Apple to update MacBook lines in time for holidays

Comments

• Reply 81 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass

...just be glad that you don't also have all of those AMD updates to think about!...

I'm no longer thinking about AMD. This year is the year they got seriously p*wned BIG time. They've been spanked pretty hard and the red buttcheeks show it. Xeon in servers, Conroe in desktops and gaming rigs, Yonah and Merom in Centrino Duo laptop platforms. No need to think about AMD.

I'll wait until say, end of 2007, when they really have some worthwhile responses.

Still, I'm happy about my Venice3000+ singlecore 1.8ghz stock, easy OC to 2.16ghz sweet. Bought mid-2005 or so. And snappy in Windoze and handles the latest games. Pity it's been in a closet in a country far away from where I am now for the past two months, but that's another story...
  • Reply 82 of 199
    Quote:

Some perfectly good reasons the MBPro doesn't have C2D yet :

1) Most people don't read rumor sites, so they're still buying the existing models - especially with the release of new iPods, which is great advertising for the entire Apple Catalog. Apple would be stupid to update if they still have substantial stock of the old line and people are buying at a decent clip. Also, they know that the hardcore types like all of us that know there's a next generation coming will still buy one, even if we have to wait another couple of months. Thats the problem we all have with the Apple Monopoly.

2) Historically, Apple only updates each line twice a year, while Intel does so 4-6 times a year. So, either Apple will change it's policy (unlikely, as it would involve restructuring their factories more frequently, changing production numbers and estimates, changing their advertising schedules, etc.), or they'll be skipping every other Intel Update, most of which, historically, are minor speed bumps. The Merom's main feature, other than a pretty negligible speed bump, is 64-bit capability, but it might make sense for Apple to wait for 64-bit programs to take advantage of that, as well as wait for the 2nd-gen 64-bit chip, which will be noticeably better, and out in time for Xmas, anyways.

You make a convincing argument. One has to say though that Apple has been more aggressive than expected... Why did they need to move to Merom on the iMacs? Most consumers wouldn't know the difference... So Apple has a reason, and potential to be agressive. Particularly if we are talking about the pro line where there's more informed buyers (usually).
  • Reply 83 of 199
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nohm

Bah, I'm just wishing some kind of hardware/software update will be made so that rosetta will stop choking out when it comes to emulating Adobe software. For now, I'm gonna have to use my alternate PC workstation setup instead of fully switching to Mactel...I know, it's a shame. \

Why don't you just use CS2 through Parallels?
  • Reply 84 of 199
    Quote:

Thats the problem we all have with the Apple Monopoly.

Apple doesn't have a monopoly.
  • Reply 85 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

You make a convincing argument. One has to say though that Apple has been more aggressive than expected... Why did they need to move to Merom on the iMacs? Most consumers wouldn't know the difference... So Apple has a reason, and potential to be agressive. Particularly if we are talking about the pro line where there's more informed buyers (usually).

Again, Apple normally updates twice per year, but for highest media visibility, they need to spread those updates out over the year. They needed to release a new computer product leading up to their media event, (the last one to get updated was MacBook back in April, i think) and the iMac made the most sense, since the notebook line had the more recent updates. Also, it doesn't make much sense to update now, and then do so again when the next Intel chips come out in late November, which is also much closer to xmas. Dell, however, will probably update their top-of the line in November, then in January, then in March, etc. etc. Maybe we'll see iMac and MacBook alternate chip updates...
  • Reply 86 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Apple doesn't have a monopoly.

Who else is going to give you a computer with OS-X in it? Mac's come from a single source, PC's come from about 50 sources (not including hand-built frankenPCs). If I was a PC user who really wanted the latest and Toshiba wouldn't give it to me, I'd just get it from Dell. With Mac, we have no choice but to wait, unless we want to switch to PC (and most of us won't do this just to get a speed bump + 64-bit platform before there's 64-bit programs.)
  • Reply 87 of 199
    Quote:

Who else is going to give you a computer with OS-X in it?

You do not understand the meaning of the word "monopoly".

Quote:

Mac's come from a single source, PC's come from about 50 sources (not including hand-built frankenPCs).

Indeed, I have many dozens of vendors to pick from when I wish to buy a laptop or a desktop. The OS does not play a role in that, since I'm buying hardware, not software. If I wish to use Mac OS X, that is my choice to make, and not one Apple forces upon me.
  • Reply 88 of 199
    Quote:

You do not understand the meaning of the word "monopoly".

A monopoly implies complete control of a product or service. Apple Computers has a monopoly on Macintosh/OSX computers, as they are the only manufacturer/source for them. Who else builds them? On the other hand, you could get a PC/Windows computer from any number of manufacturers.

Quote:

Indeed, I have many dozens of vendors to pick from when I wish to buy a laptop or a desktop. The OS does not play a role in that, since I'm buying hardware, not software. If I wish to use Mac OS X, that is my choice to make, and not one Apple forces upon me.

So go out and buy your C2D and run OS/X, Logic Pro, transfer your Design software from your Powerbook G4, maybe even hook up your airport. Oh wait...
  • Reply 89 of 199
    Quote:

A monopoly implies complete control of a product or service.

A monopoly is a dominant position in a market. That market, here, is personal computers, and with Apple's share notoriously below 10%, it is hardly major. They have the fourth-biggest place, but there are many competitors, and none of them are in any way threatened by Apple in particular.

