just got my MacBook. comments and questions -->

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i finally got it!

the standard black MacBook. today i ordered 2GB of ram online for $219 shipped! cant wait for it to come!!!!!

comments:

- this 512mb of ram ain't cuttin it for sure

- blame it on being an OS X newb but Office 2004 still wont work right for me.

- OSX > XP

- wireless internet reception is superb

- ShapeShifter is awesome, but has a few glitches

- the battery life on this thing is great

questions:

- is there any way to set the MacBook so that i can close it w/out it going to sleep ONLY when it is hooked up to an external monitor???

- why wont Office 2004 just load up??? i've tried every possible way to install it: recommended, custom and then just dragging it to my harddrive. any way that i do it, it just ends up the same way: i can open Word OR Excel OR powerPoint ONLY ONCE. as any of the three finish loading i get an error stating "An unexpected error occured while trying to load the Microsoft Framework library". and then it'll let me run that one program until i quit out of it. if i try to open any other of those programs after i have opened the first one they wont load. the program icon will bounce and then stop, but nothing will happen after that. i must then restart my MB to run any MS Office program. what gives?? i've tried deleting and re-installing the Office 2004 software like 20 times now, with the same result each time.

any advice would help alot. thanks!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by untsig

i finally got it!

- why wont Office 2004 just load up??? i've tried every possible way to install it: recommended, custom and then just dragging it to my harddrive. any way that i do it, it just ends up the same way: i can open Word OR Excel OR powerPoint ONLY ONCE. as any of the three finish loading i get an error stating "An unexpected error occured while trying to load the Microsoft Framework library". and then it'll let me run that one program until i quit out of it. if i try to open any other of those programs after i have opened the first one they wont load. the program icon will bounce and then stop, but nothing will happen after that. i must then restart my MB to run any MS Office program. what gives?? i've tried deleting and re-installing the Office 2004 software like 20 times now, with the same result each time.

any advice would help alot. thanks!!

delete this folder ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data. And try again!
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I just got the 2.0GHz White Macbook today (basic config) & I have to agree 512MB makes booting and opening apps quite slow. I'm going to upgrade to 2GB of RAM as well and get either a 120 or 160GB HD, so things should speed up quite abit.

I have to agree that wireless is VERY GOOD and OSX detected my NETGEAR wireless router immediately. However, even though I have file/print sharing enabled, it still cannot see my parent's printer. Not sure how to get this to work, so if anyone can chime in on how to get print sharing to work properly.

Battery life has been I say around 3 hrs for me or a little better. I let the battery drain to 0% and it's now recharging. So far I'm very impressed with my purchase. At one point, CoreDuoTemp reported a temperture of 98 degreees F., but after I rebooted, it jumped all the way up to 142 degrees which is a BIG jump.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Office 2004 does not work well because it is not a Native App. Office is currently only design for use with PPC Macs, not Intel Based Macs so when you open Office, it is being translated with a feature called Rosetta Stone and that is why it is so slow.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crea78

I just got the 2.0GHz White Macbook today (basic config) & I have to agree 512MB makes booting and opening apps quite slow. I'm going to upgrade to 2GB of RAM as well and get either a 120 or 160GB HD, so things should speed up quite abit.

I have to agree that wireless is VERY GOOD and OSX detected my NETGEAR wireless router immediately. However, even though I have file/print sharing enabled, it still cannot see my parent's printer. Not sure how to get this to work, so if anyone can chime in on how to get print sharing to work properly.

Battery life has been I say around 3 hrs for me or a little better. I let the battery drain to 0% and it's now recharging. So far I'm very impressed with my purchase. At one point, CoreDuoTemp reported a temperture of 98 degreees F., but after I rebooted, it jumped all the way up to 142 degrees which is a BIG jump.

You have to add it by the ip address of the printer, at least that is what I have to do at school, I had to know the ip of the printer and then I was able to print to it.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGrant

Office 2004 does not work well because it is not a Native App. Office is currently only design for use with PPC Macs, not Intel Based Macs so when you open Office, it is being translated with a feature called Rosetta Stone and that is why it is so slow.

yeah. i understand that it would run a little slower but the damn thing just straight up doesnt work after you run it once and quit out of it.

im gonna try again to wipe out everything microsoft from my harddrive and try re-installing it again.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

yeah. i understand that it would run a little slower but the damn thing just straight up doesnt work after you run it once and quit out of it.

im gonna try again to wipe out everything microsoft from my harddrive and try re-installing it again.

Unstig,

Just delete this folder

Micorsoft User Data

which is in your Documents Folder

- your problems will be fixed!

If you Google for your error you see this is the answer.

Office works fine Intel <- albeit a little slow.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    sometimes problems with applications can be solved simply by deleting a preference file. As a new mac user you should get acquainted with the folders that contain the pref files. They are under your account library at: /users/[accountname]/library/preferences

tip: prompt to go to a folder from finder is command-shift-G
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archstudent

sometimes problems with applications can be solved simply by deleting a preference file. As a new mac user you should get acquainted with the folders that contain the pref files. They are under your account library at: /users/[accountname]/library/preferences

tip: prompt to go to a folder from finder is command-shift-G

I love how the go to folder box complete your directory name just like in a nix shell, great feature.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    well it seems to have worked. i went thru and deleted anything microsoft related in the library and some other folder.

reloaded Office 2004 and now i'm able to use word excel and pwr pnt!!!

it is slow as all he!! but when i throw in the 2GBs of ram tonight it will hopefully be MUCH better.

thanks for your help guys!!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

well it seems to have worked. i went thru and deleted anything microsoft related in the library and some other folder.

reloaded Office 2004 and now i'm able to use word excel and pwr pnt!!!

it is slow as all he!! but when i throw in the 2GBs of ram tonight it will hopefully be MUCH better.

thanks for your help guys!!

you might also want to try the Microsoft AutoUpdate in /Applications/, I still have a G4 iBook, and when I first installed Office on my iBook it was terribly slow, and once I did the updates, I noticed a significant improvement overall in the performance of office. I had to do two seperate updates.

-iGrant
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGrant

you might also want to try the Microsoft AutoUpdate in /Applications/, I still have a G4 iBook, and when I first installed Office on my iBook it was terribly slow, and once I did the updates, I noticed a significant improvement overall in the performance of office. I had to do two seperate updates.

-iGrant

yeah, i did one update so far but the second was taking forever on a friends wireless network so i'm gonna do the second update once i get home and install the two 1GB memory sticks that are waiting on me!!

thanks again for the advice!
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

yeah, i did one update so far but the second was taking forever on a friends wireless network so i'm gonna do the second update once i get home and install the two 1GB memory sticks that are waiting on me!!

thanks again for the advice!

yeah the second update is the one you want, it really fixed all the problems I was having with Office about two weeks ago!

-iGrant
  • Reply 13 of 13
    sweet. i guess that's why it seemed to take a billion times longer to load than the first one.