Apple broadens Leopard distribution, iTunes update soon

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vox Barbara

What does that suppose to mean, a squeaky clean desktop?

Hey, this is Windows. That means you need to use Windex with ammonia-D to get them squeaky clean. It'll be even better when Vista brings Glass to the mix.
  • Reply 22 of 73
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    When I have no apps open, there is nothing on my desktop but my desktop background. As in, NOTHING, not even the menubar or dock. It's indistinguishable from a screensaver and is amazing for reducing clutter.
  • Reply 23 of 73
    I don't know what some of you guys are talking about.

On my PC almost everthing works great. Cover Flow works... iTunes does not add a shortcut to my desktop everytime I start it, or in my Program Files bar.

The music sounds the same as w/iTunes 6...

The only weird thing is that the apple logo is blurry in the beginning of the visualizer.
  • Reply 24 of 73
    Quote:

I played the same audio files from version 7 and 6, and there is quite a big difference. In iTunes 7, there is hissing and background noise, not to mention very sharp and piercing bursts in the high (tweeter) range. EQ on both is set to flat.

Ah... that explains a lot. My headphones were causing all kinds of distortion in iTunes 6 so I sent off to get them replaced. When the new ones arrived, they were still distorting but iTunes 7 had come out, so that could be why.
  • Reply 25 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottie924

Would there be any chance of them trying to beat Microsoft out with Leopord before Vista?

I sure hope so, I am willing to bet that they will have it out sooner than steve said, it would make a nice xmas present. .... those previews are making me drool ....

As for Vista I expect there to be more delays so you may be right

-Robert
  • Reply 26 of 73
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    I really don't expect Leopard until Jan MacWorld at the earliest. Two reasons:

a. The Xmas quarter will be great financially without Leopard's added revenue.

b. Jobs will want to preview the rest of it at MacWorld to get the biggest buzz and free coverage.

c. Even if it is feature complete, Apple can use the time to squeeze out more bugs - as we see right now in iTunes 7, and tune it further for the hardware.

That said, I have had no problems whatsoever with iTunes 7 on either a PC or a Mac for music, podcasts, or video. I'm not using AirTunes though. And I don't mind the it being on my desktop or in the tray.
  • Reply 27 of 73
    I've had no problems with iTunes 7, but I didn't follow the instructions. I'm still using QT 7.1.2. Then again I exercise very few iTunes features because I have very little album art, no movies, no TV shows, no podcasts and no purchased music. I don't even have an iTMS ID because I have no intention of paying for compressed music and I'm not in the US so I can't buy TV or movie content.

I'm not surprised to see the AirPort Express disappearing from shelves. Thousands of them failed shortly out of warranty and I've yet to meet anyone who didn't have problems getting AirTunes or their printer to work reliably. Add the proliferation of all-in-one (printer/scanner/fax) units that lose their scanning and fax capability when connected to an Express and you've got an expensive wireless router with no support for wired clients and a shorter lifespan than the $50 competition. I worked for an Apple Reseller for two years. The AirPort Express was a hot seller among single people and those with money to burn. However, almost every family and small business owner who ever walked into the store wanted to mix wired and wireless computers. AirPort (Express or the hideously expensive Extreme) was a complete non starter for them.
  • Reply 28 of 73
    Actually, many companies are rolling out 802.11n products before the standard is approved.

8)

http://tinyurl.com/jnc9o
  • Reply 29 of 73
    [QUOTE=mark2005]I really don't expect Leopard until Jan MacWorld at the earliest. Two reasons:

b. Jobs will want to preview the rest of it at MacWorld to get the biggest buzz and free coverage.

c. Even if it is feature complete, Apple can use the time to squeeze out more bugs - as we see right now in iTunes 7, and tune it further for the hardware.

That makes sense, but we can wish ........
  • Reply 30 of 73
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by derev

Actually, many companies are rolling out 802.11n products before the standard is approved.

They are not "n" products, they are "pre-n" or "draft-n" because the standard can still change. There's a chance that the Wi-Fi alliance certification could get it completely wrong.
  • Reply 31 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nufase

oh, I hope they get rid of the ugly scroll bars in the new iTunes and go back to a more aqua look.

I agree. For a company so fastidious about interface guidelines, why does the Finder, Safari, and iTunes all look different??

Regarding iTunes 7 performance, I have had several occasions where the app fails to launch citing that there is "insufficient memory" --- but nothing else it running. A move to Trash and reinstall restores it.
  • Reply 32 of 73
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sharp_spot

I agree. For a company so fastidious about interface guidelines, why does the Finder, Safari, and iTunes all look different??

Regarding iTunes 7 performance, I have had several occasions where the app fails to launch citing that there is "insufficient memory" --- but nothing else it running. A move to Trash and reinstall restores it.

