Universal Microsoft Office for Mac to get new UI

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

says who?

We don't know much about this guy, though it does seem like an Apple app, but this is what people have been talking about.

http://www.x-tables.eu/more/overview.html
  • Reply 22 of 30
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha

Well of *course* it's going to be better than the old Office UI... *any* steaming pile of shit would be.

That doesn't mean it's good, or that the ribbon is a better widget than menus.

What do you do? Monitor for when your name pops up? That was awful fast!
  • Reply 23 of 30
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth

(The main thing I don't like about Office is there is still too much automatic stuff you can't turn off - if I type a date as Jul/2006 in Excel, it automatically changes it to either Jul-06 or Jul-2006. I have to change every cell. If I insert a hyperlink into Word, the Web toolbar automatically adds itself below my other toolbars, even though I don't want it).

Actually, you can turn-off a lot of that stuff. It is just that you have to go to at least two places to do it. The real tragedy of Word is that it is dumbing down the user base to the point where there will soon be few people who know how documents are supposed to be formatted.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

Office in Parallels is faster than office in Rosetta. In Parallels, it launches nearly instantly. Very snappy. You just need 1GB Ram minimum so you can allocate enough to Windows.

Thanks much. I appreciate the info. I'm set then.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

What do you do? Monitor for when your name pops up? That was awful fast!

Shhhhhhhhh...
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Quote:

Well of *course* it's going to be better than the old Office UI... *any* steaming pile of shit would be.

Haha, true that

Quote:

That doesn't mean it's good, or that the ribbon is a better widget than menus.

I'm delaying to actually try it out before passing judgement, but it does actually look like it'll be better than the menus were (at least for Office on Windows).
  • Reply 27 of 30
    We need someone to run benchmark comaprisons between Windows Office in CrossOver Mac, Windows Office in Windows on Parallels, and Mac Office in Rosetta...

Though I myself find the Open Office GUI quite nasty, I think I'll stick with Neo Office since it does more than I need, and its price is right.... and it already runs native on Intel Macs

Actually i think Neo Office is showing the future of Apps on Macs really early, as there is no Universal Binary version, just a Power PC version, and an Intel Version. I think its the only app on my MacBook Pro that says "Intel" on the Get Info screen and not "PowerPC" or "Universal" .... hmmm no I take that back, Crossover Mac Beta says "Intel" of course.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

I'm delaying to actually try it out before passing judgement, but it does actually look like it'll be better than the menus were (at least for Office on Windows).

True. I just don't see how the concept of a ribbon, as they've implemented it, is better than menus done *well*. That was MS's problem. Not that menus were a poor tool, but that they didn't know how to use them. So they ditch them completely and come up with a poor cousin to deflect from the fact they can't design with simple menus? Meh. Meh I say!
  • Reply 29 of 30
    At a recent briefing at my company MSFT explained that they spend the majority of their research dollars on two products:

Microsoft Office for Windows

Microsoft CRM

When Microsoft helped push my organization into an EA agreement, I raised the question "Well what about the Mac users?" Paying a fixed amount when there is no new version of Office on the horizon... PISSED ME OFF.

All of that said. I am happy to see there is a version of Office on the way. But, why is it the case, yet again, that MSFT appears to be doing a half a** job. Will Entourage finally be a client on par with Outlook for Exchange functionality. Will there be a true archiving solution? Will it support PST files? Will the Mac BU add Groove functionality into native Office. I mean with the announcement of Acrobat 8, how can they not? Are they afraid if users had a real choice, and the Office suite was at true parity with what is offered on the PC, that Enterprises would leave the PC platform in droves and never look back????

I think so. If either Bootcamp was GM now (with promised VISTA support, or Office 2007 for Mac was a true equal product, my organization would start to shift 4000 seats to OS X. The new Intel towers rock, OS X rocks. So. I am curious to see.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    The real problem with office 2007 is that they are dumping support for excel macro's / VB, or at least so I have heard...

This is the real killer problem... I need that backwards compatiblity.

I know that MS was a bit stuck, as Office uses Visual Basic for Applications, which was like Visual Basic... until they dumped that for VB.NET and suddenly office was stuck supporting an "old" version of VB.

But losing VB macros, particularly in Excel, is too painful... I'll not be giving that up in a hurry....

Michael