2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah

4GB not enough?

8GB? Ouch!

It isnt Photoshop, it is what you do in Photoshop that makes the differance: it works great on 512MB (ppc) or 1GB (intel for emmulation) for little 2-6 layer web banners or simple icons, but I would want 4 gigs if I were working on a 12 MP raw and had 120 layers or some crazy jazz like that.

That said, more ram will make things a lot faster, just like adding a supercharger to your car.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer

That said, more ram will make things a lot faster, just like adding a supercharger to your car.

The Appleinsider Forums would like to state that they are a car metaphor-free discussion zone.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    I've had a Mac Pro since the first week they came out. I upgraded to 2 GB as soon as I could. I use Aperture and Photoshop extensively? I scan large format film negatives (black and white, around 300 MB each), and they bring CS2 in Rosetta to its knees. My G5 Never hiccupped with files this size. Aperture was decent. Better than my G5, but then today I installed the X1900XT and have never been happier with the performance. Still, I want at least 4 GB so I can comfortably run Aperture and Photoshop at the same time. Too bad the money is gone now.... FB-DIMMs need to come down in price, please.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Sorry guys, I don't own a MBP yet, but this is an interesting thread. How many slots are there total for memory expansion? 2?
  • Reply 25 of 34
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nohm

Sorry guys, I don't own a MBP yet, but this is an interesting thread. How many slots are there total for memory expansion? 2?

This is a thread about the tower, not the notebook.

The Mac Book Pro has two slots.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    OSX will not devour all your ram if you dont have very much. the OS itself doesnt cache much in memory. Running a bunch of standard apps (iphoto, mail, safari, etc) with only 1GB of RAM consistently leaves 250-500MB free. BUT running Aperture or photoshop or some pro app they quickly eat all your RAm and scream for more. I find general day-2-day computing to be excellent with 1GB on the mac pro, but aperture just starts a swap-fest.

now when i had 4GB of RAM in my dual G5, OSX would slowly eat memory until it hit around 2GB, just for OSX! when OSX has access to a lot of RAM its memory caching algorithms crank it up a notch and it gets very aggressive with caching. So 4GB was OK, but I was going to go to 8GB before the mac pros came out.

Feeding RAM to OSX only makes it hungrier! go with 16GB
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CheapFrag

Feeding RAM to OSX only makes it hungrier! go with 16GB

Damn skippy! The more the merrier -- but 2GB over 1GB a definite, 4GB's if you're doing pro apps a minium for ease of use (totally liveable and great)... anything after that is fantastic, but costly. If it's mission critical to what you're doing for your livelihood, go with as much as you can shove in there without having to sell the car or the kids.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    I've had some page outs with 1 GB, but it's not really noticeable with the RAID 0. I'm moving to 3 GBs when I get home tonight - didn't have time to install the FB-DIMMs this afternoon when they came.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    I have 4 GB and lovvving it
  • Reply 30 of 34
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I'd like to know if the restrictions on the quad channel mode, other than having at least two modules on each riser cards. Do both pairs have to be the same size? I'm thinking of getting a Mac Pro with the stock RAM and buying one 2GB kit. I really can't find any hard information on Intel's chipset pages or in Apple's documentation, or anywhere else for that matter.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    mac pro with 1GB?

you should be shot on the spot. this thread should be: "how can I cripple my mac pro in one easy step?" I have a suggestion, why not just take it out back and wash the dust balls out of it with the garden hose? Yes, it should be plugged in, its a negative ion to anti-proton cleanse thing, the electricty helps get the fuzz off the capacitors.

1gb, my eye.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau

mac pro with 1GB?

Flame removed - JL

Thanks for your valuable input.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah

Thanks for your valuable input.

you're welcome. I don't mean to rant but if you're buying a super powerful machine put a decent amount of ram in it. you don't get a sports car and put just the donut spare out of the trunk on it and expect to zip around on only 1 crappy wheel do ya? ;D
  • Reply 34 of 34
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    We never have enough ram. Ram is one of the most important things, even BEFORE the processor's speed. I'm using 4 GB in my G5 tower.