Clues to the spec of the true iPod Video

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Yesterday announcements where very interesting and answered quite a few questions i had. I can assume that the full screen video iPod will be 640 x 480, to match iTunes' offerings.

An 80 gig hard drive, with USB 2 connection, it can then be connected to the iTV directly.

6 hours of video battery life.

I think the price will start at $399. This may be why the iPod was drop $50 in price, to make way for its new big brother.

And I have a feeling there will be a special event the same week, if not before the release date of the Zune.

Oh well, thats my 2 pence worth, but I am sure there are more clues in the presentation. I'll watch it again and see what I find

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    i dont know. i still dont rule out a re-designed ipod. i just dont. they really didnt do a whole lot to the new ipod. it added more space to the 60gb, which isnt a total shock. the rest is just battery and feature upgrades. The price drop , one can think, that this is to start clearing inventory for the iPods. Nano's get given away for free with laptops before upgrade, now they dropped this price. Also, they needed battery upgrades to watch these movies that are 2 hours+. They couldnt release a whole movies store, and expect people with the 30gb iPods to watch a movies that are over 2 hours. They aren't focusing on it either. I'm gonna go ahead and say there will be a true new iPod before Christmas. The mp3 player market it getting competetive, well maybe not that strong of a word, but the other players feature wise are better than the iPod. Though, iPod will once again blow them out of the water.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yamas

Yesterday announcements where very interesting and answered quite a few questions i had. I can assume that the full screen video iPod will be 640 x 480, to match iTunes' offerings.

An 80 gig hard drive, with USB 2 connection, it can then be connected to the iTV directly.

6 hours of video battery life.

I think the price will start at $399. This may be why the iPod was drop $50 in price, to make way for its new big brother.

And I have a feeling there will be a special event the same week, if not before the release date of the Zune.

Oh well, thats my 2 pence worth, but I am sure there are more clues in the presentation. I'll watch it again and see what I find

NO!

640x480 is about 8.5" by 6.4" aka 10" wide screen (pythagorean theorem).
  • Reply 3 of 21
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    *cough* That depends entirely on the dpi, icfireball. What value were you using for that?

200dpi isn't unreasonable now for small screens, which is a 3.2"x2.4" screen.

100dpi is common in most laptops, for 6.4"x4.8".
  • Reply 4 of 21
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:

Nope. Apple just proved they can change the res of their offerings when they want. True video iPod will be widescreen, and Apple will then deliver 480p movies.

Quote:

Probably 60 and 120. It'll use the dock connector, the USB2 connection on the iTV being for a dock, among other things.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

NO!

640x480 is about 8.5" by 6.4" aka 10" wide screen (pythagorean theorem).

yea your wrong cause they make cell phones with QVGA and VGA screens and they are at most 2-3 inches.

also 640x480 is about 6in x 4in the size of a standard photo.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:

also 640x480 is about 6in x 4in the size of a standard photo.

*sigh*

It depends on the dpi you're using in the display. Without that information, mapping pixels to inches is meaningless, and you 6x4 assertion makes as little sense as his 8.5x6.4. Pixels have nothing to do with length, only relative units of area covered.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Not to mention that 6x4 is a completely different aspect ratio than 64x48
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Not to mention that 6x4 is a completely different aspect ratio than 64x48

wow u people totally missed the whole point of the post! point is they can make VGA screens any size.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

640x480 is about 8.5" by 6.4" aka 10" wide screen(pythagorean theorem).

in video, there's no such thing as dpi... EVERY screen, 40"plasma or 7" b/w, has a res of 720x480 (in the NTSC world)... due to format specifications, a NTSC DVD uses 640x480, which will get "stretched" to fit 4:3 or 16:9 displays....

Pythagoras - back to your barrel...
  • Reply 10 of 21
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k_munic

in video, there's no such thing as dpi... EVERY screen, 40"plasma or 7" b/w, has a res of 720x480 (in the NTSC world)... due to format specifications, a NTSC DVD uses 640x480, which will get "stretched" to fit 4:3 or 16:9 displays....

I'm pretty sure your incorrect. THe reason DVD "seems" the same as a NTSC TV is because you can not see it because the spec of the screen is a resolution bottle neck. So is the DVD player. THe DVD hardware is also a bottleneck. DVD resolution is supposed to be 720x480, 1080i HD TV resolution is like 1920x1080, and you can play that through a regular TV, but again the TV is the bottleneck. The most you'll see on a NTSC TV is 640x480. But if you have a DVD that has HD upscaling you can see it at 720x480 if your using 720p on an HD TV because the TV has the capacity.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Many PDA's are now VGA resolution (640 x 480) and the screens on those are usually 3.5" - 4" in size - Link

Any of those screens would be suitable for an iPod.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    You and k_munic are talking about different things entirely.

k_munic said that DPI is irrelevant in the broadcast world, which it is. A DVD is always 720x480 pixels, but your TV will always fill up the screen with it, regardless of how big that screen is.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

correct
  • Reply 14 of 21
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    edit:nm
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

640x480 IS 4:3.. nothing is stretched here, dude!

Unless you mean they stretch it to 720x480 and then the screen squeezes it back to 4:3..
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

What the hell do you mean "there's no such thing as dpi"? Of course there is. It means "dots per inch". All digital screens have dots, all screens have inches. Divide one by the other and you have dpi.

And not all TVs always stretch the image to fill their available space... many have different aspect and scaling modes, not to mention PIP and other specialized modes. Generally normally TVs try to make the image as big as possible, but its not a given.

Certainly the original "NO!" comment was completely offbase. He claimed that the screen would have to be 10" because it was 640x480. This is patently false. To have the smaller size they just choose a display with a higher DPI, i.e. the same number of dots packed into a smaller space. It also isn't true that all NTSC displays are 720x480... they are almost all 480 pixels tall, but the NTSC signal is an analog one and different digital hardware maps this into different horizontal dimensions. Frequently this is only 640. Game consoles, in particular, quite commonly only emit 640 pixels per row to an NTSC signal.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    5-inch screen

more advanced notes/contacts/calendar features

SDTV screen resolution. 480i or 480p.

widescreen.

voice recorder/mic and fm radio or bluetooth/wirelss g. ( for sharing music, wireless headphones/speakers or internet radio )

40gb for 400. ( 4 hour video life )

80gb for 500. ( 5 hour video life )

user replacable battery.

perfect. =)
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woody56292

user replacable battery.

perfect. =)

Doubtful!

Apple NEEDS iPods to breakdown for future sales.

One part about iPod sales, they're self-reinforcing. You buy an iPod, buy some iTMS DRM'ed music/video, your iPod battery goes dead.. uh oh! you gotta pay $100 to get the battery replaced!

Or you say "hrm, well I'll just get a new one!"

Either way, they make profit.

If the battery were user-replacable, Apple's stock would go down.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    $100? You're on crack.

$20 for a 3rd party kit you self-install, $49 through Apple, they do it for you.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slughead

Doubtful!

Apple NEEDS iPods to breakdown for future sales.

One part about iPod sales, they're self-reinforcing. You buy an iPod, buy some iTMS DRM'ed music/video, your iPod battery goes dead.. uh oh! you gotta pay $100 to get the battery replaced!

Or you say "hrm, well I'll just get a new one!"

Either way, they make profit.

If the battery were user-replacable, Apple's stock would go down.

ok well perfect for the consumer not apple. they would still sell the batteries and make money off of them. ( I wouldn't mind having extra batteries for $50 each )