Pda

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
School is getting frustrating, I hate writing things in planners because I never look at them, I think a Pocket PC or a Palm would be nice as they're a bit more digital.

Now then, I have a MBP and I'm not sure which PDA's are compatible with what...I'd like one with a built in keyboard...any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I got a PDA once... after like two weeks I never looked at it either.

Take your MBP to class (or everywhere) and use stickies/iCal/TextEdit/what not and you'll be fine.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

Take your MBP to class (or everywhere) and use stickies/iCal/TextEdit/what not and you'll be fine.

Agreed ... I have a Palm Tungsten E2 set up with the iSync conduit and bluetooth and everything. I never look at it. I think because when I jot assignments down, I just do it on something closest to me. I used to be disciplined enough to actually use the thing, but it really just sits on my desk collecting dust. You're better off using the MBP as your PDA.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orionetheus

School is getting frustrating, I hate writing things in planners because I never look at them, I think a Pocket PC or a Palm would be nice as they're a bit more digital.

Now then, I have a MBP and I'm not sure which PDA's are compatible with what...I'd like one with a built in keyboard...any suggestions?

Keyboard, hmm? Well, those are hard to come by.

Do you have a cell phone? If so, look at upgrading to a Palm Treo. You'll have a cell phone and PDA with keyboard in a single device that you keep with you everywhere.

For syncing, you'll want to invest in some extra software. The Missing Sync will cover all your data syncing needs, as Palm has stopped developing sync software for MacOS. And, whether you get a PalmOS or Windows Mobile version of the Treo, they offer a version of Missing Sync that will work.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I honestly think that a pocket scheduling calender is going to beat out a PDA in convenience, unless you're paralyzed or something.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    The PDA in its current form is more useful for storing large amounts of data and very limited entry. The only place I have seen PDAs in wide use is among physicians in hospitals. Its a lot easier to carry around a single PDA rather than 12 pocketbooks. But still, they use their PDAs for reference rather than for lots of data entry. The screen is too small and the handwriting recognition is sometimes unreliable. If you really want to take notes electronically, use a small notebook computer or a tablet PC.

For what its worth, note-taking is a skill that you can develop with practice. I would encourage you to try some different techniques such as concept-mapping for taking notes during a lecture.

If all you are going to use it for is keeping track of assignments, paper is a lot cheaper.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I cant use a MBP in class....Highschool (oh joy)

Im considering getting the new blackberry pearl.....
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

I've got to second this. I bought a T|X last year hoping it would help me stay organised, turns out it did the exact opposite. It took me too long to type out assignments, and even if I could get them down fast, I never looked at the thing. Now it is just collecting dust.

This year I am using my school-supplied agenda, and it is working out fine. It's a lot bigger, so it grabs my attention when I go through my knapsack.

Noah
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I gotta agree with Noah and all the others about the anti-productivity of the pda.

I used to carry around a PDA a few years back (I'm a very busy college student). At first I used it frequently (I guess because of the hype), but after a month or so, it just became a chore to take it out and jot down stuff here and there. I eventually realized that most of the memos and calendar inputs just became extensive and gimmicky and that all this could be done MUCH faster and conveniently on paper. After a few years, it turns out I was correct.

I know we can get swayed by that cool, micro tech factor and what not, but it's ultimately a big responsibility and obligation to keep something like a pda around when you have other more efficient methods out there. Just cuz technology is creating advancements for already existing tools and methods, it doesn't always mean that it's that much more helpful to our humanity. In some ways or another, it actually ends up hindering us.

Anyways, that's my two cents. Good luck either way.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    I agree and disagree with the above posts. If you really need a PDA, you will use it and it will work for you; if you don't, then it will be a waste of money and a great dust collector.

I have a Sony Clie that is fantastic and I cannot imagine teaching without it. It is great for writing short entries, planning, recording meetings, recording student interviews (I am in language teaching so this is a big one), taking snapshots of the class, playing the occasional game, scheduling my life. Using TheMissinghSync I can connect everything to my Mac and Zap! I'm ready to go. The Clie had a nice thumb pad which worked great after very little practice. My Clie has a case where I can keep extra MemorySticks for the recordings, grade keeping and so on in addition to a concise encyclopedia and a full dictionary.

