTV1 (which is, obviously, not sold anymore).

I'm not sure what you mean by "usable", but both Formac and Hauppauge have their own OS X TV software, and I believe there are open-source drivers floating around that work with OS X.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I own a EyeTV hybrid with a mac pro & 30" for some weeks now and never had any problems, except the fact that the xbox doesn't work (it doesn't accept PAL-signals over cinch).

The recording works very well and it's no problem to record one movie, to watch another reorded one and to burn a third at the same time, very cool . However, I couldn't test the digital antenna yet.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

I'm not sure what you mean by "usable", but both Formac and Hauppauge have their own OS X TV software, and I believe there are open-source drivers floating around that work with OS X.

Usable means that it doesn't crash and it's fast, which is in stark contrast to miglia's old software as well as everything else I've tried for mac. I'm incredibly frustrated that it's the only option. Luckily, it's really, really good

Apple really needs to make software like this.. but then they'd have to pay for mpeg2 (oh noes).

The key behind eyeTV is that it records directly into mpeg2 streaming, which is just a couple minutes away from DVD format. You may also cut commercials out of programs incredibly quickly with its editor. For a 1 hour show, I can edit out 20 minutes of commercials in under a minute. Once you edit or export, it goes from mpeg2 streaming to mpeg 2, which toast titanium accepts directly and encodes into DVD format almost on the fly.