Why you will NEVER see a fingerprint scanner built in

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Just watch this video of mythbusters beating fingerprint security on these locks. These are suppposedly the most advanced fingerprint scanners in the world, used at the pentagon, cia, ect.

They were able to be it with a photocopied thumbprint taped to their real finger. Nice :-)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Sorry Here is the Movie Link:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oXyFmieZjiE
  • Reply 2 of 28
    wow, thats pretty sad. a lot of my friends brag about having that, i'll just have to show them this now...
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail

Just watch this video of mythbusters beating fingerprint security on these locks. These are suppposedly the most advanced fingerprint scanners in the world, used at the pentagon, cia, ect.

They were able to be it with a photocopied thumbprint taped to their real finger. Nice :-)

think you mean "beat it"

y'know like Michael Jackson said!
  • Reply 4 of 28
    well, it's good to know these guys (Pentagon, CIA) aren't in charge of national securi... wait a minute. \
  • Reply 5 of 28
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I liked how the cheap USB scanner was stronger than the fancy in-door one. To be fair though, the USB version can get easy software updates and is probably running more sophisticated comparison algorithms.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    I saw that the other day, it was pretty amazing how easy it was to trick them.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    is this really apple related?
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adezero

is this really apple related?

No. Apple Outsider fools! Anyways, the CIA/FBI uses retinal scans for very confidential info. And Apple will never include finger print scanners in the near or far future. It is not athetically pleasing, not practical for personal computing, etc.

I once thought of the keyboards that use a laser technology in the keys of a keyboard to scan finger prints quickly as you type your password in. The computer would check for more than one finger print match than just one, making it harder to duplicate, in addition to the fact that the password has to be typed in anyways.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Note: they still had to get a fingerprint...
  • Reply 10 of 28
    yea ok lets ask the head of the fbi if i can photocopy his thumb...LMAO yea thats gonna happen
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shady104

yea ok lets ask the head of the fbi if i can photocopy his thumb...LMAO yea thats gonna happen

They could just get the print right off the fingerprint scanner with chemicals and a camera. print the picture off and scan that through
  • Reply 12 of 28
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slughead

Note: they still had to get a fingerprint...

Note, also, how hard it was to get. Meaning, not very. Hell, it was the oldest trick in the book: hand your mark a glass/can, let them drink, lift the prints.

If you're wanting to break into a laptop, it might be even easier. Just start lifting prints off the back of the display, where most folks grab it to open/close the laptop.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    The really bad part of biometric security is that once stolen you can't reset the key. I can change my passwords. Harder to change my finger, hand and retinal prints.

Vinea
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

Anyways, the CIA/FBI uses retinal scans for very confidential info.

I hope you don't see that on a computer near you anytime soon. THen you'll start hearing reports of people getting mugged, and having their eyeball popped out so the burglars could gain access to their computers, or enter their home. Yuk!
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Why is this so surprizing?

The more complicated the lock, the easier it is to break.

You have to remember that, while the locks are getting more sophisticated, so are the tools available to break them.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

I hope you don't see that on a computer near you anytime soon. THen you'll start hearing reports of people getting mugged, and having their eyeball popped out so the burglars could gain access to their computers, or enter their home. Yuk!

I was NOT advocating retinal scans on a computer. That would be lame. And btw, you can't cut out an eyeball with retinal scans. It looks at dialation and movement. Some even flash a burst of flash at the eye to make it contract to show that it is a eye in a live person. In addition, there is technology that can detect fear in eyes.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Fingerprint security isn't very good. I recently attended a meeting showing new tech in home and office security whhere the fingerprint reader failed on average 55% of the time, more frequently on women's fingers, or anyone who regularly uses harsh cleansers or anyone who produces a lot of sweat. The maker even admitted up to 80 percent of women would be unrecognizable to the machine 75% of the time. Of course, this means they couldn't open the door.

There was another machine there which worked far better: a palm sensor that doesn't read the palm print, but rather the heat index from the blood vessels in the palm. The reject rate was only 3% and it is almost impossible to make an image of the heat signature without a sensor like the one in the device. This machine actually allowed security codes to be used in tandem with the palm images, just to add a little more security.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

That doesn't actually work

Retinal scans require blood in the capiliaries.

Not to mention the quick breakdown of eyeballs after they've been without circulation. Retinas especially are incredibly fragile.

So no, minority report was wrong.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slughead

That doesn't actually work

Would make a good movie action sequence, though.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    well, for what it's worth, conventional locks are quite easy to fool too. last month i opened a master combination lock i had forgotten the code to with a method i found online that didn't involve destroying or dissassembling the lock.

once i left my car keys inside the car and the locksmith used a cheap aluminum hook to open the car again (took him under 5 minutes).

a few weeks ago my girlfriend got locked out of her office cubicle and i opened it with a plastic calling card.

so i guess what i am trying to say is that you can fool many security systems with rudimentary tools. 8)