Apple in iTV content licensing talks with Google

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer may tap Internet search giant Google to help deliver a steady stream of Internet video content for its upcoming iTV digital media hub.

According to the Sept. 25, 2006 issue of Newsweek, both parties have been in discussion about making files from Google's free online Video easily accessible by the new Apple device.

"Is it possible that when iTV ships next year, you may also be able to choose a menu item called Google Video, and then zip through the best of the thousands of user-submitted videos on the search giant's service?," columnist Steven Levy wrote.

Levy added that Google's consumer product chief, Marissa Mayer, has confirmed that the two companies are engaged in talks.

Due out during the first quarter of next year, Apple's iTV is intended to bridge the gap between computers and the living room. It will employ wireless streaming technology to deliver music, podcasts, videos and films from the home PC to the living room TV.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    Boring
  • Reply 2 of 36
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I hope there is an 'iTV' Pro, 75% the height of a Mac mini and 50% wider and deeper, with a builtin Mac hardware so people (I) don't have to purchase a seperate Mac mini and 'iTV'.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    zzzzzzzhuh....ah! That's very nic.....zzzzzzz
  • Reply 4 of 36
    huh? if they wanted user-submitted video, then why wouldn't they just sign a deal with youtube. They are the clear leader in the user-submitted video market. Google is a competitor in the purchased video market, so it doesn't make sense to legitimize their site.

Slightly off-topic, but I'm hoping that they somehow include a browser in iTV.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    One thing I found interesting in iTunes 7 is the left column groupings. There is Library (note singular), Store, and Playlists. For some reason my first thought in the store section was that Apple could easily add other 'stores'. What if there was an iTunes store, an iFlicks store, and a Google store?
  • Reply 6 of 36
    If they packed this up as the new Video iPod, that would be cool!

i.e. wireless streaming of video to your touch-screen, wide-screen, hand-held

launched the same day as Zune

- that would be even better!
  • Reply 7 of 36
    In fact, if Apple could do an Archos-like device.....

http://ifa2006.net/archos-604-wifi/

I'd buy it!
  • Reply 8 of 36
    I agree about youtube....there really should be no reason though they would tie themselves to one service...if it is truly the product I am expecting then you should be able to stream anything you can find online to it...I realize they will want to embrace a pay scheme for downloading content from itunes but for it really to be something people will want I think all te free content out there has to be accessible too. I enjoy watching youtube and think it will really be cool to surf that content from the couch.

I think the biggest hurdle is the remote device they come up with for this....an easy way to input keywords is a must for what I have in mind.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury7

I agree about youtube....there really should be no reason though they would tie themselves to one service...if it is truly the product I am expecting then you should be able to stream anything you can find online to it...I realize they will want to embrace a pay scheme for downloading content from itunes but for it really to be something people will want I think all te free content out there has to be accessible too. I enjoy watching youtube and think it will really be cool to surf that content from the couch.

I think the biggest hurdle is the remote device they come up with for this....an easy way to input keywords is a must for what I have in mind.

It will use the standard Apple remote according to Steve in the Apple keynote.

Ian
  • Reply 10 of 36
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I think it was SpamSandwich that called this in another thread.

I think it's a good idea (although I agree about Youtube vs. google). How much can you watch your same stuff over and over? Another nice option would be to browse podcasts via iTV, without having to download them with your computer first.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury7

That's a good point - maybe they could use the new iPod search feature with the little keyboard on the screen. Not ideal, but probably no less ideal than using a keyboard.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Equinux already has something similar for your mac :

• Reply 13 of 36
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Well, its interesting as Google Video and the iTunes Store directly compete in the arena of TV shows. I think iTunes has had much more success in that respect though. If Google really are going to start attacking Apple's buisness, they wouldn't be making this deal.

I agree YouTube is more popular, but to be honest they're both (in my opinion) full of poor home videos and copyrighted content that shouldn't be there...
  • Reply 14 of 36
    I think its more interesting how the iTV pre-announcement is successfully running pass-interference on everybody else's efforts in this area. No set-top box can now be mentioned without reference to iTV and Apple.

(did I use the NFL reference correctly? 8) )
  • Reply 15 of 36
    I continue to believe that this iTV box may work without a personal computer, and you may also be able to directly connect your iPod to it via USB. You'll be able to go straight from the iTV to the iTunes Store (as well as Google apparently) and either watch content or download it to your iPod directly. I mean why do you need your own computer when you could just as easily stream from elsewhere?

Pure speculation, but in that case, this whole preview may have been to divert attention from these other features.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57

I think its more interesting how the iTV pre-announcement is successfully running pass-interference on everybody else's efforts in this area. No set-top box can now be mentioned without reference to iTV and Apple.

(did I use the NFL reference correctly? 8) )

Good point. Also, any deals with Google could help drive content to Apple. It's interesting how many studios are trying to find a way to monetize Google. Not Yahoo (they have their own Hollywood deptarment), not AOL (barf), but Google. No one is really succeeding (and Google's own downloading isn't so great). Good deal if it comes about. Everyone is "discussing" in Hollywood.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jacob1varghese

huh? if they wanted user-submitted video, then why wouldn't they just sign a deal with youtube. They are the clear leader in the user-submitted video market. Google is a competitor in the purchased video market, so it doesn't make sense to legitimize their site.

The first reason Apple is going with Google is because Google is a well known brand name that potential consumers will recognize.

YouTube and MySpace may be popular with teens but they aren't the ones ponying up $299 for an iTV.

The other reason is Google...

\tAlerts

\tBlog Search

\tBook Search

\tCatalogs

\tCheckout

\tDeathray

\tDesktop

\tDirectory

\tEarth

\tFinance

\tFree Massages

\tFroogle

\tGoggles

\tImages

\tLocal

\tMaps

\tMalus

\tMoonbase

\tNews

\tScholar

\tSpecialized Searches

\tToolbar

\tVideo

\tWeb Search

\tWeb Search Features

\tCode

\tCo-op

\tLabs

\tBlogger

\tCalendar

\tGmail

\tGroups

\tNeural Implants

\tPicasa

\tSketchUp

\tTalk

\tTranslate

\tMaps for mobile

\tMobile

\tSMS

\tPack
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

The first reason Apple is going with Google is because Google is a well known brand name that potential consumers will recognize.

YouTube and MySpace may be popular with teens but they aren't the ones ponying up $299 for an iTV.

The other reason is Google...

\tAlerts

\tBlog Search

\tBook Search

\tCatalogs

\tCheckout

\tDeathray

\tDesktop

\tDirectory

\tEarth

\tFinance

\tFree Massages

\tFroogle

\tGoggles

\tImages

\tLocal

\tMaps

\tMalus

\tMoonbase

\tNews

\tScholar

\tSpecialized Searches

\tToolbar

\tVideo

\tWeb Search

\tWeb Search Features

\tCode

\tCo-op

\tLabs

\tBlogger

\tCalendar

\tGmail

\tGroups

\tNeural Implants

\tPicasa

\tSketchUp

\tTalk

\tTranslate

\tMaps for mobile

\tMobile

\tSMS

\tPack

... beta
  • Reply 19 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jacob1varghese

Yea but they want to befriend Google, cause they'll need there various technologies. They'll need Google search for their iPhone etc. I'm sure Apple will talk to Google about them incresing the quality of the videos before they launch the service. Also imagine being able to access all those videos from your iPhone too.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:

No, the first reason that they're going with Google is that Google's CEO just joined Apple's board of directors.