If the IPOD phone comes out....

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What service will it be on?

Im assuming Cingular?

I would hope that apple would do something that no other cellphone company has ever done, and that is create a phone that can be used on ANY provider. Or at least have it available in GSM and CDMA formats..

anyword on what provider will pick it up? Again I'm pretty sure it'll be cingular...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by socosurf4

Im assuming Cingular?

I would hope that apple would do something that no other cellphone company has ever done, and that is create a phone that can be used on ANY provider. Or at least have it available in GSM and CDMA formats..

anyword on what provider will pick it up? Again I'm pretty sure it'll be cingular...

I have no insider knowledge but simply put GSM is 2.5G and CDMA is 3G. 2.5G doesn't really support the broadband data that will be needed by future devices so it's hard to see Apple going that way. However GSM networks, particularly around the Globe, are more ubiquitous. This means better service for those of us on GSM now but in terms of a business model the GSM market is saturated and the CDMA market will expand. Therefore CDMA seems the way to go for Apple - I suspect it won't be as clear cut as all that though we may well see WiFi or EV-DO based VoIP etc etc based iPhone.

I take it Cingular is CDMA or GSM and not both.

Service providers in the UK offer both GSM and CDMA networks and similar price plans regardless of technology choice.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    cingular is gsm

i only say cingular because they already have phones with 'itunes' on them, so maybe apple has a deal with cingular?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Why is the itunes razor $150 more than the standard Razor? a$2 headphone jack and iTunes software do not add nearly enough value for the price of that thing!
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes

I have no insider knowledge but simply put GSM is 2.5G and CDMA is 3G. 2.5G doesn't really support the broadband data that will be needed by future devices so it's hard to see Apple going that way. However GSM networks, particularly around the Globe, are more ubiquitous. This means better service for those of us on GSM now but in terms of a business model the GSM market is saturated and the CDMA market will expand. Therefore CDMA seems the way to go for Apple - I suspect it won't be as clear cut as all that though we may well see WiFi or EV-DO based VoIP etc etc based iPhone.

I take it Cingular is CDMA or GSM and not both.

Service providers in the UK offer both GSM and CDMA networks and similar price plans regardless of technology choice.

GSM is actually considered 2.0G. CDMA2000 is 2.75G. It doesn't make a difference if they choose to put a GSM radio in it as long as they include an HSDPA radio - an evolution of the GSM infrastructure, considered 3.5G.

In the U.S., Cingular is GSM, as well as T-mobile and ATTWS. Verizon, Sprint are CDMA + evolution. So as long as they give us a choice of whether GSM or CDMA, it will be ok. (that rhymes)8)
  • Reply 5 of 12
    to gain the most market share it would be wise to let it be used on any network. just a thought.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by socosurf4

The service will be called "Mobile Me®", get ready.. cause it's coming.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    they will most likely be a MVNO provider. That way they could offer their own service and features.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

to gain the most market share it would be wise to let it be used on any network. just a thought.

I doubt GSM data rates would satify the needs of an Apple iPhone. Mac user's are well used to leaving legacy tech behind. (OS 9, 68k, PowerPC, Floppy Disks etc etc).
  • Reply 9 of 12
    ok yea you guys are way off. GSM and CDMA are not 2g or 3g they are cellular standards. now the internet technologies they use are either 2.5g (EDGE for GSM) or 3g (HSDPA, WCDMA or UMTS on GSM and EV-DO on CDMA) right now T-Mobile and Cingular both have 2.5g networks (edge) and cingular has begun to roll out its 3g network (HSDPA), t-mobiles is coming sometime 2007. verizon and sprint have 3g which is EV-DO and there are different revissions (a&B i think ). GSM is adopted around the world so theres 99% chance the iPhone will be GSM and MAYBE they will make a CDMA version but who knows. when it comes to which is better they both have advantages but id say GSM is better cause its worldwide and ive found it to be more reliable. as for cingular gettin the phone know one knows. the deal they have is with Motorola who has a deal with Apple. cingular has no deal with apple. hope this helps.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shady104

ok yea you guys are way off. GSM and CDMA are not 2g or 3g they are cellular standards. now the internet technologies they use are either 2.5g (EDGE for GSM) or 3g (HSDPA, WCDMA or UMTS on GSM and EV-DO on CDMA) right now T-Mobile and Cingular both have 2.5g networks (edge) and cingular has begun to roll out its 3g network (HSDPA), t-mobiles is coming sometime 2007. verizon and sprint have 3g which is EV-DO and there are different revissions (a&B i think ). GSM is adopted around the world so theres 99% chance the iPhone will be GSM and MAYBE they will make a CDMA version but who knows. when it comes to which is better they both have advantages but id say GSM is better cause its worldwide and ive found it to be more reliable. as for cingular gettin the phone know one knows. the deal they have is with Motorola who has a deal with Apple. cingular has no deal with apple. hope this helps.

just read something online cingular is actually launching 3.5g and t-mobile will have 3g by the end of 2007.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    i think they will sell it in the stores and it will be available for most carriers...well thats what they should do. that would increase sales in major ways.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacsRbetterthanPC

i think they will sell it in the stores and it will be available for most carriers...well thats what they should do. that would increase sales in major ways.

in theory yes but making 2 different versions a CDMA and a GSM version seems like a waste. they will probably make one or the other and if it does well theyll make the other. and most likely that would be GSM since you can walk in buy the iphone pop in ur sim card and go. if u have verizon or sprint you have to buy the phone call ur provider pay a fee and have them register the phone so u can use it.