Quote:

Apple Computers has a monopoly on Macintosh/OSX computers, as they are the only manufacturer/source for them.

There is no such market.

Quote:

So go out and buy your C2D and run OS/X, Logic Pro, transfer your Design software from your Powerbook G4, maybe even hook up your airport. Oh wait...

No, you go and buy your Samsung X series, run Windows XP, buy Steinberg Cubase, migrate your music projects, and yes, you hook up your AirPort, which works just fine, including a Windows admin utility and firmware updater.
  • Reply 90 of 199
    oh another contribution. my lovely apple centre represntative a few weeks ago, around the 1st of september told me he think the imacs would get the merom chip first, then the mbps so as to distinguish them from the macbooks because at the present they're too similar. he said he couldnt see them changing the macbook to core2duo any time soon..... but then.... he was trying to sell me a coreduo so he was probably full of it
  • Reply 91 of 199
    Quote:

...PC's come from about 50 sources (not including hand-built frankenPCs)...

Most of us PC users (Mac users as well or not) with hand-built PCs prefer to refer to them as "custom rigs" or even better, "badass custom-built rigs" or "badass PC" or "badass gaming machine" etc. etc.

The Frankenstein reference doesn't apply because the reverse analogy is that you know, you've got 10 different types of heads, 20 different types of lungs and hearts and stuff to choose from. Quite methodical and not just cobbled together from old parts. Although that does happen to in the upgrading/ ebay trading process.

Uhhh I never read the book so I don't really know how the Frankenstein Monster was made.

Ummm I had a point here but I think I just wanted to use the word "badass" a lot.
  • Reply 92 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnbpr

...he said he couldnt see them changing the macbook to core2duo any time soon..... but then.... he was trying to sell me a coreduo so he was probably full of it

Heh. SELLING Apple machines is an entirely different ballgame/ cricketgame if you will from being an Apple user. Believe me. I lasted only 3 days, maybe less, as a Sales Trainee at an Apple reseller in Sydney. It was full-on. It's hard to be objective and be "on-the-side" of the consumer when your main goal is to continually clear your inventory at the cost your management/ Apple Regional HQ decides.
  • Reply 93 of 199
    Quote:

There is no such market.

Nothing bugs me more than people who get off on debating about insigificant points of semantics.

It is painfully obvious what Superbass is saying here: There is no second-source for hardware that can legally run MacOS X.

Therefore, a consumer who's unwilling/unable to switch to another OS and doesn't want to use unsupported "cracks" has no choice but to wait for Apple to get around to refreshing its hardware.
  • Reply 94 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnbpr

...[Merom] then [in] the mbps so as to distinguish them from the macbooks because at the present they're too similar. he said he couldnt see them changing the macbook to core2duo any time soon

The reseller totally contradicted himself in what he said - it's too similar now so it's going to be distinguished better but actually not any time soon.
  • Reply 95 of 199
    I'd like to see Chucker and Superbass get into it a bit more on the true definition of monopoly.
  • Reply 96 of 199
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Just to toss another ship date into the ring, I ordered yesterday (the 19th) with an expected ship date of the 28th.
  • Reply 97 of 199
    Damn... Checck it out... It's all slipping past the 25th...!! w000000t new Merom MBPs!!!!! Yay for Apple...!!

(I'm not being sarcastic there's a bit of vintage Kylie Minogue [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kylie] on the radio and it got me in a tizzy)
  • Reply 98 of 199
    Quote:

Some perfectly good reasons the MBPro doesn't have C2D yet :

1) Most people don't read rumor sites, so they're still buying the existing models - especially with the release of new iPods, which is great advertising for the entire Apple Catalog. Apple would be stupid to update if they still have substantial stock of the old line and people are buying at a decent clip. Also, they know that the hardcore types like all of us that know there's a next generation coming will still buy one, even if we have to wait another couple of months. Thats the problem we all have with the Apple Monopoly...

I'll try and be useful and interject here: I don't think there's an Apple Monopoly as such, it's more of a "standalone end-to-end system of hardware and software". Let's say we take the "market" to be the Consumer, Prosumer and Pro Information Technology market. As such, Apple does not have a monopoly. A monopoly is like, when you need electricity, and you can only get it from one company. In this case where, say you need to check email and print resumes and scan photos, you can get it from a range of companies offering different hardware and software that allows you to accomplish that. You can buy a PC. You can buy a Mac. You can buy both. You can run Windows on your Mac. You have many means to access the significant services you need.

When you talk about operating systems though, then we are talking about an oligopoly - since the only reasonable operating systems you can get are Windows 2000, XP, and Mac OS X. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligopoly
  • Reply 99 of 199
    "....An oligopoly is a market form in which a market or industry is dominated by a small number of sellers (oligopolists). The word is derived from the Greek for few sellers..."

"In an oligopoly, firms operate under imperfect competition, ...the product or service firms offer are differentiated and barriers to entry are strong. Following from the fierce price competitiveness created by this sticky-upward demand curve, firms utilize non-price competition in order to accrue greater revenue and market share..."

Sounds like some Operating Systems we use today? 8)
  • Reply 100 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

As such, Apple does not have a monopoly. A monopoly is like, when you need electricity, and you can only get it from one company.

Nope! We need to run OS X and we can only run it on Apple Mac products.!

Quote:

Apple Computers has a monopoly on Macintosh/OSX computers, as they are the only manufacturer/source for them.

There is no such market.

I think there is.. So I am a consumer. So there is a market.