17" mbp and 24" iMac comparison

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey all, which one of these two macs would have better performance specs regarding Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, After Effects, etc.? They kinda have similar specs now, so I was just wondering...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I'm going to buy the 24" iMac mainly because of that outrageously beautiful 24" screen. Just pick the one that suits your purpose, nohm. I'm getting the fast chip, maxed out RAM and biggest HD for audio, video and 3D work. It's a very nice computer.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    The iMac will for sure be a lot better BANG for the BUCK
  • Reply 3 of 11
    The iMac(24") will potentially be faster as it can be configured with a better graphics card.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    And a proper sized HD, which can spin much faster and hold a LOT more.

Only benefit to a PB is you can laze around in bed, surfing the web, like I'm doing right now...
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I saw the IMac 24" at the Apple Store. Pretty damn large and ugly if you ask me!
  • Reply 6 of 11
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gostan

I saw the IMac 24" at the Apple Store. Pretty damn large and ugly if you ask me!

OK, I will ask you: large, yes, but why the 24" model in particular is ugly and not the others?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB

OK, I will ask you: large, yes, but why the 24" model in particular is ugly and not the others?

I am not enamored with the large lower lip of any of the IMac's, but the form factor in the 17 & 20 inchers is not as overwhelming to my eyes as the 24 incher is.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

I am not enamored with the large lower lip of any of the IMac's, but the form factor in the 17 & 20 inchers is not as overwhelming to my eyes as the 24 incher is.

Lip? Aka chin. Is that what you do mean?

So, in your eyes, size and beauty go hand in hand. For the iMac case at least. Right?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Hmm... I'm inclined to think that the larger screen actually makes the "chin" look quite a bit smaller...
  • Reply 10 of 11
    it all depends on your needs.

if its gonna sit on a desktop, get the desktop: the iMac.

if you need it to be portable, get the MBP

like others have said, the iMac would be better for many reasons:

- Core 2 Duo

- Larger, faster HD

- more screen real estate - important if you're like me and have many things open at once or just like to see the entire document that you're working on.

- PRICE!!!! you can get the 24" iMac with 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB mem, 500GB harddrive, AND the NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB graphics card FOR LESS than the standard 17" MBP. and the stanard MBP only comes w/ 2.16GHz Core Duo, 1GB mem, 120GB hd, and the ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB video card.

its obvious that if you dont need portability that you should go w/ the baller-ass 24" iMac vs. the base model 17" MBP
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Plus rumor has it, http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/...24194334.shtml

that the Core 2 Duo iMacs come with 802.11n secretly inside!