Apple posts Mac Pro, other software updates

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple Computer on Tuesday posted several software updates pertinent to users of its new Mac Pro desktops. The Mac maker also recently issued minor updates to both Front Row and QuickTime.

Mac Pro (mid 2006) EFI Firmware Update 1.0

This EFI Firmware Update (1.8MB) fixes several Boot Camp and start up issues on Mac Pro computers.

Firmware Restoration CD 1.1

This update (14.5MB) is used to restore the firmware of an Intel-based iMac (early & mid 2006), Mac mini (early 2006), MacBook Pro (early 2006), Mac Book (early 2006), or Mac Pro (mid 2006) to original factory condition.

Mac Pro SMC Firmware Update

The SMC Firmware Update (

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I haven't got a Mac Pro myself, but I've heard a couple of people say that the new firmware update causes MORE problems with BootCamp. These were people who didn't have any problems originally, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it Although, with that said, there is now a firmware restoration CD if the worst comes to the worst.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Mac Pro (mid 2006) EFI Firmware Update 1.0

This EFI Firmware Update (1.8MB) fixes several Boot Camp and start up issues on Mac Pro computers.

The Apple support page certainly does not clarify what was fixed. I think melgross pointed out that people were having problems with very slow SATA speed for Windows, does this fix that problem? I don't care to hack the XP CD.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    The EFI update does not fix the "Restart" problem I have been experiencing with my MacPro. \ Other users on Apple Discussion Forums have also reported this issue.

The problem is that many times when the system restarts (after using the Apple Menu's "Restart" command, or after a software restarts the machine), the system gets stuck trying to initialize the DVD drives... continues clicking and will never boot to the OS. The only way to get out of this mode is by power-cycling the machine!

Hopefully there will be another update soon.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I am still confused about the iTunes update to Front Row. The only thing that seems to have changed is the color of the eighth notes. I was expecting to be able to flip through my album art on front row like I can in iTunes. harumph.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skitzogreg

I am still confused about the iTunes update to Front Row. The only thing that seems to have changed is the color of the eighth notes. I was expecting to be able to flip through my album art on front row like I can in iTunes. harumph.

Wait on the "Complete Package?" with leopard...
  • Reply 6 of 10
    QuickTime 7.1.3 was released on the same day as iTunes 7.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stormchild

QuickTime 7.1.3 was released on the same day as iTunes 7.

"The Mac maker also recently issued minor updates to both Front Row and QuickTime."

Yeah.. front row and quicktime updates both came out last week... It's more of a roundup.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Does anyone know whether it is safe to apply the firmware update to my Mac Pro?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noah93

Does anyone know whether it is safe to apply the firmware update to my Mac Pro?

I have not seen any ill effects by applying the EFI and the SMC firmware updates.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Anyone experience problems with a PowerMac G5 after updating?