Unfortunately, there are at least three "themes" for programs in OS X, but they aren't system-wide themes, and only through third party software can you fix that. Aqua, Brushed Metal and Unified are the themes in OS X that I am aware of. iTunes used to be Unified, though maybe it is an advancement of Unified without changing any of the other Unified programs.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts

I installed iTunes 7.0 on Vista today just to see if it would work and it does, mostly. I imported the same CD into both WMP and iTunes and the sound quality was better in iTunes. The only problem I saw was the music video was very choppy, but I think it has more to do with QuickTime that iTunes. The iTunes UI is still the solid gray color, but the preferences window got the aero glass effect.

Do you have Sound Enhancer checked in iTunes preferences? I wonder how many people think to check this preference. It can sweeten your music or cause a mess if misapplied, like EQ settings. And is there an equivalent in WMP to make a comparison, if the cd was ripped at the same bitrate, etc.?

I'd LOVE to have Sound Enhancer and EQ settings extended to any audio being played in Tiger or Leopard. Would help in boosting/enhancing the sound from my EyeTV software.

Anyone at Apple listening?
  • Reply 34 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain

Also, there is no way to go to current song when in Cover flow or Album views.

What? Of course there is. It's the same as it always has been. File > Show Current Song.
  • Reply 35 of 73
    [QUOTE=redison]Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005

I really don't expect Leopard until Jan MacWorld at the earliest. Two reasons:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005

That makes sense, but we can wish ........

Aren't we forgetting that Apple has now officially said "Spring 2007" for the launch, up from the previously assumed January? This thing is, if anything, being pushed back, not forward.

Quote:

iTunes used to be Unified, though maybe it is an advancement of Unified without changing any of the other Unified programs.

iTunes was never Unified; Unified didn't even exist until Tiger came out, at which time iTunes was still brushed metal. I hope the current iTunes theme, whatever you'd call it (Boxy Metal, Dark Metal..) doesn't start to leak into other programs. It's ok for a media player I suppose (everyone HAS to have their media apps all customized looking these days), but it's too dark and dingy for the rest of the OS. I also hope one of these days they abandon the green faux-LCD display in the middle. Even the nanos are in color already! Sheesh
  • Reply 36 of 73
    I have ripped several "collection" CDs, where the artist is individually identified in each track.

The first thing I noticed after upgrading iTunes was that a separate CD cover shows up in the "flip" view for each Album/Artist combination. For one CD in particular, that adds up to 20-plus CD covers scattered throughout the collection, each refering a different track on the same album. Yuck!
  • Reply 37 of 73
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison

I have ripped several "collection" CDs, where the artist is individually identified in each track.

The first thing I noticed after upgrading iTunes was that a separate CD cover shows up in the "flip" view for each Album/Artist combination. For one CD in particular, that adds up to 20-plus CD covers scattered throughout the collection, each refering a different track on the same album. Yuck!

What you need is the "album artist" field. Sort the list by album, then select an entire compilation album. Now do a get-info, tick the box next to "album artist" and enter something like "various artists". Now the CD will be shown as one instead of several in the "flip" view.

You will also find that if you have two or more albums of the same name by different artists, "flip" view will list tracks from each album alternately. Again, the "album artist" field will solve the problem.
  • Reply 38 of 73
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sharp_spot

I agree. For a company so fastidious about interface guidelines

Apple used to be fastidious about interface guidelines. But all that and their supposed "attention to detail" went out the window with OS X. I'm waiting for it to return, but I fear that it may never do so.
  • Reply 39 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

Apple used to be fastidious about interface guidelines. But all that and their supposed "attention to detail" went out the window with OS X. I'm waiting for it to return, but I fear that it may never do so.

I think they are still very serious about interface guidelines. By and large.

iTunes is a little bit the exception of this. Someone in this

thread (can't remember who) mentioned, that iTunes is a bit different,

because this app will emerge into a media store app, (which it is

already a bit nowaday). I second that view. So iTunes have have to be different, in order

to show its particular purpose (managing and buying stuff from the IMS).

What a pity Apple just haven't found out the final form. They are still experimenting,

so what.

I don't think that i.e. iTunes and Finder have to be similar

in appearance. Why? They feed completely different purposes.
  • Reply 40 of 73
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

What you need is the "album artist" field. Sort the list by album, then select an entire compilation album. Now do a get-info, tick the box next to "album artist" and enter something like "various artists". Now the CD will be shown as one instead of several in the "flip" view.

You will also find that if you have two or more albums of the same name by different artists, "flip" view will list tracks from each album alternately. Again, the "album artist" field will solve the problem.

From what I've done, album artist field doesn't help. To get cover flow to work right, you need to (a) make sure the album is marked as a collection, and (b) make sure you've selected the Album column. Whether they have the same "album artist" or not seems to not help, but if you sort by song name, you'll always get 20 views of the same cover.