If you really need the pwoer and convenience, a PDA can be great. However, first make sure you can have the PDA in class. My school (in Japan) forbids studnets t have anything other than electronic dictionaries, so the PDA option is out. Second, think about the pluses and minuses: cost, usage and notetaking ability, true need (will paper do the trick?).

It might be more worth your while to have a different means of organizing your life and take notes in a way that you can easily transfer them to your mac later. Reviewing and typing in your notes in the evening would be a great way of reviewing the material you learned that day (the first review should come the same day).

Try to learn how to mind-map and then use something like ConceptDraw Mindmap on your MBP. It really is a superior way of taking notes (less time, greater retention, freer student with no nagging parents). CD MP also has linking abilities between mind-maps, which is very useful.

http://www.conceptdraw.com/en/
  • Reply 10 of 12
    If you can hold out a bit longer, a bunch of low-cost Electronic-Ink tablets are on the way. Until then, you can do what I do, and just scan the pages that matter after the fact.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orionetheus

Orionetheus,

I absolutely love my Treo 650 by Palm, best and most versatile phone I've ever owned. I've loaded tons of programs on it and it's extremely Mac compatible. I also have a 4gb card in it where I store my music and use it as an MP3 player via "pTunes". Only 2gb is accessable, yet can be hacked and brought to the full 4gb. I can also shoot video and pics of course, along with uploading and watching vids too. It's easy to sync and backup via "Missing Sync". This not a "dust collector" at all. The more I add to it the more valuable it becomes. Very easy to use, a bit on the bulky side, but more than worth it. It's also Bluetooth compatible and can connect to the web (extra cost of course) along with getting your email.

Other useful programs are FileZ, SplashID, AudioGateway and Documents To Go. Tons of others available along with ringtones, games, etc.

Also, lot's of support over at Mytreo.net and TreoCentral.com.

Btw, I'm not a Dr. or Realtor, just a regular schmoe that wanted a phone that's fully Mac compatible, will do what I want it to do and be dependable. I also got in on a great Verizon offer that helped out quite a bit, otherwise it's a bit pricy.

On the other hand have you considered a digital recorder to help take your notes. I used one all through school. When listening to my lectures later it helped a great deal by drilling the key points into my thick skull. This along with paper and pencil got me incredible grades. And here's a tip: when you take notes now and then jot down the number, next to a particular note, that the indexer is at, so that when listening later you can get right to those key points. I promise that this will help a great deal too.

Tony
  • Reply 12 of 12
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    I got Zire 72. Great as for a cheap PDA. you have to find proper freewares in order to be "really personalized" (feel like part of my collection of tools). (1) Got low resolution camera - great to take photo of parking lot number, to some quick trip update to friends. Car accident report;-) Head and shoulder shots are better than the normal phone. (2) got few scientific softwares, like calculation of acid and base, dilution ratio, periodic table, even a mass spectroscopy analyser data base... all freeware or shareware. (3) bluetooth or IR ports are great for (a) type few quick line with friends in the same room-secrete message... Heard about guys using Palm at auction to bid price up... Sending "SOS" short message asking for help are very useful (even got a Moose code SOS for freeware). (b) use as remote control... got 3 geeks use various gadgets to try control a TV was a lot of fun...You don't have to fight with your wife/friend for the remote control...(4) It suppose to be able to load MP3 song... haven't try that one yet. (5) got game like free hand drawing and standard mine sweep... and Sodoko... all free. Very useful when you got stuck in airport or other "situation". (6) as for the fun stuff, HAL screen saver and few program gadgets are very handy... As for normal PDA stuff, works just fine if you enter all the data and synch. on time... By the way, someone offer to buy it off from me since it is so useful (even got a pseudo-compas help on hiking), e.g. use as a scientific calculator too... Couldn't part from it for now... (wait for apple's pda for a long time... better be much much better than the Zire...). I think I heard about some high school integrated Palm into the school program as a transport device (better than USB memory key). The SD card slot are very handy for both photo and small program (thought apple would utilize the many of Wiggets and dashboard type of software for i-Pod application... )...